Saturday, October 18, 2025

Blood and Bandaging

It was around September of last year when management announced repairs were "costing the company too much". That in the future, us residents would be charged for repairs to our units ……… holes in the wall, the garbage disposal breaks down, the toilet refuses to flush, a lightbulb goes out, our responsibility now.

Excuse me, but I thought repairs, unless the result of a resident’s damage, is the cost management pays for owning/managing; but oh well ……… things are different around here.

It was late Thursday when the dome light over the bathroom sink went out.

I put in a maintenance request and Assistant Maintenance Guy showed up the next day.

Holding a box in hand, that I thought was rather large for a lightbulb, he said, "You know this will cost you $15".

Yes, I knew management announced we'd be charged for lightbulbs. I did not know it would cost $15; but I’d already considered the cost of falling/hurting myself, had I tried to climb up on the counter, replace the lightbulb myself, so I told him to go ahead with the work.

"Take a check down to the office when you get a chance said he", as he walked into the bathroom to replace the bulb.


I was surprised to see it wasn’t a regular lightbulb, but some kind of circular lighting thingie that he attached to the electric cords inside the dome.

No way could I have made the replacement myself. I don’t think any of us could have done the work, or if it was even safe for us to try.

I'm now thinking some, when the dome light goes out, probably just do without rather than pay $15.

So, anyway, the plan was to walk a check down to the office on Monday, with a notation on the check that I was paying for the light thingie, which meant that if I ever moved, the light was coming with me because I paid for it. But then I thought to investigate if it is even legal for management to charge us for repairs that fall under normal wear/tear.

Google tells me, "A property management company generally cannot charge residents for routine repairs in California because landlords are legally responsible for maintaining a safe and habitable property. However, residents can be charged for damage they or their guests caused. Some management companies may charge a separate fee for coordinating repairs, which should be clearly outlined in the lease".

Nothing about being responsible for lightbulbs, garbage disposal, toilet is in the lease I signed back in 2012. Maybe they revised the lease, but I’ve never signed a revised lease.

The plan now is to wait and see.

If the office calls about payment, or sends a bill, I’ll say I’ve discovered it’s illegal to charge for normal wear/tear.

If they say it’s in the lease, I’ll walk my lease down and say "Show me where it says that".

It’s only $15, but since they don't spend money on events for us, there should be plenty of money in the coffers to shoulder the cost of necessary repairs to their own property.

In other news …… If you will recall, I wasn’t totally happy with the pouch I came up with to hold the newly acquired medical device, reworked the pouch into a 60’s/70’s style tribal medicine bag.

Pouch

Medicine Bag

The plan was to make two more — one from faux leather, one from denim.

Today, I finally got around to making those bags.

Wasn’t easy, as I was trying out different methods and designs as I went along; and there was a lot of Ouch, Ouch, Ouch as the pins somehow kept finding my fingers, treated me like a voodoo doll. At one point, there was even blood and bandaging.


Took all day, but I’m pleased with results.





26 comments:

  1. Tenancy laws differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but here in Canada, tenants are responsible for providing their own lightbulbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe our management is confused. Think California is Canada because they both start with "C".

      Delete
  2. I love them. Very cute. And I agree on the withholding payment on the light bulb until contacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anymore ceiling lights go out, think I'll switch to candles, let the next Inspector that comes through give them a violation.

      Delete
  3. Wherever I’ve rented or when we briefly owned a rental unit, light bulbs were the tenant’s responsibility. As for the rest, your management will make sure it’s to their benefit. Your pouches are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was my personal lamp, I could understand the lightbulb being my responsibility, but when it's their built-in lighting, makes no sense to me. But I guess when you're a greedy corporation, every dollar you can bring in counts.

      Delete
  4. I lived in quite a few apartments and I never paid for repairs or even frigging light bulbs!!! I've never heard of that because it wasn't MY property. Now, damage when I left? Yeah, I would pay, but not while living there.
    Stand firm.
    I love the new pouches; you are quite talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I've lived in a place that charged tenants for repairs. Highly suspicious for a Corporation as large as this and I hope it bites them in the legal butt one day.

      Delete
  5. Your new pouches are so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Feel very hippy dippy when I'm wearing one.

      Delete
  6. It sounds as if they're testing the limits. I agree, make them show you where the lease says that. Or issue everyone with updated leases showing the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may very well end in an updated lease for me, but I'll be satisfied having made them work for the $15, LOL.

      Delete
  7. You do such exquisite hand sewing. Still wish you'd get a smart watch though.
    Correct lighting makes the difference between a possible fall = possible end for a senior, even if they get away with charging for other repairs ( questionable) they should make sure everyone has good lighting. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked my doctor about a smart watch that could track blood pressure. She said unreliable. As for management making sure we have good lighting .... they could care less.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you're standing your Ground about the Lightbulb since it is an illegal practice to charge for routine Maintenance on a Rental, it is here too in Arizona, it's Property Management's Responsibility and Legal Obligation. They are probably lining their own pockets and not making a record of those Payments I suspect. Bulbs that are Specialty are expensive tho', so $15 for the one I see is probably what they actually do cost Retail, I've had to pay $10 for a small Specialty Bulb and they're hard to Source, sometimes impossible, so we plan to replace our Bathroom Light Fixtures for that reason, so we can just use regular Bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've brought up something that might be a good question to ask if we ever have another residents/management meeting ..... what do you do with the money you're charging us for normal wear/tear repairs which, btw, is illegal here in California. I can't wait for another meeting so I can bring it up.

      Delete
  9. Out here in the fields of Kansas, I've always had to replace my unit's light bulbs. One duplex I rented said I was responsible for blinds or curtains. Now that I'm over 50, (bet you are too,) yep, I don't change anything on the ceiling. I save the list for when my son can come over and do it, or for my sweet tall neighbors across the hall. I had too many patients end up in the hospital for trying that stuff: bad eye bruises, broken facial bones, broken legs. Nooooo. That IS a WEIRD lightbulb. They shouldn't charge you. I even keep the frosted domes off of my ceiling light units, because I can see better! Good luck; stay outta jail. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be surprised if they make us responsible for blinds, curtains, even the air we breathe at some future time. I just read where there was an arrest at Travis' home. I was hoping it was Travis, LOL, but it was arrest of a process server instead.

      Delete
  10. You did well on the pouches. I would think it would be illegal to make you pay for routine maintenance like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insofar as I can determine, it is illegal in California. I'm waiting to see what they'll do when I refuse to pay.

      Delete
  11. Unless that specialized lightbulb burns out every month, $15 isn't an unreasonable charge to get a new one installed. Why risk a fall for $15? I use LED bulbs in all my light fixtures and they last for 7 or 8 years before burning out. I provide new ones and our maintenance guy climbs the ladder to change them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was some kind of specialized lightbulb, but I bet management gets a bulk deal on them, then charges us $15. This place is a scam.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks! The supplies had been lying around, taking up space, while I waited for inspiration to hit. Glad it finally hit and all the clutter now cleared away.

      Delete
    2. Very clever of you on all counts! JanF

      Delete