Friday, November 24, 2023

Black Friday at Walmart

Not as bad as you might think.

While a turkey leg was slow cooking in the crockpot yesterday — Thanksgiving/Stolen Land Day, I spent the day pulling Christmas decorations out of storage.

Testing the mini lights, seeing they were in perfect working order, I attached them to the patio rails, tested again and saw a great number of bulbs in one of two strings had suddenly blown out.

Nothing a quick trip to the local Walmart couldn’t resolve but, after googling closures, I learned Walmart was closed.

Having waited as long as I have, now anxious to get decorations up, I was willing, after this morning’s workout, to brave the day after crowd — Black Friday at Walmart.

In between then and now, I feasted on the usual turkey and dressing, only my dressing was a tried tested addictive gluten free, not made with bread but with tortilla chips recipe; and instead of cranberry sauce, it was homemade pico de Gallo, that I put on everything.

Towards the end of that day, granddaughter sent me a photo of what family showed up at her place.

As expected, it was my deceased sister’s boring husband and not one, but two of her brothers.

Nice photo, but Whew! dodged a bullet in not having to play nice with relatives I’m not all that fond of.

"Be well but be gone" as my blog friend Dawn the Bohemian would say.

At any rate, it was a surprisingly quick in and out at Walmart this afternoon.

The log jam appeared to be outside, at the Curbside Pickup side of the building.

That back lot was completely full, with cars 40+ deep on the roadway, all the way back to the end of the block, waiting to get in.

Unfortunately, I had two packages of a gluten free bagel product to pick up.

I’d recently discovered the bagels at the market, found no ingredients that would set off a gut episode, tried them, liked them, and then couldn’t find them back in stock at the market.

Having since discovered they’re sold at Walmart, knowing I’d be making a run today, I’d ordered them last night; but seeing the curbside pickup line was hours long, it was never mind, I’ll go inside for the patio lights, pick up the curbside order tomorrow.

Once inside, it was quick shopping and I was on my way out when I thought to check to see if I could pick up curbside inside, avoid that long line of cars and a return trip.

Approaching a woman I’ve seen working there for years, she said she didn’t know, but head to the back of the store and see if they’ll accommodate me.

They did.

A ton of sodium and carbs, but worth it.

At any rate, it appears the curse of this terrible week has come to an end, I’m batting a thousand because not only is DMV and the Covin Shot behind me, Walmart was easy peasy today, including pickup, Christmas decorations are now up to be enjoyed, complete with Skelly Claus.




AND ... I received an email from the medical provider's office saying, "You will be receiving a check for $139.99".

That’s right folks. Here I was gearing up for a fight and they folded in the first round.

24 comments:

  1. canyon bakehouse has an everything bagel to die for. I can only eat GF so I have tried them all. Go to their website - there are coupons there. Right now I think it's $1 off and buy 2 save $1.50. I just complained to them about the squished and small size of my bread. They sent me two free loaves coupon. Van't beat that. www.canyonbakehouse.com The coupons change so you need to check back. You can also order online from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I can order online from them. Two free coupons? That's good customer service.

      Delete
  2. I'd heard that Mrs Claus put Santa on a diet, but wow! Pretty extreme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat and beard I received a couple years ago from the Santa 5K came in handy.

      Delete
  3. Love that doormat! Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skelly Claus needs cookies! Cute! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of cookies do skeletons eat? Maybe Ladyfingers LOL.

      Delete
  5. Love Skelly Santa! And all of your decorations! Glad your luck has turned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if this is the very first Skelly Claus.

      Delete
  6. I love the wreath and doormat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Since I only decorate for Halloween and Christmas, I go full out.

      Delete
  7. Admit it, you had all of us send "moon in manure" energy vibes to Kaiser and they buckled - although from your story, it didn't sound as though the ATeam was working at the pharmacy the day you went.

    Be well

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the vibes had something to do with their throwing in the towel at first glance. As for the not ATeam, probably because I didn't see an older wiser amongst the youngish looking crew.

      Delete
  8. You'll be happy to know I did used to teach my 1st graders the truer version of Thanksgiving. Congratulations on having an easier successful trip to Walmart. I did not venture out on Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well good on you for having the courage to educate rather than deceive your students. Except for the long pick-up line, I imagine Black Friday wasn't too terrible awful anywhere, as so many are ordering online rather than in-store now days.

      Delete
  9. No crowd - that is interesting. I think shopping is changing once again. We'll see if online ordering vs Black Friday shopping will win the day profit wise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is awesome news that they are reimbursing you that money. I have been putting Christmas stuff up but it's going to be a few days to get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have that bit of nonsense behind me. I've not put up any indoor decorations yet, because with crafts everywhere there isn't any room. But I'll find space for a stocking and some bits.

      Delete
  11. What a great time you're having. Keep fighting. The b-------s will give in. (Not sure I spelled that right.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they have the nerve to be calling me asking if I'll participate in a hypertension study. "NO!!!!" I can't get in to see a doctor, they refused to authorize that shot, and they want my time and energy to participate in a study for them? The nerve!!!

      Delete