Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Knock Knock Knock

As if I don’t have enough on my plate, I walked into the bedroom yesterday afternoon to switch outfits after having run errands and …………… so much on my plate that I’ve been incorrectly referring to Twin 2 as the daughter who is estranged from her adult children.

Twin 2 has no children — she devoted her energies to helping me step in for her twin’s kids when their mom (Twin 1) was in her prodigal experience ……………… not financially and/or emotional there for the kids.

It's Twin 1 whose heart is breaking at not being able to turn back time, make amends for bad parenting choices.

She’s given the moniker Twin 1 because she came out of the womb first, five minutes ahead of her sister, Twin 2.

I’ve made what corrections I could find to recent posts misidentifying which twin is which, but no surprise I misidentified the twins as I’ve been walking around like a zombie last few days with the family’s dramarama clogging my brain (thanks for that word Karen), but as I was saying ……………… I walked into the bedroom yesterday afternoon to switch outfits after having run errands when, through the bedroom window I spied the Talker’s disabled brother sitting on the bench outside, along with two fit looking guys.

Oh! Oh!, thought I. That looks like my Little Stalker’s uncles and if they’re here on the premises, then she is as well.

Sure enough, there was a knock knock knock on the door shortly after.

Little Stalker said she’d not been around because of school, but that she’ll be visiting me again soon with another bear to babysit.

No way José, I said to myself. Another bear would be her manipulating me into creating another book — like the one I made back in 2023 when she dumped a bear on me.

I told her I can’t handle babysitting duties right now that, if she left another bear, I’d have to charge her for babysitting, and I hurried her away with a bag of See’s chocolate eggs.

My last visit to See’s, just before Easter, the clerk had tossed a handful of those eggs in my bag. Knowing eventually Little Stalker would resurface, I’d saved them in the freezer for her.

Little Stalker’s grandma has an upstairs unit; consequently, is one of the few residents who can climb stairs, get to my unit, so she was standing there with Little Stalker when I begged off babysitting another bear.

Hopefully, grandma understood the message and will hold Little Stalker back from burdening me with another.


Earlier that morning, I ran out of a needlepoint floss color and had to make a run to the craft store.

Checking out, the cashier asked, "Would you be interested in signing up for a credit card?"

"No thanks".

"You can save x number of dollars on today’s purchase".

"No thanks".

Then she tried to interest me in a Rewards program and some other something.

"No thanks, No thanks, No thanks".

I know she was only doing what her supervisor asked her to do ………… push these things onto customers, but how many times can one say "No thanks" before going off?

Fortunately, I maintained, was polite and firm with my no's, even though she was making a pest of herself and made me forget to use my coupons.

Since I was in the area of the Tire Place, I popped in to get the tire pressure checked, where the kid on the air station also tried to play me the fool.

I’m sure he’d too had been told to do so by his supervisors …………… If a woman comes in, take advantage of her, turn the free air service into her paying for other services, because he told me I needed to replace the back wiper blade ($20) and have the lug nuts replaced ($80).

Bullcrap, thought I.

I’d just last week taken the car into the dealership for its annual multi-point inspection, and the invoice made no mention of needing a back wiper blade and lug nuts replaced.

So, either the kid at the tire place is fibbing or the dealership is fibbing, or both are lying.

I purchased the Jeep in 2018, have logged in only 15,500 miles. So with so little driving, and definitely not overusing the wiper blades because I don’t drive in the rain, I seriously doubt the blades or lug nuts need changing out; consequently, the tire place is jerking my chain.

On the other hand, because the Jeep came with the last Lifetime Warranty Jeep offered on parts and labor, it is within the realms of possibility the dealership doesn’t want to bother with services for which they will not be able to charge me, so made no mention of either.

Can’t trust anybody anywhere these days, so I googled and learned "Depending on the type of vehicle it is and the age, the lug nuts may need to be replaced anywhere between five and 15 years; As a good rule of thumb, a vehicle's wiper blades will last six to 9 months".

I might pop into the dealership, get the blades changed, but I’m not worried about the lug nuts and wish folks would realize I may be of the elder generation, but that doesn’t mean I’m gullible, and they can run any old game on me.

