Monday, March 11, 2019

Springing Forward

It doesn’t seem logical that time springing forward one hour would throw me so off center but with that time change, along with all the chaos going on in the world running through my head, the day has been challenging. Starting with my not being able to fall asleep last night.
There I was ─ tossing, turning.


Sleep wouldn't come, so I turned on the lights and put in some reading time.


Unlike Bob Woodward’s book Fear, which was so boring that I’d get sleepy after a page or two, Cliff Sim’s book made not being sleepy worse because it’s so interesting, stimulating, a lot of laugh out loud funny.
It must have been around 1:00/2:00 that I put down the book, picked up the tape player and popped in a meditation tape.
That did the trick because next thing I knew, I was waking up ... but late, very late ─ 9:30 a.m.
Waking up so late didn’t give me the time to putter around that I usually need before I decide to start living. And, but for the fact I HAD to make a Sprout’s and Ralphs market run, because I was out of staples and also needed to pick up something for tomorrow’s Saint Patrick’s Day potluck, I’d have blown off the entire day.
Getting dressed turned into a circus because, after picking out a pair of warm socks, I lost one between the bedroom sock drawer and the couch.


After looking here, there, back/forth from one room to another, I gave up, sat down on the couch to collect my thoughts and ......


There the missing sock was, on my left foot.
I began to reconsider trusting myself outside, but carried on.
The wind was howling so, not wanting to drive 20 miles, I took a chance on that new Sprout’s ─ where the parking lot had been so crazy.
No problem today. There was not a line at that chicken place, no armed guards, and plenty of parking. However, I did see a sign on the door of Sprout’s that I’ve never seen in any market anywhere, any time.


I got in, out and on to my next stop without getting shot, but what the heck is that sign about?
Did someone actually come in and do their grocery shopping while carrying a gun?
At any rate, I hurriedly picked up what few items I couldn’t get at Sprouts, and something easy peasy for tomorrow’s potluck at the next stop.


It’s a good thing that Sweet Tooth had run its course, and I’m now not remotely tempted, because these on my counter overnight would have been dangerous.
At any rate, as I turned to push my purchases away, after going through the checkout line, the casher got my attention with “Ma’am, Ma’am”.
I turned, puzzled and asked, “Did I not give you enough (money)?”
“You didn’t give me any”, said she.
Still puzzled, trying to put it all together, I realized the cash was still in my hand.
“Oh”, said I. “That’s why I’m carrying this in my hand”.
I made it home without further incident, but I can’t wait for this day to end, and will probably stay home until my mind, body, spirit adjusts to this time change.

6 comments:

  1. I read that it takes a week to adjust to the time change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week! We'll I'm glad to be retired and can stay hidden away until the week is over. LOL.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry. I just fell asleep over my keyboard. Your reactions were far more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I was waking up ... but late, very late ─ 9:30 a.m."
    You mean very, very early. I have to set an alarm if I want to get up that early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a hard change this time. Usually I adjust to the time change, spring or fall, pretty quickly. This one has messed with my inner peace, too. Of course, as you wrote, the whole world is in such a mess that it's hard to function right now.

    ReplyDelete