Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Who's Counting

The world of politics having momentarily moved on from complete insanity (with No. 45's exit) to b.s. and nonsense as usual, I’ve turned away from the news and I’m back to my true crime dramas.

I am, however, keeping an eye on how many Capitol rioters have been arrested.

According to the Crowd Counting Consortium, anywhere between 3,000 and 10,000 people participated and, to date, 85 arrests have been made.

Big Whoop!

Still nowhere near the 1,400 BLM protestors arrested.

So, as for who’s counting … that would be me. I’m counting, and still laughing to keep from crying.

After this morning’s workout, I headed to the market for a few items and, after entering, began walking towards the refrigerated section for eggs.

Turning that corner, I saw the isle was empty except for two women. One was a matronly looking woman and alongside of her, just about the required six feet distance, was another woman who I immediately read as sketchy.

She was bundled up in baggy pants, a baggy top with a hood, was holding her mask to her face and, frankly looked like a homeless street person. The way she was so completely covered, to where her identity was hidden, was more than a little suspicious.

Where she was standing, it could have been she was waiting her turn to get into the refrigerated case that Matronly was browsing. But something told me otherwise and, when I saw Matronly had her back to her shopping cart, purse in cart — purse open, completely oblivious to Sketchy hovering, I slowed down and began keeping an eye on what my spidey sense discerned as a crime about to happen.

Pretending to consider products in that area, all the while trying to talk myself out of getting involved, I nevertheless kept a side eye on Sketchy and watched as she never moved — that is not until Matronly moved to the next case. That made me think well maybe they’re together. You don't want to make a fool of yourself by getting involved if there's nothing to get involved with, so I moved on to the end of the isle for the eggs I’d come for.

Now at the end of the isle, I took my time picking up a carton of eggs, so I could observe Sketchy. She never moved away from Matronly, they never spoke and Matronly didn't seem to know Sketchy was there. So not together.

Sketchy began glancing right then left, appearing to be checking on who was around and waiting for the right time.

She became aware I was watching her and then, a worker appeared from the back, dropped off a carton, looked up from her work, saw Sketchy and, like I, thinking something might not be right began paying attention, Sketchy moved away from Matronly to about halfway down the isle — between where I was standing and where Matronly was shopping.

Then Sketchy just stood there, staring at the refrigerated section, making no attempt to select a product … waiting for the coast to clear.

Worker didn’t do anything, just looked quizzically at Sketchy for a second, then went back to working in the back. I then picked up the eggs and, instead of turning the corner to head for what was next on my list, I retraced my steps towards where I came in so I could pass Matronly.

When I got to where she was, head still in a refrigerated case, still oblivious, cart still to her back, purse still open, I stopped next to her, said “Excuse me”. When she turned to face me, I said, “You see that person at the other end. She appears to be stalking you. Watch your purse”.

She said, “Oh! Thank you” and, insofar as I was concerned, my work was done. It was on her if she didn’t begin paying attention to her surroundings after that.

Leaving the market, I saw neither Matronly or Sketchy.

Wish I’d thought to take a photo of Sketchy’s outfit. The way she was dressed, so as not to be identified, could not have been more obvious. Had she not been so extra cautious, I would not have given it a second thought and she could have walked out with Matronly’s purse without anyone knowing … not even Matronly because she was so careless and so clueless.

14 comments:

  1. I NEVER take my purse to the grocery store. I put my drivers license and my debit card into the inside coat pocket, and zip up my coat. they gonna have to struggle to get it from me.

    the matron is a damn fool. thank you for speaking up, shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not taking a purse is the smart thing to do. I wear a fanny pack. Matronly was literally just asking for it.

      Delete
  2. Sadly there are many easy Marks like Matronly and make Sketchy's out there too who will victimize them every chance they get. I too am counting with you my Friend and it bothers me so few arrests have been made of armed Domestic White Terrorists who were there to lynch and kill elected Officials and were brazen enough and felt entitled enough to film themselves doing it! If you can't catch a charge with that, well, what can I say... having Retired from a very large D.A.'s office I feel there's infiltration already at extremely high levels well beyond just 45. Many are obvious, many more aren't and until they're all weeded out, we got serious trouble in this Country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way things are going, I believe you're right about infiltration at high levels. Sadly, they appear to be winning.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I wonder how some people can be so clueless. Then I remember 74 million people voted for the orange asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You handled that situation like a true pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very observant. They should hire me for store security. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Store Security and wearing one of your Super Hero Ensembles, looking Fierce!

      Delete
  5. That was beautifully handled. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matronly will never know how close to danger she was. But, if she keeps shopping with her purse set up for a grab and run, she'll eventually learn the hard way.

      Delete
  6. I think you did her a great service and hopefully she will be aware in future. I am glad that you alerted her. I do think there is something of the detective/policeperson in you. I have it myself as Dad was in the Police for 40 years.

    ReplyDelete