Friday, November 10, 2023

And We’re Back

After a week’s absence from Bingo Friday, because Red Light was travelling, this afternoon it was back to Bingo Friday.

I myself wouldn’t mind if bingo ended altogether, for no reason other than I’m more and more not wanting to go anywhere, do anything, just stay in my unit, enjoy my aloneness; but Bingo Friday is important to the Usual Suspects, because it’s all they have, other than the occasional bone tossed to them by Management and Activity Director.

As for me, unlike most of the Usual Suspects, I’ve got a kazillion other things I can and would rather be doing, and it’s no one’s fault but my own that I can’t just not go because I signed on as an integral part …… design and print the flyers, take photos, manage the residents’ website.

Not seeing a way to unsign, I’ll have to grin and bear it unless and until bingo ends.

The sessions are a good way to catch up on what’s going on, but my head is already so filled with things I don’t want to see, don’t want to hear, don’t want to know, that I’d really rather not see, hear or know anything further.

Consequently, just walking from my unit to the Community Room for this afternoon’s bingo felt like I was walking the Green Mile with the weight of the world on my shoulders.

I’m not kidding.

The closer I got to the room, the heavier I felt and, when I made it inside, I plopped down on the chair and let out a heavy sigh.

"You’re tired already?" commented my tablemate Buttons.

"I got tired on the way here", said I.

I wasn’t tired at this morning’s workout. I only got tired when I headed for someplace I didn’t want to be.

So, anyway, the topic this afternoon was what was going to happen to the curly haired kid whose grandpa just past away.

"They’re not going to let him stay here" someone said.

"He’s going to live with his grandma" said another.

That’s good to know that his grandma is still alive. Hopefully she stays alive long enough for him to find his way in the world — learn a trade, get a job, etc.

I also learned the battling OG’s have been evicted .

The OG’s being the couple — him 66, her 74, married for 37+ years, that moved out just before the Pandemic hit and we went into Quarantine; returned a year or so later saying they’d been through hell, insofar as living arrangements since moving out.

Their back story, if you wish to know why I refer to them as the "battling" OG’s, can be found here.

Very much liked individually and as a couple, they were welcomed back by management and residents with open arms. However, inasmuch as they did not move out of their own accord this time, were instead evicted, they won’t be allowed back. An eviction on one's record is like the kiss of death, not only here but when trying to get a place to live elsewhere. So, this is unfortunate.

Reason for the eviction being the husband got into gambling. Gambled the rent money away.

Speaking of rent, I got a little clarification on the $500 increase.

First off, it’s exactly $518 and raises the cost of units occupied by those on the county roll closer to the same the rest of us are paying.

I had no idea those units were previously going for close to half of what those of us not on the county roll are paying.

The questions hanging in the air are whether or not the county will approve the increase and what will happen if they do not approve it.

On another note, I had an ephinay about the Silver Fox, aka 😵👀👅📣. I think he and Next-Door Neighbor would be attracted to each other. Both have a boogie vibe about them and I have a sense that, should they see each other on the walkway or in the parking area, it would be on.

12 comments:

  1. I hate that feeling you describe of not wanting to do or go through with something. And anymore, I don't. I just say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well well well, look what the cat drug in. You've been gone a minute. I'll have to check your blog to see how the trip went.

      Delete
  2. We have once a month bingo and people go because it pays out cash prizes of $10 to $20. One person won three times this month and was one happy camper. In one hour of playing the give out $250. Of course we have to pay $5 to play so most of us loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they played for money instead of prizes, it would be standing room only with residents fighting to get in. Management will not let us play for money. Something about insurance and getting bonded.

      Delete
  3. You could put those old-fashioned dating ads in your flyer. Help those folks out! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, know that Big Sigh Feeling of being somewhere you'd rather not be. There must be a way for you to gracefully bow out? Perhaps start sharing the duties and the slowly step back???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently no viable candidate I can dump the duties on, but new tenants will be occupying the vacancy in my unit, the dead gentleman's unit and the OG's now vacant unit. So, there's always hope for a viable newbie.

      Delete
  5. I think if the county doesn't agree to pay the increase they should lower your rent to what the county pays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the way you think; I'm voting for you for president.

      Delete
  6. I hate that feeling of not wanting to be somewhere but being obligated to being there.

    ReplyDelete