Monday, August 27, 2018

Weekend with Generation X and Millennials

I was looking forward to this coming weekend away from the old folks, hanging with a younger crowd, but now I’m not.
A kid I met on the job some 25 years ago, whom I’ve maintained a friendship with through my job changes and retirement, through his job changes and a relocation to Fargo North Dakota -- where he opened a restaurant, a bakery and ran a Farmers Market, is on the move again. This time, he’s back in California, living in a fancy high-rise in San Pedro, hosting a Fleet Week Roof Top BBQ, which rooftop has a view of activities associated with Fleet Week, including the sights and sounds of the Beach Boy Concert.
It appears, San Pedro has gone through a radical urban renewal because, when I was growing up in a nearby community, San Pedro was not the place to be because it was strictly a seaport and stomping ground for sailors on leave — full of bars and girls. Now it appears the area is fancy housing and activities for the Gen Xers and Millennials.
I first met Q back in 1993, when he came to the office from a temp agency to cover my desk while I was on vacation and, when hired back to do other tasks for the law firm, made a point of coming over to meet me saying he wanted to see who the person was that had made covering the desk so easy for him because I’d left a step-by-step manual of what duties I performed for each of my three attorneys.
Though he was in his mid-20’s, I in my 50’s at the time, we just clicked.
Q clicked with a lot of people. He’s just one of those humans who seem to be blessed beyond belief. He’s honest, decent, people instinctively like him, good things magically appear for him, every venture he touches turns to gold.
And so it was that, after coming to the firm as a temp to cover my desk, he became the most requested temp, eventually hired permanent, rose through the ranks and became my supervisor — with my full support because he became a buffer between myself and the difficult to deal with attorneys.
There were three of us subordinates under Q and he was the most fun I ever experienced in a job situation. There were weekend jaunts — like the time all four of us went to Catalina Island, karaoke parties after work, all kinds of fun parties and events until a merger came along a few years later and sent us our separate ways – he to another department in Los Angeles, me to San Diego.
Still, I’d make my way to L.A. to attend Q events, even once blew off my own family to spend Thanksgiving with him -- met some of his new friends, met his mom.
THEN, a further merger sent Q to San Diego to, believe it or not, the same floor I worked on, where it was on again – dinners and things, introducing Q to new coworker friends I’d met.
He charmed them all and made some lasting friendships, even though Q did not like San Diego, eventually quit and struck out successfully on his own, eventually landing in Fargo to open his own business, look after his ailing mom.
His mom passed away recently so, with no reason to live in frigid cold Fargo, Q sold his businesses and is now back in town, involved in another venture, and rounding up us former coworkers/now long-time friends from L.A. and San Diego.
How could I say no to the roof top gathering, especially when people were Facebook messaging they were looking forward to seeing me again, and the invite came with the offer that if the drive from the Inland Empire is too much, I could spend the night at Q’s place.
Q’s new apartment is only 7 miles from my favorite hotel, so I opted for that instead so I could kick about on my own.
At least that was the plan until, after saying I’d be there, I learned the event doesn’t start until 4:00 in the evening, ending 11:00 that night.
I guess that’s what the younger crowd does, but I’m more a start at 11:00 a.m. end at 4:00 p.m. age group, so these hours are going to be a challenge for me.
Then, I learned that parking is plentiful in the area, but is going to be a problem because of the Fleet Street goings on, not to mention I’m worried about my food restrictions.
I’ve been cooking and freezing meals to warm up in the Instant Pot, so hotel meals are covered. But Q’s rooftop menu has me worried — “BBQ Chicken, hamburgers, sausages (maybe some Galbi - Korean beef ribs), veggies and there will be a lot of other stuff. We will also have Smores to toast on the firepit!
I can deal with the veggies, but only if there’s no season salt or anything other than olive oil on them, plus I can take my own special turkey burgers to add to the grill, but everything is getting so involved now that I’m feeling attending is becoming more trouble than it’s worth.
My initial excitement at getting up close and personal with old younger friends is weaning. I’m seriously looking for a way out and soon, so I can cancel the hotel without a penalty.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I know it's California and no one ever thinks of walking but do you have to so you don't have to deal with the parking? I bet if you just went and parked at a hotel and walked to the event. Saw folks and left early it may be enough to satisfy everyone seeing you and you seeing them and having a lovely time. Don't get grumpy about it, I do that all the time. Just go with the flow on this one and see how it works out. I'd be more troubled with 20 somethings than all the other stuff. Enjoy yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 miles is more than my feet can handle, plus there's a bridge involved. But I did think about parking at hotel, taking a cab to the event, but didn't want to have to hassle getting a return cab. BUT, if I can't find a way out of attending, I'm sure I can at least come up with an excuse to leave early.

      Delete
  2. Can you walk over from your hotel? Go at 4 and leave before it gets dark. Don't eat anything, just have a glass of sparkling water. I do this all the time at events i go to where food is served buffet style. I love talking more than eating, so I just mingle and talk and drink my sparkling water. Go, have fun, leave early. You'll be glad you joined the celebration of old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost did go for a hotel within walking distance, but decided on my favorite, 7 miles away instead. Cabs are readily available from the hotel, but I've often run into trouble getting a return cab, so looks like I'll have to hope for the best in finding parking. Mingle, talk and water sounds good and maybe I can slip away early when folks start eating and drinking.

      Delete
  3. Have you considered taking an Uber? I ditto other's advice to go early and stay only as long as you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uber did cross my mind, but those folks scare me. I'd rather hassle for parking and leave early, than risk being raped or murdered.

      Delete