Thursday, May 2, 2024

Much Ado About Nothing

A lot of goings on today. First was the telephone call from the Physician’s Assistant to give me results of the ER tests.

Leading up to the call, I received reminders during the week to expect the call between 12:30 and 1:30. At 1:00 sharp the phone rings. The PA identifies herself then asks, "How may I help you today?"

Insert pregnant pause, because the conversation starting off with "How may I help you" had me at a loss for words.

Once I found my words, said I was confused, she said she was responding to a call I’d made to my doctor’s office requesting the doctor call me back.

Yet another screw up by my provider.

"No", said I, "I was told a doctor would call me to go over test results".

It took a little while for her to do some research, but finally got it right saying, "Oh, I see".

Long and short of it is you readers are stuck with me a little while longer. Feeling dizzy fading in/out is attributed to "A temporary drying of kidneys due to dehydration". Something about a "Flotation Rate of 54 dropping to 48".

Odd diagnosis, but I guess I'll have to take their word for it and drink more water.

When I asked the PA how that relates to my BP running much higher than normal, she didn’t seem to even realize that had been an issue, but upped the medication dosage by half.

In the interim, I am to take my regular pill, then ¼ of another pill. A gradual build up so as not to drop BP too low.

So, there you have it. Much ado about very little.

Once the call was terminated and I was in the kitchen making lunch, I saw Next Door Neighbor’s two caregivers arrive.

So, that mystery is solved …… they are not live ins and NDN was up and around inside yesterday, able to remove the calendar from her door.

A short while later, I observed the caregivers gently leading NDN down the stairs and out to a car.

Another check up at the hospital perhaps?

But wait, there's more ……… shortly after NDN left, I heard banging and clanging.

Looking out the patio window, I spied a Budget Moving Van and Red Light’s family helping her to move out.

Like I said, lots going on today.

I just thought, that with the PA having handled the BP meds, I can cancel the June appointment with my doctor, who I’ve not seen in two years.

It's looking like you were correct, Linda in Kansas, about access to doctors being replaced by Masters Level providers. At the rate it’s been going, I expect I'll never see my regular doctor again and, hopefully, be blessed with no issues in future that cause me to have to deal with the Medical Center again.

35 comments:

  1. Whew. We can all rest now. When one of our little family is under the weather we all worry. Now, can I get you a glass of water toots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'll take a glass, but I don't want to bother you with it, so have the pool boys deliver.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad it was just dehydration and nothing more serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also get dehydrated very easily. In fact when I was living in AZ my kidney numbers were very low. Since I began drinking only Smart Water (and leaving AZ) my kidneys have really improved and I do not get so easily dehydrated. Try drinking Smart Water instead of regular water. It has no taste. Just like water. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of smart water, but will check it out.

      Delete
  4. I've read that dehydration can be a common health issue, especially among seniors. So it's a serious thing but easily resolved by drinking more water regularly, so that's a good thing. Wouldn't it be worthwhile to keep that June appointment with your doctor and have his/her input on your blood pressure medication too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's so hard to get in to see her, it might be wise to hold onto the appointment ...... just in case.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you got good news and a plan going forward;l water really is the elixir of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew? I thought the water in coffee would suffice.

      Delete
    2. That coffee comment sounds like my husband, he's always trying to use his consumption of coffee as an offset for water. NO, it's more of a diuretic and will do your kidneys more harm than good. Drink more water. You really will feel better for it.

      Delete
    3. So I've recently learned that coffee is a diuretic, and one must refill the tank with water.

      Delete
  6. I'm slowly learning, and your story supports this, telemedicine or whatever they call it, isn't worth the bother. I've got a cardiologist who claims that we had a telephone conversation in January 2023, when in fact he left a voicemail message that opened with "reference to your recent hospitalization" . I had not been hospitalized, so he was obviously was reading someone else's chart. Unfortunately I did not save the voicemail message. I'm going to see him on May 8th, but after my experience with the telephone appointment, I'm going to insist on a proper office visit if there is any follow up.

    You are the best advocate for your health.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about our being the best advocate for our health. I had to experience one too many times when I went in for something and they either did nothing or made it worse and then tried to sell me on medications with awful side effects before I learned not to listen to them, research symptoms and find natural cures on my own.

      Delete
  7. Well, that’s great news despite the random way it was delivered. Too bad about all the stress leading up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I wasn't stressed at all. Being a practical go with the flow type, I began preparing just in case granddaughter's dream came true and began death cleaning the unit... shredding unnecessary paperwork, tossing things I'd been hanging onto for no reason and didn't want family to have to deal with.

      Delete
  8. A bit of dehydration - ah, good news. You're so active, so that makes sense.
    As I've mentioned, I've never actually met "my" doctor, and kinda hope I never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your having never met your doctor at all is incredible. Not surprising but incredible.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you are reconsidering cancelling your June appointment. Drinking more water is an easy fix, so happy that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Going to try Smart Water as suggested by Roberta.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear it wasn't anything major. We'd miss you if you weren't around. All the best. Viv

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dehydration in seniors is a serious thing and a common cause for falls that lead to nursing homes. The good news is there's an easy fit: Drink more water. The bad news is: You have to do it EVERYDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, please keep your appointment with the doc. Make a list of questions for him/her as you think of them. My allergist has me see his NPs for flare-ups of my asthma, then once or twice a year I see the doc. Works just fine. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew! Next? Water, water, water.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, the old need-to-drink-more-water. So simple, but so easily overlooked. Sigh. I’ve been putting 2 small half filled water bottles in the freezer at a tilt. Take a frozen bottle out, add water to the ice, and sip cool water for a while. Refill and switch bottles. So far, so good. Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it but seems impossible to drink the recommended 91 fluid ounces recommended for women.

      Delete
  15. (And May the 4th be with you!). Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder. I almost missed the significance of this day.

      Delete
  16. Definitely stay hydrated, so easy to become dehydrated when we're very active, outside and it starts getting hotter. The Doc's Office Call sounds like the call I had to make to the Grandchild's School about the whole Super Senior Thing... nobody knew anything and had to, by committee, figure it out and keep me on Hold forever. Always amazes me how disorganized and what lack of communication goes on at so many places these days, how do they ever get anything done?

    ReplyDelete