Monday, March 4, 2019

Senior Moment

Thinking tomorrow was the 12th of March already, I headed to the market for a dish for tomorrow’s Saint Patrick’s Day potluck.
We’d just had the Valentine’s Day (Sweetheart Potluck) event last week ... very late because of budget issues, so I was surprised to see yet another potluck so soon on the Activity Calendar.
Nevertheless, I signed up to bring a dish and was thinking along the lines of Starbucks Coffee or some kind of green Ice Cream.
Tomorrow, and the remainder of the week, is not looking good for us seniors weather-wise here in the Inland Empire ─ cloudy, rain, rain, showers, rain, rain, cloudy.


Consequently, I decided against driving to Starbucks tomorrow to pick up a Starbucks traveler, lug it in along with creamers and cups in the rain, and headed to the market for ice cream this morning.
Then I saw a sale on Slaw.


Corned beef and potatoes are on the menu, so cabbage slaw would be a good accompaniment, thought I, even though it’s Asian slaw. Plus the price was right ─ two for $6.00.
Once back at the complex, it occurred to me that we’d gotten two weeks into the month of March awfully quick, so I looked at the calendar to recheck the date, only to see today is the 4th, not the 11th.
I don’t think the slaw will do well after sitting in my fridge for eight days, so I’m stuck with two packages of Asian Slaw I can’t eat because the vinaigrette and wontons have ingredients dangerous to my health and well-being ─ wheat, corn starch, soy. To top it off, I looked at the receipt and noticed I was charged regular price ─ $3.99 each.
I’d take them back, except, I’m overcharged only $2.00 and the market was not the local corner store, but the one out of the area near Costco, because I drove there for gas ─ too far to go over a $2.00 overcharge.
While watching Chopped on Food Network, I had the bright idea to use the veggies, toss the other stuff. A shirataki noodles stir fry was my first go at repurposing the slaw.


It worked. After adding almond butter, coconut amino and sriracha, I had a meal which was better than take-out.


That’s half a package of slaw down, one and a half to go.
Shortly after I returned from the market, Head Maintenance Guy (HMG) showed up in response to that maintenance request for new blinds for the kitchen.
I was glad it was he that responded, rather than his assistant. However, instead of bringing up new blinds, he decided to “fix” the broken string.
He looped it together somehow, got the blinds back up, but the blinds now look squished and slanted and so precariously put together that I don’t dare touch them for fear of their falling apart again.


HMG himself didn’t express much confidence in his work, saying, “I fixed it but, when it falls apart, I’ll order new ones”.
Why not be proactive and order new ones now?
But you know what? 
If you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you know I’m not the type to make a big deal. Instead, I lay low, bide my time, wait for the opportune moment and then BAM!
I’ll live with the tacky looking fix until we next have an inspection. Then I’ll nonchalantly open the blinds to let the sun in, and watch the blinds fall apart in the presence of the inspector.
Bet I get new blinds lickety split then.

4 comments:

  1. I like to have natural light in my house. It would NOT work for me to have the blinds closed, even for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you and it wasn't working for me either -- to have those blinds closed, so I very carefully turned the rod to let in more light this morning. Fortunately, the blinds held up.

      Delete
  2. When you rent you pick your battles. Somethings are really important and need to be repaired asap. If you can live with them like they are for a little while, the maintenance guy will be appreciative and so will the office - if they are told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. I like what you did with the veggies. :)

    ReplyDelete