Friday, March 29, 2019

The Great Bagel Controversy

Browsing news feeds yesterday morning, I came across an article entitled “New Yorkers horrified by crime of bagels sliced like bread”.
I found the article so interesting that I followed a thread which led to “Twitter lashes out at sociopath bagels sliced like bread”.
The whole controversy I found funny as all get out, but thought the idea of slicing like bread to be clever, wondered why no one, including myself, hadn't thought about doing so before.
Later in the day, I saw that Kathy asked what her readers thought about the controversy and, when I said I thought it was a good idea, going to try it, she replied “Let us know what you think”. So, Kathy, this one's for you.
My food restrictions necessitate I make my own bagels using Almond Flour, and so it was this morning.
Fresh from the oven ...


The “Sociopath” slices from the news article looked like this ....

Saint Louis Style

My sociopath slices  looked like this ....


Sliced like bread, they come out appetizer sized/snack size.
I was good with that because anything made with almond flour is way more filling than that made with bread flour. When I could eat a regular bagel, I could get through two whereas I can barely make it through one made with almond flour. So sliced like bread, I can pick and choose what to eat, what to save for later.
End pieces of bread are the best, so the two end pieces were lathered in almond butter and gobbled up pretty fast while still warm.
Next two outside slices looked like they’d make a good sandwich for a slice of uncured bacon, but I was out of bacon and turned them into a vehicle for a fried egg instead.
That left the two slices in the middle, where the hole was.
Those slices looked flimsy, as though they’d not hold up but, surprisingly, they did.


Like I said, almond flour bagels are filling so, already breakfasted out, I decided to save those slices for lunch. I’ll mash up avocados and turn them into avocado toast.
Remaining bagels went into the fridge for breakfast and lunch next few days.
Sometimes I don’t get through all six bagels before they are no longer appealing, so I’m testing out ways to turn the left-overs into bread pudding.
Last week’s attempt was an epic fail.
And yes, that is a paper plate I’m eating from.
I’m not fancy.

6 comments:

  1. I bet folks all over are trying them sliced. I can't chew them, so I let the controversy pass me by. Brilliant thinking tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following up on your experiment. Almond-flour bagels sound wonderful! Can you freeze the ones you don't want to immediately eat for future use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They will freeze. I just never have gone that route. Like them immediately readily assessable without having to unfreeze.

      Delete
  3. Hum. That's interesting. I've never seen bagels slice like that aside from bagged bagel chips. Hahaha. Thank goodness we still have the freedom to cut our bagels as we please. Don't tell the orange one or he'll try to regulate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bagels look yummy! Best wishes for a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They were. I played around with the recipe, added maple extract, cinnamon and they tasted very much like a French toast bagel.

      Delete