Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Profiled

So, the day started off okay.
After performing the morning ritual, I hopped on the indoor bike to do the homework the trainer had given me.
On the days I’m not working out with him, except Sunday ─ my one day of rest, I am to do 30 minutes of cardio.
After the bike I hopped online, read blogs, email and saw that my new fitness tracker had arrived and was available for pick up at the big box store.
Killing two birds with one stone, I took some of the cookware the instant pot rendered obsolete down to the car, as I’d be driving pass Goodwill.


That’s two down, a steamer and miscellaneous other cookware to go.
Arriving at the Big Box store, I decided to use the women’s facility before picking up my order AND when I exited the ladies’ room, there was this big burly security guard standing outside the door.
Didn’t think anything of it until, remembering I also needed another set of earbuds, I began walking through the store trying to find them.
When I finally gave up searching on my own and looked up to find someone to assist me, I noticed the security guard was standing in the area, eyes on me.
What the heck!
Upon getting assistance in locating and deciding on which earbuds to purchase, I walked over to the pick-up counter, got my pre-ordered item, was paying for the earbuds, looked up and once again ... there was that security guard standing in the area, eyes on me.
As I completed my purchases, I pulled out my cellphone to take a photo of him but wouldn’t you know ... he was done with making sure I didn't steal anything and had disappeared.
Leaving the store, I left a message for the security guard with the kid who stands at the door checking receipts. “Your security guard followed me to the ladies’ room and through the entire store. Tell him I said he was wasting his time”.
Though these incidents of being profiled are NOW a lot fewer and further between, it’s maddening when they do. Last time was back in August at the craft store.
It's a mean thing to hope for but I always hope that while wasting time watching me someone else is stealing them blind.
At any rate, I’m happy to be able to track my activity once again. I’ve been without a tracker for weeks, since shortly after I’d mentioned the strap broke and I repaired with duct tape.
I’m not all that materialistic, so I was happy with a duct tapped tracker. But then the battery failed. It took time to find the correct battery, but then I couldn’t put the battery in because I needed a tiny Phillip’s screwdriver to get the battery compartment open. That took several more weeks to get, but then the screws were in so tight I couldn’t get the compartment open.
Finally giving up on the old tracker, the batteries and the Phillip’s screwdriver, I spent a few days researching trackers before deciding on a Vivosmart 4, but then I had to wait a week for notice it had arrived and was available for pickup at the Big Box store, only to get there and be profiled.
I’m not naming names as to WHERE this occurred, but ....


It’s an insane world. The Orange Traitor seemingly is off the hook due to Mueller’s report. We're stuck with him and probably for two terms. Jussie Smollett also is off the hook due to who knows why, while my old law-abiding arse is getting profiled for shopping while Black.

3 comments:

  1. I had a similar thing happen in the not too distant past and I'm a little old white woman. I forget where I was but when I got home I told my daughter that I thought I was being watched by a store employee. I'll confess, it really felt weird and I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It gives you a weird uncomfortable feeling. Especially when they make it deliberately obvious in an effort to intimidate. I'm almost tempted to find a reason to go back, buy something, then ask to speak to a manager if it happens again. I'd ask that, after so many years of purchasing expensive electronics from that store and not stealing anything, what is it about me that necessitates security focusing on me and me alone in a store full of customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a story too. I hadn't been to the Science Center in a long time so I decided to go one day. It was school trip day. There must have been 500 6-7 year olds running around the place. Here I was, a lone white male, wandering around. It wasn't long that I noticed I had a tail. A black security guard. I let him follow me a while. Then I just turned around and stared at him. The staring contest lasted about 30 seconds when he decided to move along.

    I'd forgotten about that. I'm sure you don't have a chance to forget before you get reminded again.

    ReplyDelete