Wednesday, January 10, 2024

In For a Penny, In For a Pound

Believe it or not, other than that business of skimming equipment at the corner gas station, and possibly the market, it’s been a quiet uneventful week here at the complex.

With Little Stalker back in San Diego, expected not to return until March, and with Red Light being careful not to aggravate whatever is wrong with her foot by climbing stairs again anytime soon, there’s been no one interrupting my aloneness, no one knocking on my door, other than delivery personnel.

So, it’s been a peaceful week of the Three C’s — cleaning, cooking, crafting.

Other than the C’s, I’ve been destroying property.

Needing a new vacuum to replace my dying Eureka, and seeing Dyson cordless selling for hundreds off, I sprung for one.

It came with the option to recharge with a cord or to wall mount the charger.

I didn’t care for the vacuum leaning against the wall or side of the refrigerator — too expensive to risk a fall, so I drilled rather large holes in the walls, inserted drywall anchors, screws and voilà.


Problem is, I don’t like the placement so far off the floor or with all that empty space between it and the refrigerator. So, the plan is to tear everything out of the wall, drill new holes, reposition, fill in the old holes.

Next inspection, when management sees the Dyson hanging from the wall, and maybe not so invisible filled in holes, MANAGEMENT IS GOING TO KILL ME. Or at least want to.

They’ll probably reissue the notice reminding us residents will be charged $85 per 1x1 sized hole.

What with medal holders in the living room, various artwork hanging in the hallway and decorative rugs on the walls in both the bedroom and living room, I’m already on the hook for a small fortune with 42 holes — four of which are of the $85 variety, drywall anchors and screws it took to hang two Michonne of Walking Dead swords in the bedroom, and now four more anchors and screws for the Dyson tearing up the walls it’s like that saying ………… in for a penny in for a pound.

At any rate, they can’t charge me until I move or die, at which time they’ll bill the family.

Maybe, along with important papers for family upon my demise, I should include an envelope with cash estimating the cost and a note to management — "sorry about the holes".

22 comments:

  1. Haha! Yes, let the b......s figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most apartments I've looked at say that as long as you fill holes there's no penalty. Doesn't surprise me that yours would be different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's interesting about no penalty if holes are filled. I'll have to check to see if that's a housing law they should be following or if it can be at their discretion.

      Delete
  3. I’m interested in hearing what you think of the Dyson. As for the $85 holes, a little fingerful of caulk hides a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm liking that it swivels into places my old Eureka couldn't, and I'm amazed at it's sucking power. It sucks up dirt from deep inside the carpet that I suspect the Eureka had all these years merely glossed over the surface. Cleaning it out is a bit of work because I'm accustomed to a filter doing the work. Other than that, so far so good. BTW, are you still in New York? I'm seeing on the news the storm has flooded streets and the subway.

      Delete
  4. I'd fill them the holes and hope they don't see them on first inspection or at least under estimate how big they were. Where I live we had to pay up front for any damage I might make and anything left over goes to my family. You can bet your butt they will used it all up painting and replacing carpeting...that ever it takes to use up the kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that if the patched-up holes are still visible to the naked eye next inspection, I should grab a cup of coffee and try not to look suspicious drinking coffee as I stand in front of the Dyson attached to the wall and the patch area so they won't notice either. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I bought a cordless Dyson about a dozen years ago. I think you will like yours. Yes, some calk will fill the holes nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's reassuring, as I wasn't sure about the lifespan of a Dyson.

      Delete
    2. I need to replace the battery but other than that it has held up.

      Delete
    3. Oh Oh! Battery? What battery? Guess I'd better read the manual, LOL.

      Delete
  6. White out is good for little holes. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could they bill your family after you die? I wouldn't think that would be legal or that they would be liable. If you were married I could see a husband being on the line for the cost though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death is no escape from these greedy folks just like it's not an escape from the greedy IRS as, last year, after a friend's mom passed away, I learned she'd had to file and pay taxes for her deceased mom.

      Delete
  8. Use White Toothpaste in the Holes and they will never see them, it hardens and can be sanded to look pristine, old tip I learned from a Contractor and it has worked in every Home I've ever had regardless of Drywall or Plaster. If you currently have an exposed Hole, give it a try and let me know what you think? Glad your Three C's of Bliss can be enjoyed without interruption. I'm rather enjoying more Solitude these days and just staying Home. I think the one Positive of the Pandemic was I got quite used to Blissfully Isolating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already used some wall mending stuff to fill in the hole, but I can still see it. A lot of people on here and at bingo suggested toothpaste, one said to mix toothpaste with oatmeal. Interesting. At any rate, I'll try putting toothpaste over the wall mending stuff, see how it looks when sanded down.

      Delete
  9. You "celebrated" your special Birthday a few days ago. Congratulations you are in such wonderful mental and physical shape for your age and have such a fantastic sense of how to live your life happily. A great sense of humor too! 'I will be 79 next week, just get a kick out of my DOB- 01/23/45! Wishing you well, JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I don't know about "celebrated" as I kept it on the downlow, was just another day for me, though I did get messages from family. One more year and you too will join the ranks of Octogenarian.

      Delete