Friday, January 1, 2021

Welcome 2021

The New Year started off on a good foot.

That good foot being, I found the book and doll I’d intermittently searched over a year for.

The items turned up when I’d given up and wasn’t even looking for them.

Isn’t that always the way.

Instead, on Christmas Eve, while reorganizing and decluttering — making some hard decisions about letting go of items no longer of use to me now or in the future, but which I’d been holding onto because letting go is so tough, I was moving a container of craft items and spotted a container of books I didn’t know I had, did not see in all my other searches.

Lo and behold, the book and doll, both items I’d searched for all year because I wanted to display in October for Halloween, were right on top.

Too late for Halloween now, but at least they’ve been located and can be put on display October this year.

I’d purchased the book in 1969 and, when I learned the author — Louise Huebner, the Official Witch of Los Angeles at that time, was making an appearance near my workplace, I used my lunch break to walk over, make her acquaintance, ask her sign my book.


I’ve no idea what those symbols mean, but maybe Debra at She Who Seeks and/or one of her knowledgeable friends can decipher and let me know.

The symbols could be wishing me good fortune or thanking me for paying full price for the book because, oddly enough, that was one thing the author asked, “Did you pay full price for this?”.

Evidently, she wasn’t selling many copies back then.

I don’t remember what full price was 50 years ago — it can’t have been much compared to book prices today, but turns out it was a nice investment because, researching the author to see what she’s up to, I find she died in 2014, published several books that sold well, and this particular book is considered rare. So rare that —a used hardback copy is listed on one site for $70, another for $110.

Inasmuch as those prices are low, I’m assuming the books are not in good condition.

There being a resurgence of interest in this particular book, there's been a mass reprint, and a new hardback on Amazon can be purchased for a whopping $768.57! Strangely enough, two used copies are available through Amazon for $884.44. 

They must be in better condition than those going for $70/$100.

My copy is used, has a 1969 publishing date, is in excellent condition AND autographed, so who knows.

The book was my anchor during some very hard times, so I’d never sell it, but I’d better let the twins know it’s rare, don’t toss it in the trash when I die; and to check, with reputable dealers, for other rare books in my stash, as I’ve got everything written by or about Edgar Cayce, Joel Goldsmith and a few other new age teachers from back in the day.

Me being such a generous employer, I gave Trainer today off. That means with another three-days (Friday through Sunday) of no training, no off-premises errands, nowhere to go until Monday, in between binge watching episodes of Dr. Who, I’ve been tackling a few to-do’s on my list, including reorganizing the bibs and medals area.

I tossed the wooden boards, put up a new medal holder for future 5K.


Bibs have been relocated to a bib folio.

Cover


Inside

Medals previously hanging from the wooden boards are now on a tabletop medal display, and the area looks a lot less cluttered now, more feng shui compliant — though not exactly.

Before

After

The floor plan of this unit doesn’t give me the option of exactly. Instead of medals in what feng shui designates as “the Fame corner”, they are located in the Wealth/Prosperity corner, but it must be working — giving me chi that draws in abundance and harmony, because I've been blessed with both.

In fact, placement of everything in this unit, because of the layout, is a little off, feng shui speaking. However, I’ve a lot of wood furniture, and with the help of stones and candles to balance, the rooms feel comfortable and peacefully Zen.

On tap for today is needlepoint, while watching more of Dr. Who on BBCAmerica until the marathon ends this evening, or until it’s time to switch channels to the new season of RuPaul’s Drag Race.

If the wind dies down, I might head out onto the patio and begin the process of putting Christmas back in storage.

So far so good, how's it going for you?

13 comments:

  1. There's another store selling that book for $1,008.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! If I had to guess, I think I would have purchased new for about $10/$12 back in 1969. Probably less.

      Delete
  2. The story of your book is amazing and also the fact that you found out about it being worth so much. Most folks would not have discovered that.
    You have done a lovely neat job of displaying all your awards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I not had the thought to research the author, I probably would not have learned the book's value. When I get time, I might start researching some of the other books.

      Delete
    2. Well now I'm curious. What meeting were you referring to in the unpublished comment?

      Delete
  3. I was trying to figure out how to get the 'reply' button for each comment. One person thought it had to do with the particular theme a blogger was using. What theme do you use for your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using "Simple" which, since the changeover, is no longer all that simple.

      Delete
  4. HNY, shirley! we woke up on this side of the grass, so all is right with the world. your re-org looks great. enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Happy and Safe New Year to you as well, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Whoo Hoo on finding out how much that Rare Book might fetch and especially given yours is Signed by the Author! I too tell my Adult Kids and Adult Grands the Value of what will be their Inheritance one day. They could make an Online Biz Living out of Selling it off at Auctions or Buy It Now Featured Online Sales! I could probably too if I had the inclination to go that route. Which I don't. I think your 'Before' pixs look more Organized that my "After", so Bravo, you rate as Organizational Feng Shui Jedi Master in my Book! *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty funny that my before is better than your after. I'm kind of a neat freak, don't like a lot of clutter around me, always striving for what they call the "minimalist lifestyle", but never quite getting there because of the books, craft supplies, leggings and miscellaneous trinkets I can’t bring myself to get rid of. But, I'll take that title of OFSJM. LOL.

      Delete
  6. It is interesting how books and art go up or down in value. I like to hold on to both so I understand your attachment. You may leave your girls a fortune after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the girls expand not only their wallets, but their minds as well by reading the books before selling.

      Delete