End of another week here in La La Land.
I had to make a run by the bank yesterday, where I got a new riddle for you.
"Why don't mummies take time off?"
I'll wait for your guess but, in the interim, Craft Wednesday didn’t happen but, shortly after the time Crafts was scheduled to begin, a group text message went out from Crafty Lady …… "I’m in the clubhouse if anyone wants to come join me, even if it’s just to talk".
All of a sudden, I could hear Barbara Streisand in my head singing People Who Need People.
Along with everything else I’ve deduced about Crafty Lady is that she's reading as one of those …… a people who needs people.
She’s gotten very close to some of the Usual Suspects in the short time she’s lived here.
According to an October 9th post on Facebook, Crafty Lady got together with Talker, Talker’s sister, three others, went out for lunch at Fire Wings.
I’ve seen this scenario happen here before, where there’s all this neighborly involvement quick fast because people seem to NEED people.
Remember Red Light?
She too came in like gangbusters, got very involved in the community.
She, Talker, Talker’s sister and others often met up for lunch, went to Senior Expos, Church Fairs and other events together.
Red Light tried to rope me into that let’s all get cozy and too familiar with each other, but I’d declined turning neighbors into besties.
In fact, when I saw online that the Golden Futures Senior Exhibit was coming to town, I signed up, got my ticket early on.
THEN, Red Light somehow got wind of the exhibit, got a group together, invited me to attend with them. Of course, since I declined, I didn't dare use my ticket, chance the risk of running into one of them, which I surely would have.
Some people just enjoy doing things alone, and being left alone.
There's that old Rudyard Kipling saying from his poem "The Winners" …… "He travels the fastest who travels alone," but those ladies would not have been able to understand that.
Since my teen years, I've often been labled as "stuck up", got bullied for it even, just because I'm quiet, enjoy my own company more than being in the company of others.
So, anyway, as for this current togetherness, think back on how all that previous togetherness with Red Light ended …… hateful text messages, threats, hurt feelings.
Familiarity breeds.
Though a beautiful song, I could never buy that people who needed people were lucky. Seemed more like people who needed people were codependent, not comfortable being alone with their own thoughts, alone with their own selves.
I don’t know that, after the text message, anyone went down to the Community Room, but I do know no one responded to the text.
Time will tell how this saga ends but for now, even though Crafts seems to be dying, I got included in a text message that indicated the Usual Suspects are already gearing up for a Thanksgiving event.
Can we get through Halloween first?
As for "Why don't mummies take time off?"
My guess was because they're all wrapped up in their work.
The teller said, "Oh that's a good one, but the answer is "Because they're afraid to unwind".
BREAKING NEWS. Just as I was finishing up this post, I got a text message from Crafty Lady …… "Good morning beautiful, just checking on you, making sure you're alright. I made something for you. When you're free let me know so I can get it to you."
Instantly, Anne Marie popped up in my head with an exasperated "JESUS F__KING CHRIST!!!".
Why is it so hard for her to leave me alone?
I'm not the least bit interested in what she's gone through the trouble to make for me, but replied that I would check into the Community Room either Monday or Tuesday.
That was a lie.
I'm feeling very annoyed and have no plans to check in with the seniors until the Halloween event.
I don't want to be cruel, hurt her feelings, but when I don't show up on Monday or Tuesday, do you think she'll finally get the message?

Wild guess: she will never get the message. As a fellow introverted I get this. People who can't imagine enjoying being alone, and think clearly you need them. One of my friends who moved into assisted living to get on with her art without her kids worrying about her safety all.the.time. was told by a new neighbor that the whole point of living here is to socialize! Arghghgh.
ReplyDeleteThat's too funny to think socializing is the point of senior living. Seems like whoever said that just wants to get into everyone else's business. I hope Crafty Lady gets it before I lose my shit and blow up at her to leave me alone. It's been known to happen.
DeleteGood call - to be at peace with yourself and comfortable with your own thoughts and company keeps you out of trouble.
ReplyDeleteWill Jay
I know that's right 👍
DeleteThere are many who cannot take a hint. One would think, though, at an elderly age in life they should have enough life knowledge to know when to back off.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it's her background as a Deputy Sheriff .... keep pushing until the criminal, in this case myself, cracks.
DeleteBoth answers to the Mummy riddle are inspired!
ReplyDeleteDid you venture a guess or gave up?
DeleteAs a very wise person told me a long time ago, 'No' is a complete sentence and no explanation is required. The answer is to kindly but assertively tell Crafty Lady that you're not interested hanging out in the Community Room. By saying you would check in you left things open to interpretation.
ReplyDeleteI'm just a girl that can't say no. I express no in various ways and it's up to the other party to get what I'm signaling, just have never been able to say the word.
DeleteDealing with Crafty Lady is somewhat of a slippery slope. Stand your ground. If there was anything I learned in being a psych nurse for 25 years is....BOUNDRIES! Those that can't respect them....let me help you! Sometimes it's a kiss and a slap. Recognition comes slow for many. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteParanormal John
Thanks, John. With all things considered going on and not going on here, this aggravation may be signaling it's time to think seriously about moving.
DeleteI thought the riddle's answer was "Because a Mummy's work is never done", LOL! As for the Crafty Lady, perhaps you just need to wear a T-shirt with that African proverb on it. Either that or Greta Garbo's famous quote, "I Vant To Be Alone".
ReplyDeleteLOL, nice try but wrong kind of mummy. I've always associated with Greta's famous line.
DeleteLove the Mummy joke. I have a similar problem with Prom King. I told him, as softly as I could, my friend's experience with not one, but two, scammers. He thinks he checked her out, etc. No problem. He's a grown man and he's been warned. Now he's taken to sending me little texts saying thanks for being a friend and sleep well. Don't want it, don't need it. I finally had to block him on my phone. I don't know if he can tell I bloced him but his little messages irritate me and my well-being is more important than his hurt feelings might be. I guess that is the curse of people who are comfortable with themselves in their own little world. I do enjoy the Table Talk but if there are too many people, or they are too loud, or (just about any reason), I give them a quick hi and go back in the house. So, yes, I know where you are coming from.
ReplyDeleteIf he's now pestering you, does that mean the scammers didn't work out? Maybe you too need a shirt with a sign. Yours should say ... "Don't even think about it".
DeleteArgh! To quote your sidebar: Sometimes people come into your life and they need to stop doing that!
ReplyDelete🤣 Classic example of why they need to stop.
DeleteI heard Anne Marie's voice, too! JFC, take a hint, lady.
ReplyDeleteI have a bad feeling that, instead of trying to avoid her, I'm going to have to muster up the courage to take the direct approach ... hurt her feelings by telling her to go the F away, leave me alone.
DeleteAll this makes me want to say again, out loud, that I don't like people ... well, except for some, but don't think just because we're both people I need you in my life.
ReplyDeleteTake a step back, y'all!
Amen. What the world needs now is not love sweet love but less people.
ReplyDeleteI'm a loner too. I don't like to be around any people around here.
ReplyDeleteThere is a time and a place for involvement with other people.
DeleteYou could just put a sign on your door saying "COVID - stay out!"
ReplyDeleteROFLMAO! That might be a good idea if Kesha follows up on her threat of knocking on doors, rounding us seniors up.
Delete