Thursday, May 18, 2023

Curiouser and Curiouser! cried Alice

But for the fact this is an income restricted government assisted senior complex, I’d swear the place was up for sale.

I can think of no other reason why, all of a sudden, the paving project, and now management giving notice that maintenance will be painting the patio railings.

The patio railings don’t need painting. They’re black, not rusted.

What I myself need is for maintenance to repair my leaky kitchen faucet which, btw, Head Maintenance Guy supposedly already fixed.

The faucet probably needs a new washer, but I experienced the results of HMG’s washer replacement jobs when he repaired the bathroom sink three different times thus far, rendering it pretty much inoperable the normal way of pulling the knob up to open/push down to close. I now open the sink drain by sticking a knife to lift the stopper.

I don't trust him to fiddle further with it, so I’ll wait for the opportune moment to talk to someone directly, ask for a real maintenance person to come in and repair properly.

What I need is not pressing, so I can wait for the moment to strike. However, what other residents need is more pressing.

One resident told me there’s some kind of leak in her refrigerator causing mold to appear. I wasn’t clear as to whether the mole is happening inside the refrigerator or on the floor surrounding the appliance.

Another said she put in a workorder on the 19th of last month, that the handle on — she either told me refrigerator or oven, I don’t recall which, but whichever it is, the handle on the door has fallen off.

Another said she put in a request for maintenance to take a look at her countertop — it’s cracking and peeling.

Bottom line is there are far more important things for maintenance to take care of than repainting the railings.

Thinking a sale of the property might be the point of all the outside sprucing up, I researched the complex but found nothing online indicating a sale being imminent.

The only other option is a big assed rent increase coming.

I recently learned, from someone in the know, that the property has "investors".

How does a senior complex have investors?

Does that mean Corporate is a conglomerate of investors?

If so, sounds like easy money to me and I’d like to get in on it. I wanna invest.

Curiouser and Curiouser is that management closed the office yesterday and had some sort of closed door meetings.

Inasmuch as there was a slew of fancy cars parked out front of the office, I’m assuming the meeting was with Corporate types.

Curiouser and curiouser indeed.

On another note, the wildflowers Activity Director helped me start seem to be thriving out on the patio. However, the vegetables I started — Radish, Hot Pepper, Tomato, look to be in trouble.


I know some of you have a natural talent for growing plants — for sure I know Jennifer over at Burning Moonlight and Mitchell’s San Geraldo are amongst those gifted with green thumbs, so will one of you tell me please …… what am I doing wrong?

Too much water, too little water, the heat of the sun?

19 comments:

  1. God forbid there is a panel of investors. They can be a pain. They will put very little in and ask for big money. Hence the "maintenance" repair of the railings. When they do these little cosmetic things, it saves them money ...it makes them look like their doing upkeep and care for the place and keeps people quiet. I have no knowledge of vegetables plants...but my herb garden pots are doing wonderful, as seems the whole garden, I can't keep up this spring. The Iris's should be the next to bloom along with the peonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your take on the panel of investors being a pain, sounds about right, so I'll be expecting management will throw us another party, probably a luau like last time, followed by a big increase in rent.

      Delete
  2. Your suspicions may be accurate. Many apartments here have a section for low income apartments, where the tenet pays some and the Feds pay the rest to the owner. About 5 years ago, many were reverting those low income units back to non-government units, as they could make more money, and more promptly. Looking pretty on the outside is part of the selling game. Some rentals must be kept up to "code" on the outside:
    full screens on windows, neat appearance from each window.... Check your fine print in your rent agreement. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever they are up to, we'll know soon enough.

      Delete
  3. Here's my guess on your plants. You probably could have used many fewer seeds because I think they're too crowded for the small pots. But if any of those plants are lettuce you can pluck the bigger leaves and have a tiny salad now. That will encourage more growth. And maybe pull out a few of the smaller sprouts so there's more room for the bigger plants. But generally everything looks pretty healthy for being in small pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. I'll try that pulling out the smaller sprouts.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like Property Managers are putting Lipstick on a Pig since the Exterior is visible but Interior Issues are for Residents to Deal with and nobody really can see or know without an Invitation from said Resident and being a whistleblower. I think thinning out your Garden would help, you can eat the Microgreens BTW so no waste and they're good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you told me about "microgreens" because I was just gonna pull them out and toss to make room per Pam's suggestion. Google says to cut the stem just above the soil line and add to salads, soups. So one could say my first attempt at gardening has been a success of sort. Producing something I can eat.

      Delete
    2. Microgreens are good on Sammies too... and in Health Food Stores they Sell them, but growing your own is so easy and a quick Harvest.

      Delete
  5. Ugh. Investors. Corporate. Sounds suspicious. Re the plants, I’m the one with the success record at our place in recent years. But I’m not a veggie grower. Pam Jo’s comment sure makes sense. I’ve heard that is often a problem. Jennifer has been the veggie garden goddess in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corporate is beginning to seem more and more like undercover slumlords. Hopefully, things don't get to be too too awful around here, because there's really no place better for us limited income folks to move to.

      Delete
  6. I live near Chicago in a unit like yours. It is owned by corporate investors who invest because it gives them a tax break. The investors are proudly listed on signage in the building. The city you live in will have the investor details. It is public knowledge. We are in a new building and according to the agreement with the village they are not allowed to change to for profit for many (20, I think) years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No signage here and, though I've tried to research who and what exactly Corporate is apprised of, it's well hidden. May be one of those things I have to go down to the Building Department to find out, but I'll keep looking. The Corporation that owns us now bought out the previous group that managed the building some 10 years ago, so maybe they are not yet qualified to change to for profit. Time will tell.

      Delete
  7. Federally funded low income housing does run out after so many years, usually 30. Sort of like a mortgage. Then the investors can do with the property whatever they wish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, unsettling observations at your complex. I wonder if there is some oversight committee that regularly inspects?
    My track record with growing plants is not good. I have no advice, and you shouldn't take it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be. Was a time when the county inspectors kept a close eye on things around here but now, with so many needing housing on the county roll, it appears there's been some canoodling, favors for favors. There's been no county inspection since the pandemic. No one cares any longer. It's like "If you don't like it then move" because everyone involved knows this place is the best deal in town insofar as affordability.

      Delete
  9. Unbeknown to those of us who live in my senior complex the management merged with a similar kind of complex in another state. We were independent and locally controlled and now there are eight places in four states all under the same management. It's very scary because know one knows how it will effect us in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking and feeling more like we're pawns in smart investors finding ways to get out of paying taxes, while ensuring income coming in with little outflow. The scary part is knowing something is coming, but not knowing what. Hopefully it's just another rent increase.

      Delete