Monday, May 22, 2023

And Just Like That

It’s Monday again.


Except for a delivery that went wrong, I pretty much was able to lock myself away — not have to go anywhere, not have to do anything outside.

For some unknown reason, UPS failed to deliver a tank top and head buff I’d ordered to be shipped to my home address. Instead, UPS dropped it off at a drop off point for me to pick up.

When UPS can’t get through the gate, for one reason or another, the alternative drop off point is on the corner, within walking distance, a few doors down from the market, but I guess that would have been too easy.

UPS chose to drop the package off at the CVS Pharmacy three miles up the road.

I didn’t even know that pharmacy was a drop off point, but okay, not a biggie to pick it up.

I could have walked the three miles, and should have, but I’m still leery of walking those three miles ever since that guy with a knife scared me off the route, so I drove. Which was probably best because I was feeling loopy and dizzy again. It was like I was sleepwalking as I kept stumbling, tripping over my own two feet when crossing the pharmacy parking lot.

Last time I gave this pharmacy any mind was shortly after the unaliving of George Floyd in 2020. People were angry hurt disgusted venting and the low life's took advantage of that time of upheaval to pillage shops and stores in the area, including this pharmacy.

While out walking a few days after the pillaging, I’d spotted some of the aftermath of two nights of looting. As a precaution to possibly another night of looting, the pharmacy’s front glass entrance had been boarded up, the side entrance glass doors were also boarded, with only a narrow opening to enter/exit.

Before

Before

But for the group of unhoused guys I saw who's set up camp behind the pharmacy, it looks like everything is back to normal, and probably has been for a long while without my noticing as I drove by multiple times since 2020, except there was something weird about the signage .......... I don’t recall ever seeing the "yMas" before, which I read as Christmas without the x.

After

However, looking at the old photos, I see "yMas" was branded even before the looting. Research indicates it means "and More" in Spanish — "The stores are designed to cater to Hispanic clientele offering an extended product selection, and bilingual staff".

Big Woop thought I, inasmuch as this is California and I didn't see the need to specify, but the signage has given me another Spanish word to add to my repertoire.

After that short foray into the outside world, the remainder of the weekend was indoors.

I came thisclose to getting caught up on the great grandbaby's scrapbook, with only the photos of his first swimming lesson and his 1st Birthday Party to be added which, after those photos are added, is a good place to set aside scrapbooking for a while so I don't end up with a bazillion books great grandbaby may or may not value later in life.

Besides scrapbooking is looking to get a lot more overwhelming, inasmuch as granddaughter and hubby planned for another baby to be born close in age to the baby, initiated that plan and are now expecting a little girl.

Just what we need — more kids in this dysfunctional family.

Moving forward, my plan is to, rather than trying to keep up with every photo, producing multiple books during the year, collect photos and, at the end of the year, put together a book for that time period.

That should significantly reduce the number of memory books, as I turn my attention to stitching up a quilt to welcome a great granddaughter to the menagerie.

After squeezing in a few hours over the weekend, to work on that needlepoint project, I began gleaning the patio plant that looked to be in trouble, as Pam and other commenters suggested, AND whatdoyaknow …………


Color me stupid but, even though radish purchased from the supermarket have long stems and leaves on them, I did not know they grew in the ground. I was waiting to see fruitage from the plant to appear up top, hanging from the vine — same thing I’m expecting to see with the other two plants (tomato and hot pepper).

Live and learn.

So, anyway, now that I know there are radishes growing in the pot, my next question is ……………… when do I harvest them?

8 comments:

  1. We have these y mas CVS stores in Fresno. I never thought anything of it as we have a large Latino population here. Many businesses have their name en Espanol. Que bueno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bueno, tal vez. And that is pretty much the extent of my high school spanish, LOL

      Delete
  2. That signage sounds like a corporate way for CVS to seem friendly and get more customers money. Your adventure in gardening is charming. It appears as the little radish seeds started sprouting, they weren't thinned out, so now you have too many too close together, so they can't grow little globes of radishes: you have a lot of thin spindly ones. Yes, radishes grow in the ground, like carrots and onions do. You can harvest when you see the tops of the globes getting big, which appears to be the case with maybe one in your video. The other spindly ones would probably taste ok, but can't get bigger because they were crowded. Yes, the tomatoes and green peppers should appear on the green leaves within those plants. Sometimes gardening is like raising children....Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to feel just like you said ... that plants are like raising children.

      Delete
  3. Well, I suppose if it please the neighbors “y más” is OK. But I do wonder what the Latino community thinks of that addition. It’s hard to believe that George Floyd was killed 3 years ago already... and it's also hard to believe it’s ONLY been 3 years. So many other hells have erupted. And now on a lighter night, congratulations on the upcoming second great-grandbaby. I hope the dysfunction eases and these kids grow up in a happier family. As for your revelation about radishes. You are definitely a city girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most def a city girl, and this planting adventure is teaching me a bit.

      Delete
  4. Well, your Granddaughter and Hubby make Beautiful Babies, so having a Boy and a Girl is a perfect little Family. If you keep feeling loopy, please get that checked out as it could be mini strokes, the Man had those and didn't even realize it. They can be avoided with a med regimen and to avoid a big one. Yes, Y Mas means And More in Spanish. I'm not fluent, but I can read more Spanish than I can speak, The Daughter is fluent and talks as if it's her original language, sometimes remembering what something is in English is harder for her now that she's been mostly speaking Spanish for over 17 Years. It is hard to Believe George Floyd was murdered 3 Years ago already, nothing has changed, I sure wish progress would be made in the right direction about Police Violence against who they are supposed to be protecting and serving. I don't Trust the Police anymore and think they have too many who never were Vetted right and aren't fit to carry a Badge or a Gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about nothing having changed. Looking at cop/citizens encounters on TikTok, I have to say things are far worse than before.

      Delete