Monday, January 22, 2024

A Frosty Day in the Neighborhood

It rained all night again, but I woke up to frost on the window, which I used as a canvas.


Fortunately, the rain paused just long enough for me to complete my morning ritual and then take video showing changes I spotted along the painted rock path, as I headed out for the Pain Cave.


Driving out of the complex gate, I saw we now have an outside neighbor.


Those that have no sympathy for how difficult it must be to be unhoused, living on the streets, and like to "call it in" are going to have a shit fit because just last week "Federal Judge Terry Hatter Jr. granted a preliminary injunction barring the city of San Bernardino from removing or displacing unhoused residents".

The cops no longer have the right to, in response to complaints, tell them to move along.

I suppose that is unless the build is on private property — which it is not. It’s outside the property line by the bus stop, which is still too close for the residents who are likely to be upset.

This Friday is bingo. If anything is said about our new outside neighbor, I’m going to keep my mouth shut because people around here are remarkably uninformed about what goes on in the world outside the complex, would not believe me if I told them of the judge’s order, and it's just too frustrating to try to have a conversation with clueless individuals.

It still boggles my mind that no one, other than Homegirl, knew of the Alabama Boat Dock/Folding Chair uprising. And not just these old folks. One of Trainer's elite fighters, a girl in her mid 20's, was clueless to that significant event, could have cared less when Trainer and I tried to explain the significance of it.

In her case, I guess it's because she, like the old folks, live in their own world. Her world happened to be limited to martial arts.

So, anyway, the plan for today was to use the newly acquired Thai dried chilies in crockpot chili but, stopping at the market after this morning’s workout, I forgot the main ingredient — ground turkey and, as it's once again raining cats/dogs, I have no intentions of heading out again until Wednesday.

BTW, Catalyst. Not to worry. The label says "all natural, preservative free", so I should be okay, so long as I don’t add too much, make it too spicy, when I get around to making chili.

10 comments:

  1. I wish this country would so more to help the unhoused rather than shooing them off the streets and into dark corners where they won't bother the "regular" people.
    There but for the grace of god go many of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "But for the grace" for real, and I'll just bet some of the more recently unhoused were hard working people who never thought it could happen to them. Best to empathize rather than criticize. Btw, My heart is with you and your family as you pivot through the family situation. Peace and the will of the Infinite Invisible to all involved.

      Delete
  2. It always surprises me too when I encounter people who have no clue and no interest in the world's events beyond their own little lives and concerns. And in our times, that can be dangerous as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they live in a bubble is why so many around here, and elsewhere, have been victimized by various scams.

      Delete
  3. My sister-in-law started at university in South Dakota in 1969. Until then, she had never heard of the Vietnam War. She heard all these other students talking about the war and she had no clue what war they were talking about. All these years later, she reads the news but still has no depth of understanding of anything that's not in her own little world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Color me stunned. I know we didn't have all the sources of media then, that we do now, but to miss an entire war is pretty amazing.

      Delete
  4. I feel bad for the homeless and most of the ones we have around my neighborhood have been pretty nice. I have only had one run in with a guy but I haven't seen him in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only used the one so I'm no one to offer advice. Except, let me offer this advice. BEWARE! No, I'm kidding. I'm sure you'll be careful and be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I like it spicy. Add jalapenos, salsa and homemade pico de galio to everything I eat.

      Delete