Thursday, March 15, 2018

Slave to Technology

The laptop’s annoying blue screen was something I could live with and was living with. However, the backspace key becoming inoperable was the Achilles heel that sent me to the Geek Squad yesterday.
Thanks be to the Universe for that Achilles heel, because it was a keyboard corruption issue, covered by the warranty, and the warranty was set to expire in 10 days.
Dodged an expensive bullet there.
As things stand, the laptop was shipped out to the service center for keyboard replacement. When returned to the geeks, they will do a factory reset – wipe everything out, make it as though just purchased, out of the box. I then go back, give them the virus protect and Office cards to reinstall and, supposedly, things will be “technical bliss”.
Inasmuch as my faith in Windows is nil, I seriously doubt things will be blissful because Windows 10 will run yet another unstoppable update and another and another.
I think I heard some time back that Bill Gates might run for POTUS. If that happens, he won’t get my vote because, if he runs the country the way he’s running his Microsoft Windows Product, we’ll be plagued with daily updates, malfunctions, crashes, corruption, aggravation, frustration.
Oh wait … we’re already having those from the current POTUS aren’t we.
I’m such a slave to technology (television, cell phone, computer) that the idea of being without any one of those for a day, let alone a month, would ordinarily drive me to drink. Fortunately, I solved being without a laptop when Windows 10 sent the HP in for service last time. I’m coming to you now from a backup – the little Dell. Inasmuch as updates are now beginning to run unstoppably on the Dell, it’s probably just a matter of time before this laptop fails me as well.
Oh … and that blue screen on the HP meant the operating system had been corrupted.
All in all, that’s a lot of damage to a laptop not yet a year old. One that I only used for blogging, manipulating photos, browsing the internet, Facebook, Instagram, playing Candy Crush and AlphaBetty Saga.
I asked the technician if I could turn it in as a down payment on a MAC. He never answered the question, instead said, “You paid a lot for this laptop”.
He got that right, too much to be having these kinds of issues.
He went on to say, “It’s top of the line”, that it’s got a this and a that, etc.
If this is top of the line with all these issues, I’d hate to own bottom of the line.
At any rate, we’ll see how things are when the laptop is returned to the geeks, they do what they do and all is said and done. But honestly, I hope the laptop gets lost in the process, so they’ll have to pay me for the loss and I can take the money and head over to the Apple store.
By the way, there were three other customers in for laptop repair. All three were the same brand as mine … HP’s with Windows 10.
This afternoon is the Residents/Management meeting.
Since I bungled arriving at the correct time last month, and missed all the action, I’m setting my alarm for 2:45 to make sure I’m downstairs by 3:00.
If it’s raining as hard at 3:00 as it is now – rain so heavy and so hard that it sounds like the angels are throwing rocks at us, I doubt many residents will attend.

4 comments:

  1. BTW, are those your boots. Damn those are nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not my boots. But I did have a pair very similar back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Apple products--MacBook Pro and iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The windows fiasco is going to net Apple a lot of business.

    ReplyDelete