After being told, seeing the plans for, and experiencing a Starbucks Effects rent increase back in 2019, only to later be disappointed when the proposed Starbucks on the corner turned into a Seven Eleven, I was skeptical when hearing last year’s rumor of a proposed Starbucks across from the Pain Cave, on the same lot as the market.
Skeptical, that is until, walking out of the Pain Cave back in January, I saw construction had begun.
Since then, though I’m no longer working out in the Pain Cave, I’ve been keeping my eye on construction.
Finally, last week as I was driving by, I saw cars lined up at the drive thru, but it wasn’t until Sunday that, after grocery shopping, I walked across the parking lot to the newly opened Starbucks.
Now that I can literally walk to Starbucks, there won’t be the daily habit I once had. For one, my gut will now only allow Starbucks infrequently. Also, the cost is prohibitive.
The price of a Venti Half-Caf Americana is now $4.75 and, inasmuch as I always leave a dollar tip, plus the quarter change, that would be $6.00 a day.
A treat, once in a blue moon, will suffice.
I’ve got a lot of Starbucks memorabilia — Christmas tree ornaments, tote bags, an apron, not to mention coffee cups up the wazoo, but couldn’t resist the little Lid Stopper, designed to prevent the leaks and burns I sometimes get in transporting.
![]() |
| Sooo cute |
It’s so far so good with my sabbatical from Crafts. Other than a text message … "Good afternoon beautiful. I'm just checking on you", when I didn’t show up for Monday’s craft session, it’s been better than good thus far with no contact, no further text messages.
Even my energy level is back on par.
I’d been experiencing an energy drain for weeks. I was going downhill fast, couldn’t manage 10 minutes on the treadmill, and couldn’t determine where the leak was coming from … source of the drain.
Amazingly, as soon as I disconnected from Crafts — being in Craft Lady’s presence, I began to feel like my old self. Just yesterday and today, I was back to 30 minutes on the treadmill, a few minutes on the cross trainer, back to the treadmill for a 10-minute cooldown.
I believe she’s, what is known in spiritual circles as, an Energy Vampire.
In regular secular circles, according to google, "An energy vampire is a person whose interactions leave you feeling emotionally exhausted, depleted, or anxious. These individuals are often manipulative, demanding, and negative, and they may use charm or victimhood to gain attention and control. Symptoms of encountering an energy vampire include feeling drained, physically tense, or emotionally deflated after spending time with them."
I doubt any of the others around her are feeling "drained, exhausted, depleted", as she comes across as just a normal good neighbor and the others aren't very deep, if you know what I mean.
I empath, so I can feel and sense with the others can't … that she's working hard to come across as the lovely, generous, helpful, involved neighbor she appears to be, and I don't doubt that she's sincerely being that. However, I can feel and sense that she's putting in a lot of effort to sincerely be those things, that it's hard work for her as there are underlining issues she's trying hard to keep at bay so she won't be judged, can fit in.
It's my empathing … sensing/feeling/knowing how exhausting this must be for her that's causing her to be a drain on my life force, an energy vampire.
I can't spend a lot of time around her.
It's all good now and looks like I’ll be on sabbatical until Halloween, and then just a drive by through the Community Room to see if Halloween is the dud it’s being set up to be.



I literally don't expose myself to anyone I know to be an Energy Vampire. I have a lot of Starbucks memorabilia and do like it, tho', like you, it's a rare Luxury now to have one, the cost plus it's not exactly Diabetic Friendly, makes it less frequent than having a nice Coffee from Home. I just am writing of Coffee in the Blog Post Creation for Today... been seeing some certainly Odd/Weird Holiday Coffee Flavors... like Oatmeal Cream Pie... WTF?! *LOL* I never even knew there is such a thing as an Oatmeal Cream PIE, let alone want that flavor profile in my Coffee.
ReplyDeleteThe thing with Starbucks memorabilia, is that you've got to grab it when you see it. Sells out fast. They generally don't have nice/interesting things any longer, so I was lucky to walk up on one of the two last lid stoppers they had. I'm missing keeping up with your blog, still can't get in on laptop or phone, and I've tried two other laptops.
DeleteWell, hopefully you will be able to log in coz it is frustrating when you can't use alternative devices to access Blogs, I've had it happen too with my Phone at time. I don't own a Laptop.
DeleteWhatever the problem will eventually correct itself. Problems on blogger come and go. I see the stats went back down to normal and I'm no longer getting that google search engine message when I post, so this too will work itself out ..... eventually.
DeleteWe had a small coffee shop build between me and my old office. I figured I would be stopping way to often on my way to work. Luckily they were as slow as molasses in the morning and it wasn't worth getting up early enough to spend the big bucks to wait in line and buy a coffee. Saved me a bundle.
ReplyDeleteThey should have been set up for phone orders, have your coffee ready. But they did you a favor to be slow as molasses, because you did save a bundle ... and your valuable time.