30 comments:

  1. Everything is a sale to these companies and I loathe it all.
    One "No thanks" should cover all questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't try to run ANY game, new or old, on you, Mama Shirley! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a tire pressure gage. It saves me the time and hassle of those guys hounding me for things I don't need. I check it at home and if I need air. I just go to the gas station air pump and do it myself. it's easy and no hassle. As for the person at the craft store, they also get some commission on what they upsell. We did when I worked in retail. Get 'em to get the charge card and you get XX amount of dollars. You were certainly called into the office when you sold nothing extra. It sucked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel bad for the girl. It does suck to put that kind of pressure on employees, and there should be a law against it. I don't suppose she has a Union to turn to.

      Delete
  4. Anyone can ask for anything. It doesn't mean that you need to respond anything other than 'no'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What annoys me is when they keep asking. One no should suffice.

      Delete
  5. I hate it when clerks push upselling on me as a consumer, although I recognize that it's by their boss's command, not by their own choice. I too refuse everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the first time it's happened to me, and it happened twice in one day. WTF.

      Delete
  6. About the wiper blade, you really don't have to be using it for it to deteriorate. If your car sits outside, under a carport, then the sun can cause it to dry out and break/crack/lose its flexibility. I don't drive a lot, nor in too much rain, but I get the wiper blades replaced on a regular basis because I do want my blades to clear the rain when I am out in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Google lies too. I've never heard of lug nuts needing to be changed. Keep your needed service at the dealer if you've got such a good deal, and make them do what's needed. Just exposure to the sun and rain while your car is sitting can slowly weaken and deteriorate the wiper blades. I'd worry more about the front ones in case you're caught in a storm. NAPA parts store will give seniors a 10% discount with AAA or AARP cards and change the wipers for you at no charge. Or, you could ask Stalker's uncles to help! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never changed lug nuts in any of the cars I've owned, so it's probably not anything I need bother myself with.

      Delete
  8. I so hate those constant upsells and special offers. But not as much as I hate the lying crooks. I understand the poor salespeople are pressured to upsell so I keep my cool. Glad you got the twins figured out. I just texted SG. Four times. Once with a request and three times to correct what I typed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised that lug nuts need changing just because of age. The wiper blades, yes. The rubber gets weird from the sun, heat and other elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about it, and that in all my years I'm just now hearing about lug nuts being replaced, I'm doubting the necessity of ever having to do so. I'll be taking the precaution of having the blades checked sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  10. That child is certainly fascinated with you! I Have had some mind muddling myself lately. At least you did get the twins figured out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind muddling it was. I'm happy to be on the other side of it today.

      Delete
  11. Haha! When I lived in Arizona the wiper blades had to be changed every few months. Not because of over use but because they dried out from lack of rain like everything else! The rubber crumbled! Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speaking of rubber crumbling: if your tires are older and always in the sun, you'll see cracking like crazing on old furniture, on the sidewalls. Even if you drive very few miles a year, and the tires' tread is fine and you haven't hit the max miles on the tires, you'll need to change them. It's happened to me once, even with Michelin tires (the only kind I'll buy,) but was informed by my long-term trusty mechanic. (I'll change husbands before I change my mechanic!) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you're not the only person I've heard say that about changing husbands before changing mechanics.

      Delete
  13. You're welcome for the word, Ms Shirley, and thanks for the honor of being mentioned in a post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I worked at Lane Bryant for a while and we were always pushed to get people to sign up for the store credit card. We were supposed to get at least 5 people to sign up each day or we got yelled at and told to be pushier. So I get it, but I always say no. Last thing I need is yet another credit card to pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five people a day sounds like a lot of pressure. Terrible to put employees through that, not to mention an annoyance for customers.

      Delete
  15. You handled Little Stalker with diplomacy and kindness, Bravo. I think her Grandma should get the hint that her Grandchild may be intrusive, the Child will not understand, but her Elders should know better IMO. As for the pushing of products, well, they all do it now don't they? I always get at least a 2nd opinion before outlaying for anything significant. Here in Arizona Wiper Blades just dry out and need replacing whether you use them or not and usually you don't use them much, it hardly Rains here most of the Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about they all do it now because I've had three calls and a text message from the Dealer offering me deals. I've had to block them. Hopefully, Little Stalker outgrows stuffed bears and me.

      Delete