Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Day the Power Went Out

Winds howling through the quad at 60 mph yesterday, the utility company carried through with its Public Safety Power Shutoff and cut power at the complex, and in the area for miles, at 8:30 a.m.

At least they let me get through breakfast and a cup of coffee before shutting me down.

The unseasonably hot weather had calmed down so, also at least, my unit didn’t feel like I was living in a microwave oven as I waited out the utility company’s discretion.

Day before the outage, I’d settled down on the couch with a bowl of popcorn, a cup of coffee, and watched the final 24 hours of No. 45 playing out on the screen.



It was delicious ─ not the popcorn, but seeing the would be king with yet another fail on his record.

I had to laugh to keep from crying when coverage switched to after mat of the riot because, out of the thousands and thousands involved, 50 arrests had been made.

Big Whoop! thought I, inasmuch as there weren’t nearly that many involved in the BLM protests, but 1,400 arrests had been made.

Fifty is better than the zero I’d expected and, having no access to the internet or television yesterday, those numbers may have risen, but I’ll stop laughing to keep from crying when it gets into the thousands.

At any rate, instead of sitting on the couch yesterday, feet on the oak chest, enjoying seeing 45’s last few hours, moving vans at the White House, it was sitting on the couch, wearing my camo onesie p.j’s, having a cup of coffee by candlelight with John Wick.



Today is touch and go.

Power was restored around 11:00 last night. It’s still on this morning as I get through breakfast and post to the blog; BUT, the wind continues to kick up. So I imagine power will be shut down again sometime today and it will be one day at a time, for the next few days.

No matter, as I had no plans to watch the Inauguration anyway. All I’m interest in is seeing No. 45 gone and the homegrown terrorists take a hit to their white privilege.

It’ll be just a hit, not an end to their privilege, but what I see now insofar as consequences is more than I’ve seen in all my time on earth, so it is what it is.

23 comments:

  1. I was up at 5 a.m. just in time to catch sight of the helicopter leaving and my heart rose as it rose to the skies! Hurray! I went back to bed afterwards for a snooze. I am not going to watch more today as I don't enjoy those pageant events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the blackout, I missed everything. Did he get the gun salute, flyover and red carpet treatment he wanted? Did he get a crowd of adoring supporters? I too don't enjoy those pomp and circumstance pageant events.

      Delete
  2. That's funny, a Wick with a wick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No the military refused his military parade and send off. I would have prefered a firing squad however he left and no one but staff and photojournalist there. Then he fly to quantico to board the flight to florida. Good Riddance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that must have been a blow to his enormous ego ... that, for the first time in four years, he didn't get what he demanded. It's going to be sooo nice, not to see his ugly mug on the news.

      Delete
  4. the inauguration ceremony was FABU! and we now have a Black female poet laureate! spouse and I live-streamed it from CNBC.

    dumphead had a VERY small crowd at both the previously-whites-only house and AAFB. tiny red carpet at the WH. I didn't watch him leave as I was thinking evil thoughts and I don't give five fat flying fucks if I ever see his miserable fat orange ass again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny red carpet to match his tiny hands, tiny brain, and tiny you know what (according to Stormy Daniels).

      Delete
  5. The constant pain in my chest is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It was constant fear of what he'd do next and to whom.

      Delete
  6. I'm like you. For some reason, I was more interested in watching Trump leave. I guess I had to really see it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A belt Michelle Obama wore is all over the news. I'm looking for a closeup. What I see of her suit, I'd say she stole the show, but I've yet to see what Kamala wore.

      Delete
  7. I came in after he was already in the helicopter, I saw the last folks walk up with briefcases etc. Then the soldier on duty closed the rear door, marched up the front steps and pulled them up after himself. He is gone!! Rejoice. Our daughter & s in law are taking champagne to their distanced social hour at the townhouse today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like this ... people so happy, celebrating with champagne even, because a president left office. Even Tricky Dick Nixon didn't garner this much we're glad you're gone.

      Delete
  8. Love the Keanu Altar Candle. We had a Power Outage for the first time in many Years, due to street construction digging. Since they put most of the Utilities underground now we don't have the outages we had years ago when they were above ground and every time it stormed during Monsoon Seasons. Got our new Air Conditioner installed Today and watched the Inauguration too, I felt so relieved and celebratory and was glad there was a Peaceful Transfer of Power, as it should be... albeit we had more of a Military Presence than in all the overseas Theaters of War... but, it was necessary unfortunately due to these Domestic Terrorists and the very real threat they pose to Democracy and Public Safety. I too think there aren't nearly enough arrests and the pandering to these Racist and Extremist Groups needs to end. The Man's mantra is Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. He has zero tolerance for Insurrectionist Traitors and Treason, after giving so much to his Country for 39 Years of Military Service, they sicken him. Enjoying all the privilege and turning on the Country that afforded it to them... talk about shitting where you eat... dumb low-information backwards fucks. It is already widely known that it's mostly non-college educated Whites that flocked to this Madman and thought him to be their Messiah... the dumbing down of Americans has consequences. People of any persuasion with better Educations are better able not to be manipulated so easily and discern bullshit from facts and Truth. These cretans were like putty in his hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The coats were worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to locate a photo of who wore what. I'm more interested in fashion than speeches.

      Delete
  10. Now the Dems have to get off their butts and get things done. They have two years to prove themselves. The midterms are never good for the Dems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is such a mess and, of course, there's going to be opposition ... for no reason other than politics. So don't hold your breath.

      Delete
  11. I was certainly a good day yesterday!!!!! I was right there with you the day before too, watching the final kicks of a barely living vessel, squirm about. I only hope on the way to Florida, the plane went by way of the Bermuda Triangle.

    It's been windy here too, but no power outages thanks goodness. It's much colder here for them to be doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermuda Triangle would have closed its entryway to him. LOL. With him gone just these few hours, it already feels like he, and his swamp, were long ago and far far away.

      Delete
  12. Farewell and good riddance to Big Baby.

    ReplyDelete