DeleteI find Starbucks coffee way too strong for me, so I never drink it. I do have a friend, however, who is hooked on its London Fog and drinks one pretty much every day. And yes, energy vampires are the worst. There always seemed to be at least one in pretty much every workplace I was in, worse luck. I got very skilled at avoiding them as much as possible.
ReplyDeleteIt is very strong coffee but, in my hay day when it was cheaper and one could take the cup back for refills, I went through two/three large cups a day. I had kids to take care of, school, a fulltime job, I needed to be wired all the time, LOL. The thing with energy vampires is you don't realize what they are until after you begin to feel the effects. If you're smart, like you and I, then you run like hell.
DeleteGlad you’re feeling better. I’ve know many energy vampires. I do still enjoy my Starbucks. I don’t like their regular coffee, but the special drinks and snacks make me happy. And you can count on quality and a comfortable place to sit (if there’s ever a seat).
ReplyDelete"A comfortable place to sit" and free Wi-Fi, LOL.
DeleteWe have a local coffee place here in town in the bookstore where I'll; get my coffee fix. It's quiet and yet you always see someone you know ... small town life.
ReplyDeleteAs for the energy vampires is a stake through the heart too much? Or is it easier to avoid them after they arise from their coffins?
I can't stand the sight of blood, so easier for me to avoid, LOL.
DeleteI've never liked Starbucks coffee, to me it tastes burnt. And the prices! Ridiculous. I'll continue to enjoy my home brew (as I'm doing right this instant) and giving SB a pass.
ReplyDeleteEnergy vampires? I was raised by one. It's a relief to no longer be in contact with her. Those people will suck the life right out of you.
Yes, if one goes daily, the prices will bankrupt the budget, yet I've seen folks do it and I myself used to be a junkie. I do now make coffee at home, but there's just nothing like the occasional SB. I myself didn't grow up in the happiest of circumstances, but can't imagine the horror of living 24/7 through childhood with an energy vampire.
DeleteI hope Halloween isn't too much of a dud because I know you enjoy it so much- plus you have the best ideas for costumes. JanF
ReplyDeleteIt's not looking good. Haven't even seen that others have decorated their patios this year. The complex feels joyless right now.
DeleteI'm confused. There's a little doodad to plug up the hole in your coffee lid to keep it from splashing out? Are you jogging? Is the road bumpy with pot holes. What a violent Starbucks cup! The couple of times a year I get a Starbucks, I confirm I don't like it. I drink tea; it's less traumatic. Try Constant Comment tea; it comes in decaf too; has a nice orange spice taste. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteJust setting the hot coffee in the car's cup holder and removing it later can cause a splash. Tea is not my jam.
DeleteIt's never fun to be the only one decorating for Halloween. There's one other apartment that decorated a little here. Hopefully you're feeling better. I like Starbucks but I only get it once in a while too.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm feeling back to normal. I can't believe the lack of decorating around here this year. Hopefully they'll get in gear for Christmas decorating, but I doubt it.
DeleteAs a 25 year psych RN, I can attest to the Emotional Vampire theory. Yep. It's real. Working with this type of Indvidual 8 hours a day was a challenge.
ReplyDeleteYou get into all that transference /countertransference. I've had people in my personal life that fit this category and out the door they went! I wasn't getting paid for that shit.
Glad Starbucks moved in so you can get that occasional 'treat'. The Starbuck souvenirs are really cute. Enjoy a cuppa on the occasion.
Paranormal John
"wasn't getting paid for that shit", LOL. I may actually set up my little horseshoe Christmas tree, which I've not taken the time to do for a few years, display some of the Starbuck ornaments.
DeleteI think it's a love or hate thing with Starbucks. Never having been one for sweetened, whip cream filled coffees, I prefer McCafe or Tim Hortons coffee with just cream if I'm out and about. And I just learned last year that SB's logo is a mermaid, which I had always thought was a princess, LOL!
ReplyDelete"A princess" ... LOL. A princess with a tail. If you look at some of the merchandise, the tail is visible. Starbucks' mermaid is more like a mythical siren that lulls people into her lair to buy expensive coffee.
DeletePlease watch this - you'll never buy a Venti again!! https://youtu.be/0aJKCRz6GYk
ReplyDeleteWHOA! Lesson learned.
DeleteSWMBO and I just had a discussion of "empaths". She said an empath is someone who feels empathy for another person. I think your version goes a little deeper than that but that you're both right in your own ways. And that Starbucks' trick would make me never go into one again. Except that I've only been to one a few times many years ago when we'd visit one at a Barnes & Noble bookstore in Phoenix and get an iced mocha for the road.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely not one to feel empathy. I'm more the "You create your own reality". But I do empath, which is to feel, sense, know things about others, so your interpretation is more correct in my case. Thanks to Margaret opening my eyes, I'll be ordering A Small next time I visit Starbucks.
Delete