Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Two Days In

Two days in and so far, so good.

I was mercifully spared from working out New Years Day by an early morning message from Trainer saying he’d opted not to open the studio that day, would see me Wednesday.

YIPEE, thought I.

Not that I don’t enjoy working out — hard and exhausting as it sometimes is, I do enjoy working out, am grateful to be able to do so because, when I feel a slump, I generally feel better after. It’s just that I sometimes resent being locked into the routine of, three days a week, having to get up at a certain time, suit up and head out.

A part of me always yearns to retreat from the world, self-isolate like so many of the seniors around here who are never seen, do not come out, and that routine — for better or worse, won’t let me give into that yearning.

At any rate, the cancellation gave me the impetus to not only get the patio decorations back into storage, but to spend the day better organizing the kitchen counter to give me more space, the kitchen cabinets — so that I can easily see what I’m looking for, rather than engaging in a frustrating hunt, and just better organize things in every room to make the rooms not seem so cluttered with stuff, without throwing out items I was sure I’d later regret tossing out, as I so often do.

Painted Rock Lady must have been sneaking around early morning New Year’s Day because, when I left the unit to head for the liquor store, play my lottery numbers, I found she’d graced my walkway with new creations.


As for the lottery, with the pot of all three games now in the millions, I couldn’t risk not playing, only to later learn I’d missed out, that my numbers had finally come up.

So, I suited up for driving to the liquor store and, on the way, looked over towards the area that is the entryway into the nice neighborhood behind us and saw the recently developing homeless encampment had disappeared.


Not too surprising since, at last Friday’s bingo, the topic of the encampment had come up. Shadow and the Baker both said they’d "called it in".

I don’t know who they called to get those folks removed, didn’t ask, but I’ve got mixed feelings about it.

It wasn’t on or in front of our complex, which made it not our problem, so why call?

The unhoused have to go somewhere and, if not causing problems, live and let live because, as the saying goes, "There but for the grace of God go I".

It was more a problem belonging to the businesses in that area, and the more prosperous living behind us, who use the area as a walking trail — all of whom I’m sure "called it in". No need for anyone here to get uptight and involved.

I myself was impressed with one of the builds.


It was constructed in such a way that allowed for a doorway, and tall enough that the occupant could stand and move around freely inside.

That's a lot of construction materials to be carting around. Wonder how he manages it.

I also wonder where the occupant relocated to.

So anyway, tomorrow marks the beginning of my personal DÉJÀ VU, when the weekly routine of everyday life begins all over again.

Heavy sigh!

21 comments:

  1. I understand the unhoused situation is a problem, but shuffling them off to a different neighborhood or corner or path does not solve the problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the "not in my neighborhood" syndrome, but somewhat understandable.

      Delete
  2. You deserve a day of rest. You'll come back stronger. Those homeless encampments are heartbreaking. Sometimes (well, always) I wish I had magic powers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the number of unhoused has grown to the point where the only recourse is magic powers. I'd zap some of them into fully furnished units at Trump Towers and at the expense of his followers.

      Delete
  3. I read that someone in Michigan won an 800+ million dollar powerball. Just thinking how many homeless people that could help. Life is so unfair some times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus Mary and Joseph! One person winning all that money boggles the mind. Hopefully they do some good with it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh, darn! I was going to hit you up for a million or so.

      Delete
  5. It's good to have a regular routine to keep going out and doing things. Self-isolation is one of the worst things a senior can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but those days when I don't have to go anywhere, don't have to do anything, come in contact with no one, just feel soooo good that that lifestyle is tempting.

      Delete
  6. "There but for the grace of God go I". I'm with you on that line of thought. I don't know why someone wants to kick others when they are down, assuming they aren't hurting anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that. BTW, congrats on your first-place gingerbread build win. The professor's entry reminded me of when I first tried building the gingerbread Starbucks Cafe. It was an unintended disaster.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you--unless the homeless have set up a camp that interferes with my going and coming, I certainly won't be reporting it...and to whom would YOU report it? It's not a criminal act unless it's on private property. I see the remnants of the homeless as I come and go to the school where I read two days a week.

    It is heartbreaking, but I have no solution. Except to elect better people and to give to nonprofits to do more. We have two very large nonprofits in Fresno, lead by very smart young men, one of whom I personally know. They have literally performed miracles to help the homeless and continue to be "beggars for the poor," the self-description of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, we have nothing like "beggars for the poor" around here and should. We do have a big problem with honest hard-working Hispanic street vendors being hassled, and there is an organization that works towards standing up for the vendors, folks showing up in groups to support the vendors and take legal actions against those that walk up and destroy their property to get them out of the area. Those that have are way too cruel to those who are struggling.

      Delete
  8. I feel the same about the unhoused as you do, I've been Homeless, ain't no Fun. And some encampments are quite elaborate. The problem with them being too near businesses is it is bad for Business and keeps patrons scared and away. A great many Homeless are on something and behave unpredictably and leave terrible messes and commit crime, so, I do feel conflicted about where is a place they should and could Be, you know? During COVID the City of Phoenix made a City Square Block for them to Be, then after the Pandemic, tried to disburse The Zone and it became a big problem to have so many to relocate all at once and find somewhere to place them suitably. I don't have the Solution and it saddens me to see Human Beings living worse than we'd let an Animal exist. Humanity and giving any Human Being Dignity preserved is in short supply these days it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might remember that long ago post about when I went to check out classes at a senior center, and decided not for me when I found the center to be located next door to Patton State Hospital for the criminally insane. What the powers that be have now done is ... on the land between the State Hospital and the Senior Center is to set up some kind of housing for the unhoused. Don't know if it's tents or what, but it's a place for them. A weird strange place, but a place. I should one day drive over, check it out for the blog.

      Delete
    2. Well, strange and yet not so strange a placement... since, the Criminally Insane, the Unhoused, and us Seniors are all demographics that Society would rather warehouse somewhere other than integrated among them it seems? What concerns me are the Extremist Groups and how they might revert to Nazi tactics to eliminate any Humans they find are a perceived detriment or threat to their biased mentality of Superiority over other Humans. Those types of folk scare me since they are notoriously inhumane and dangerous and have commit atrocities against Humanity thruout History by Dehumanizing who they Target.

      Delete
  9. Before I got Falcor, I was one of those people that rarely ever went outside. With as many times as this dog wants to go for a walk during the day, I think it's actually helped me a little bit.

    I've never called anyone on the homeless people around here. Most of them keep to themselves and aside from me yelling at a couple of them for doing drugs near my door, I haven't had to many problems with them. The Marshal comes around and makes them move their encampments when they are on the stores property though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time was that when we had a homeless guy camping out across the street in what used to be a vacant lot, people cared. Would offer him food. Now they're calling to get rid of the homeless. People have changed, and not for the better.

      Delete
  10. I'm of mixed opinions on the Unhoused also. We have a lady who camps out regularly near a grocery I sometimes go to. I usually buy her a deli cooked chicken if I see her before going into the store. I dont know if I'm helping or hurting society but what are they, the Unhoused, to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same when I'm giving money ... am I helping are hurting, but if something urges one to help, I believe in doing so. What they do with that money or that chicken, whether they appreciate and use wisely or not, is not up to us.

      Delete