Saturday, January 9, 2021

Consequences Part 2

Waking up early this morning, too early to tune into TV news about the ongoing fallout from the Capitol insurrection — without disturbing my neighbors by the noise, as sound does carry early mornings when all is still quiet, I instead booted up the computer and browsed through several news sources.

Rather than being disturbed by the happenings, as some of you are, I find it fascinating, can’t stop watching — probably because of the contrast between what I’ve observed all my life when minorities are involved.

I captured a comment from facebook which seems to nicely sum it up.

As to what the consequences will be other than fines, job loss, possibly Covid from being in a crowd, one commenter wrote “Everyone who gets charged and convicted for the attack on the Capitol should lose their right to vote”.

That would be Divine Justice.

It’s interesting to see that the FBI actually is investigating individuals identified as involved which, sadly, involves not just low lifes that lack good sense, old opinionated fools, a bunch of nothings trying to be something, but lawyers, police officers (no surprise there), a fireman, lawmakers, school personnel.

There are actually videos posted by news sources, in various cities where these people reside, of the FBI searching their homes.

Can you imagine?

Back at home, thinking you’d gotten away scot free, only to have the FBI knock on your door … and the operative word here is “knock”, not bang, batter ram or shoot through.

Can you imagine?

The shame, the embarrassment of your neighbors seeing the FBI going in/out of your home, carrying boxes, your face in the news.

I myself actually had a visit from those guys.

It was back-in-the-day when I was too naive to understand it was the friggin FBI and I should be concerned, embarrassed or afraid.

It was shortly after I graduated from high school, had a job and was taking night college classes.

Not yet on my own — still living at home with my mom, brothers, sister, I returned home from work and was met outside, as I approached the door, by two big Caucasian guys in suits.

They identified themselves, named a certain individual, said they were looking for him because he’d joined the Navy, decided he didn’t like it, and had walked off.

I forget the technical word they used for it but, evidently, you can’t do that. LOL.

I did not recognize the name they gave me but, upon being shown a photo, I recognized him as someone I’d seen at the high school I attended in my first year of high school.

The kids at that school were too fast and too rough for the quiet, naïve, studious person I was, so mom moved us to a house across the line to put me in a school district more my speed.

At any rate, though I remembered seeing the guy at that first high school (Black guy), I didn’t know him … not his name, had never spoken to him.

They believed me, that was that, and I really hadn’t thought about it until this morning, watching the FBI hunt Capitol terrorists down.

If I could go back, I’d ask the FBI what brought them to my door.

Someone had to have given them my name, but why?

Had the guy been lying to his friends, trying to boost his resume by saying I was his girlfriend?

I don’t see his face now, but I do remember he wasn’t anyone I’d have been attracted to. Not just because I was a late bloomer, had not yet begun dating, but because he was butt ugly.

I must have been about ready to begin dating, however, because I do remember being attracted to the two white FBI guys.

At any rate, as faces are shown in the news, I’m keeping an eye out to see if I recognize some of the Klan girls and Klan guys from that group I dealt with at the job I retired from.

If I do recognize a face from that group, I’ll be posting “Ha! I knew this was what you were” to their facebook page, then turning ‘em in.

Meanwhile, in Calhoun County, a deputy arrested a Black man — in front of his children, for going door-to-door, in his own neighborhood, trying to collect signatures for his tenant’s association.

I’m sure the man had his children with him because he figured it would be safer for him, that the optics of his being out and about — even though in his own neighborhood, would look less threatening to observers.

It didn’t.

The cop said they received a call about a “suspicious person” and, instead of investigating, the cop immediately went to handcuffs and arrest … even adding that age old ploy (lie) of using the word “gun” in the arrest report, which there was not.

The man is lucky not to have been shot on sight, in front of his children; and probably would have been, had he not been arrested on a resident’s porch, in full view of the resident and her home security cam taking vid.

Every single time I see a politician saying that, after what’s happened with the Capitol riot, we should look forward, not back, healing, unity, come together, I roll my eyes.

It’s never ever going to happen.

The most we can hope for is people will go back to keeping their opinions and prejudices to themselves.

Live and let live in our separate but not equal corners.

7 comments:

  1. I've read a few entries of your blog.... Kudos from Louisiana... I will put you on the read list... I especially liked the bravery that you displayed in handling the "Knife Guy" in one of your blog entries..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard Tommy. I do seem to get more than my fair share of drama, less that I'm mostly on lockdown now and don't go walking much.

      Delete
  2. I just added you to my blog roll today. racism sux and the differences were on full display this week. I like the idea of convicted domestic terrorists losing their right to vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lose their right to vote AND forced to live with No. 45 at Mar-a-Lago. Let's see how loyal they'll be if they have to experience his lunacy up close and personal, all day every day.

      Delete
  3. "...keeping their opinions and prejudices to themselves."
    It's going to take a while to put that genie back in the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was 30 miles away from the house when the FBI visited me. One of my roommates was home, and they went into the shower to get her. She went through the roof, and they backed off. She came out wrapped in towels and chased them off. I came home to find the other batch of roomies had left in a hurry. It turns out, unbeknownst to me, they were importing drugs, and had defaulted on paying for a sports car by burning it to a crisp.

    Boy was I innocent too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the kind of thing that can change the course of your life. ruin your future, through no fault of your own. We live and we learn. Bet you chose your roomies more carefully after that.

    ReplyDelete