Tuesday, August 21, 2018

End of Summer Luau

No bad dreams last night, but woke up at 2:00 sharp just the same.
Go figure!
Gave up trying to go back to sleep and instead putzed around playing Candy Crush and reading blogs until 4:30, after which I hopped back in bed to give sleep another try. This time, however, not wanting to finally fall back asleep and wake up as late as yesterday (9:00), I set the alarm for 7:00, which would give me plenty of time to take my time getting ready for today’s back-to-back activities.
Activity Director showed up today, per schedule, albeit a half hour late (actually, three hours late if you count the fact she skipped picking up pizzas herself and just showed up later for the luau), but the point being she’s still on staff.
This morning's Pizza Tuesday was the same old same old, with two new residents picking up, delivering, organizing in Activity Director's absence, and the afternoon “Luau” turned out to be just a fancy name for “yet another potluck” – hamburgers and a few dishes, brought by residents, which dishes can’t be identified but which I’m assuming are cultural in nature.





Would have been nice if dishes had been labeled as to who made what.
Would have also been nice if Activity Director had livened up the event, which was well attended, with leis and Hawaiian music, but noooooo. And the only decorations were those purchased by the Residents Volunteer Activity Committee, which turned about to be a few lanterns, the cloth and banner underneath the serving area.





Looking at those dishes that can't be identified, I was glad to not be able to eat anything.
About the only things that looked good, and which I recognized, were melon, chips, potato salad and The Baker’s macaroni salad, all of which I love but, so conditioned now to clean eating, that I had no problem staying away from.
On the other hand, it was painful to see Banana Pudding (provided by Church Lady), and not dare to indulge.



What stopped me from digging in is the fact, as good as it probably was going to taste, no way would the taste be as good as not being sick for a week would feel.
So, that's it for the End of Summer Luau. Hopefully summer will cooperate and also end, so I can get back into my walking routine.
No word on The Seer's supposed birthday party this Thursday. A birthday card was passed around for signature, but neither The Seer nor Shadow graced us with their presence at the luau. If, however, The Baker follows through with baking a cake, I'm sure The Seer, followed by Shadow, will come to the Community Room to bask in being the center of attention.
This homie don't play that, so I'm going to try my best to make myself scarce that day, including not answering my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment