Friday, September 2, 2022

All Fun and Games Until Somebody Chokes

Bingo was preempted by a surprise birthday party for the Baker today.

Red Light, the organizer of the event, went all out.

Potato Salad

Ribs

Corn on the Cob

Pièce de résistance

Of course, my sensitive gut demanded I decline but it was not only my gut issues stopping me from eating anything.

It was just yesterday when Red Light texted me to come down to her unit, sign the Baker’s birthday card.

That was the first time I’ve been in her unit and it didn't feel right. Sorta anti-feng shui.

She’s got that nice patio window to open out to the world, let the sunshine in, but the curtains on the patio window were drawn and inside was like a dungeon — dark, gloomy, cramped.

The dark brown couch and matching big chair, which were too large, took up too much space. The color did not serve to brighten up the place. Nor did whatever was causing the kitchen and kitchen table area to look small and cramped.

Hers is a one-bedroom, same as mine and we all have the same space to work with. So, the idea of Red Light sitting in that dark depressing atmosphere all day, no space to move around … if I could have eaten what she’d prepared in that kitchen of hers, I could not, would not.

Would you believe that, in the midst of the seniors enjoying their meal — me with a kale salad, cherry tomatoes and walnuts, there was a loud bang.

One of the seniors was lying flat on her back on the floor.

Pandemonium broke out as we tried to grasp what had happened.

"Did she just fall and hit her head?" someone asked.

"Don’t touch her!" someone else yelled.

"I’ll go get management" was another voice.

"Should I call 911?" asked another.

The woman on the floor, in response to "Are you hurt?" began touching her chest.

Assistant Maintenance Guy rushed in, took one look and said, "I can’t touch her".

By then, the woman on the floor had somewhat caught her breath and asked to be lifted from the floor.

AMG repeated, "I can’t touch her", so two ladies managed to get her off her back into a seated position. The woman who’d fallen then grabbed onto the edge of the table and, with the help of the two ladies, got herself off the floor back into her chair.

When someone again asked, "Should I call 911?", she replied "No, I’ll be okay".

The problem she said was food got stuck in her throat and, first thing she knew, she was on the floor.

When she said food had gotten caught in her throat, I thought Ah Ha!, food from that dark gloomy kitchen, but who knows.

The new manager (No. 10) showed up, as did Head Maintenance Guy.

I couldn't hear was No. 10 was saying to her, but she did give her a piece of a paper and a pen, had her write down what happened, had two other residents sign as having witnessed seeing her on the floor.

I'm assuming management was protecting itself from a lawsuit — it wasn't a slip and fall.

At any rate, I looked over shortly after all was said and done — the fallen resident looked fine, fully recovered, had gone back to eating, went onto participate in the party games.

Other than the choking incident, the event was a success.

Unlike her drab unit, Red Light had decorated the room beautifully.





Sitting in my usual spot, regular table, what did I find but boots.


How kismet was that.

The Baker was thoroughly surprised, cried several times, even though she arrived before most of the residents, because there was a miscommunication as to when to arrive.

I’d planned to be there well before she, in order to capture her look of surprise. However, due to the miscommunication, I missed her initial surprised reaction. So, what I did was to later have her go out, come back in, do a reenactment, LOL.


Terrific acting job.

At the end of the event, as we were preparing to clean up and head out, I saw a half-naked woman enter the pool area.

It’s your lucky day Mike …. Black Bikini is back. She’s wearing a different skimpy outfit, but it’s definitely your girl.

No one in the room claimed to know her, but she absolutely must be a new resident, not a visitor.

Last time I spotted her, she was cleaning the pool's filter. This time she grabbed pool equipment and began cleaning the jacuzzi, then the pool.


20 comments:

  1. What an exciting party! Too bad Red Light can't bring some of that 'cheerfulness' into her own home. Honestly, I cannot eat where people bring the food....like a 'covered dish' dinner. I do not have any food allergies. More like phobias about people's kitchens and hygiene techniques. LOL! I also prefer restaurants that have an open kitchen God only knows what goes on in restraint kitchens. I've heard plenty of stories! YIkes! Bikini Girl sure likes to work on the pool. I'm surprised management allows this d/t getting hurt and potential lawsuits. Thanks for the update on that exciting party.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised management allows it as well. Maybe they are too mesmerized by her youthful body to stop the show.

      Delete
  2. Hope lady who fell doesn't have a brain bleed. Might want to check in with her as they are sneaky. So much corporate garbage and protection to 'not touch her." They are useless. Plan on calling 911 the next time. Did you get to take the boots centerpiece home? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally useless in every sense of the word. I could have taken it home had I asked, but I'm working on having fewer knickknacks that don't serve a purpose, other than sit and look pretty, hanging around.

      Delete
  3. Red Light lady did a lovely job on the cake and decorating - perhaps she's at a loss when home alone and comes alive only when doing things for others. Hope the lady that fell is ok. Those boots were definitely cute! Viv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or comes alive when out, away from that dark dungeon.

      Delete
  4. What drama. Appalling response by management — cover your ass. Speaking of which, I’m surprised Bikini Lady is permitted to do that work... and that no one knows who she is. Maybe she’s the new Activities Director.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice surprise for The Baker! The decorations are lovely and that sunshine-y cake is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cupcake cake. Cupcakes were split between attendees with ice cream so the Baker could take the center portion home and enjoy with her hubby.

      Delete
  6. Great Acting Job indeed, she looks like she just walked in for the first time and what a sweet thing to do for her Special Day! The Boots Centerpiece was nice Kismet, and the episode of someone choking thankfully had a happy ending and not a tragic one, whew! As for Red Light's dreary Home, here in Arizona, due to the Heat, I have known far too many people who keep their Homes like a Dungeon and I find it to be depressing, don't know how they can live like that either? Small Spaces need Finesse and restraint when Decorating, I don't know I'd be good at it, so I can't really critique someone having Too Much since, well, you know... you read my Blog... ha ha ha. Having Downsized a few times, sometimes it's hard to get rid of beloved furnishings you want to keep and no longer are the right dimensions for a smaller space, perhaps that's what happened with her? I'm assuming most Seniors there may have downsized their Living Arrangements over time and now are at the smaller size most appropriate to ride into the Sunset? If we ever build that Bunkhouse I'll likely want to move into it and leave the Main House for the Younger Generations to occupy. BTW: New Post is up with that Arted Up Retro Table that you wanted to see of The Young Prince's Art, he cleared it and Photographed it just for you my Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even want to think what would have happened if that choking inside had a bad ending, not just to the fallen woman but to Red Light's reputation as a cook. Now heading over to see that art work.

      Delete
  7. You got a good video. lol
    That was a nice thing to do for Baker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surprise party was Red Light's idea. I'm glad she's so involved in the community, keeping up with and doing things like this for others ... but I still don't trust her with knowing my business. Not even my date of birth :-)

      Delete
  8. She's not as young as I thought she was. She also needs to start doing some squats to pump up that booty a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's, at a minimum 55, probably older. And looks pretty good in a 2 piece for an old gal.

      Delete
  9. The food looked so delicious to me. What a kind thing for RL to do. Too bad you saw the kitchen prep area but I know you have to be super careful about what you eat. I had a friend who was super hospitable and cooked very well, but she was often licking her fingers as she worked and it totally put me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gross! I saw Chef Paula Dean do that once when she was cooking beer bottle chicken. She licked the juices off her fingers, then kept touching the chicken as she explained the process. One can never be too safe, even when they have no gut issues.

      Delete
  10. How nice for the Baker - except for the Choker, of course. Scary. You might be onto something with the reverse feng shui food...
    Love the re-enactment 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The choker was over it unusually fast, but it's given me a name for her should she show up in future posts .... The Choker or maybe The Fallen.

      Delete