Sunday, November 19, 2023

What is Wrong with People???

Along with everything else going around, there appears to be an epidemic of rude behavior.

Pulling into the gas station yesterday, assessing there was no need to mask up, as I could see through the window only two customers roaming around inside, none at the counter, I entered maskless, stood at the counter, waited while the attendant set up pizza in the microwave.

He approached the counter, asked how he could help me but, before I could say $30 on No. 6, he began coughing.

Though he put his head down, did not cough towards my face, I nevertheless began taking steps backwards, away from him.

Whereupon, after done coughing, he took both hands and laughingly, with a backhand sweeping motion, began waving his germs towards me.

What is wrong with people!!!???

Needless to say, I was not amused.

I turned around, walked out but, if he thought he’d so offended me that I was leaving, he thought wrong.

I went to the car, dawned my mask, walked back in, requested $30 on No 6 to his now somber looking face.

He couldn’t see me laughing behind the mask at his discomfort at seeing me so pointedly exiting, returning all masked up, but maybe he could read the amusement in my eyes.

She who laughs last laughs best.

I feel for the customer that ordered that pizza.

Gas station pizza is precarious eating at best and totally dangerous eating when handled by a guy who’s not wearing gloves, switches to the cash register where he handles coins and dollar bills, thinks it’s funny to wave his germs at a customer and then returns to removing the pizza from the microwave.

Because Friday is the Day After Thanksgiving, the Office closed, the Community Room unavailable to us seniors, this week’s Bingo Friday has been moved to tomorrow ……… Monday.

Monday and bingo on the same day!!!! All I need to make the start of the week extra challenging is rain.

As Trainer is taking no days off for the Thanksgiving Holiday and my workout days (M W F) don’t fall on the actual holiday, after I get through tomorrow, the remainder of the week is a regular week for me …… except for a trip out of the area for the latest covid booster.

Don’t yell at me, but I’m late getting this shot because I wasn’t planning on getting vaccinated again because of problems I’ve had with skin rashes ever since I began with the vaccinations. However, wanting to get a look at the new baby next month, I’m taking the precaution.

Besides, with no help from the medical professionals, through trial/error I’ve discovered the cure for what had been plaguing me was organic castor oil and a homemade rice filled heating pad.

So, I'm not too worried about a reoccurrence, now that it's under control and can be handled so easily if necessary.

So anyway, looking at the news of holiday travel already in progress, I’m beyond happy not to be preparing for and facing that nerve racking drive to Long Beach this week.

I’ll be facing all that soon enough — next month, around Christmas.

30 comments:

  1. The dude at the gas station was an idiot...and an asshole. No wonder he's working there. You did indeed have the last laugh. Pity the soul that orders pizza there. Yuk. Too bad you couldn't have come in in a hazmat suit! LOL!
    Rudeness seems to be epidemic these days.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hazmat suit would have showed him up right and proper 😷

      Delete
  2. I usually tell rude folks, "Do you know that the covid virus stays in the air for 3 hours?" Of course, he's probably going to catch it from customers, after he gives it to customers. Yep, wear that mask baby! You never know which person refused vaxes, as it's sometimes the nice-looking ones. Takes 2 weeks for your vax to defend you, so keep protecting your babies. The house that was hosting my Thanksgiving now has covid, so my kids are hosting it. Can we vax the turkey? (It doesn't need a mask, right, with no head?) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be well over the two weeks needed for protection before my next trip and I'm not wishing bad on that stupid guy, but would serve him right if someone came in, coughed, waved it at him. Not so funny then.

      Delete
  3. I would have gone to a different gas station after that coughing asshat and then found out who the owner was and written a letter; COVID or not that behavior is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The station is owned and operated by a group of Sikhs. I've always heard good things about that religion, but I guess there's always a few idiots in everything. I would not have given him the satisfaction of going elsewhere. He needed to be taught that lesson.

      Delete
  4. "What is wrong with people!!!???"
    I'll bet he voted for tRUMP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now that's a thought, but now I'm wondering if Sikh Americans vote.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Bob. Coughing like that even before there was covid is just plain rude behavior. There has always been sickness and cold flu's since like forever...over your damn mouth.

    It is very rare, here, to even see a mask anymore. Seems so long ago to be wearing them. I was one of the last to stop wearing mine. But still always have one handy just in case, or for traveling abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely rude and something the Staples sang about long before covid in Respect Yourself ... "Put your hand on your mouth when you cough, that'll help the solution".

      Delete
  6. To eat ANYTHING cooked/baked at a gas station, 7-11 or other convenience store is to take your life in your hands, as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I always think they must have stomachs made of steel when I see them purchase hot dogs, chicken wings, etc.

      Delete
  7. Hey, thanks for the shout-out for my blog. I forgot to say thanks when I commented on your post. Very kind of you to reference my writing.

    As for this post, you make me laugh--what's wrong with people? How much time you got? And which people should we start with? You are a brave soul to go INTO a gas station store and pay for your gas. I use my credit card and also use a wet wipe to push the buttons to select the gas and then put the gas nozzle in my car. It's all germy. And that's without entering a building with people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was only giving credit where credit was due. I always use wipes when I touch the door to enter and at the pump, but it's dangerous to use cards around here as crooks set up gadgets to read cards. We're warned to check for gadgets first, but I don't know what to look for, so I play it safe and pay cash.

      Delete
    2. We have had some skimmers around here, especially close to freeways and the roads leading to them. Those are also the roads used by the store robbers who run in, grab as much merchandise as possible, and hightail it out of town on one of the freeways. Most of them are heading to Southern California or the Bay Area.

      Delete
    3. It's so prevalent around here, and not just at the gas station ... restaurants, at the mall, vendors at events that it's not worth the risk. I just pay cash, but have run into places that, believe it or not, won't take cash.

      Delete
  8. I was all set with answers to the question “What’s wrong with people?” But who has that much time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'm wondering if gas station "kitchens" get the same visits from health inspectors as restaurants/ fast food? If so, so many violations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I don't think I've ever seen one of those rating signs in the window that indicate they've been inspected. On another note, I don't think we've seen the last of Kaitlin Armstrong. She's not willing to accept the consequences of her actions. Like you, I saw her try to run while handcuffed, going nowhere fast, and is sure to try a prison break(s) in the future.

      Delete
  10. your header is rhetorical. That coughing dufus is a twit. How can people be so clueless after a pandemic. I can't imagine any food from a gas station is all that good but adding his germs didn't make it any better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that guy is a menace. I don't see how people think things like that are funny at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He was probably thinking, "She went to get her gun and she's coming back!! Oh, no!"

    Or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLMAO!! But now that I think about it ... that may explain the somber Oh! Oh! I messed up look he had on his face when I returned.

      Delete
  13. Such a timely post! Also detest having my utensils handled with fingers on the part that goes in my mouth, or fingers in my cup or glass. before being filled, I do speak up nicely and ask for a new container, should be part of their training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that happen back in the day when I could eat chinese takeout. The guy taking the order was mindlessly tapping on the inside edge of the container as I was deciding. I recall he looked icky to me in the first place, not someone you'd want handling food ... and he was sniffling. Not as assertive then as now, but grossed out, instead of asking for a new container, I paid, exited, toss it all into the trash can on the way out, went elsewhere.

      Delete
    2. Don't feel bad, I am 81 yrs. old! It took me many years to speak up. Lol!

      Delete