Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Rumor Mill

After checking in with the seniors on Pizza Tuesday, I learned “Everything is confused and the two people in there (pointing towards the office) are not talking to anybody”. Consequently, with no facts to rely on, the rumor mill is coming up with its own explanations for missing staff.
“Assistant Complex Manager is on vacation”.
“Assistant Complex Manager is sick”.
“Head Maintenance Guy is taking time off”.
“His mother bought a house up the street. He’s spending time there with his new baby”.
“The people in the office are not from a temp agency. They’re from HUD (Housing and Urban Development. The complex has been taken over by HUD”.
That rumor was so ridiculous that I dismissed it on the spot, telling the rumor spreader that it didn’t make sense.
“The guy in the office is from Corporate, the girl is a temp employee”.
That rang the truest and came from the most accurate source, who’d actually charmed her way into the guy’s office, talked him into loosening his lips enough to identify himself and also saw he was wearing an ID Badge.
So, Corporate is in the house but your guess is as good as mine as to why regular staff has gone missing.
I do know for a fact that Corporate does not have a replacement for Community Manager in mind, and it will be a long time before one is appointed, because the position is posted as an opening on the Corporate’s Career site, which means Corporate has to first accept applications then interview candidates before deciding on a hire.
We may get lucky as former office assistants, whom we liked and who liked us and only left because a previous Community Manager (Nurse Ratched) was impossible to work with, may be interested in the job.
That is ... IF any of them know of the opening and IF any of them can handle the Corporate politics.
I was happy to see Activity Director walk into the room carrying pizzas and stuff when I went down Pizza Tuesday. So, she’s still here.
Residents hurried out to help her unload her car, but what happened to the residents she had picking up pizzas for her?
Did they get fired from the volunteer activity because they refused to fill out that form Corporate had requested, which form included a background check OR have all these staff disappearances prompted Activity Director to hide the fact residents were continuing to pick up and deliver without filling out the form OR is she just now seeing the need to prove her worth ... “Look how hard I’m working”.
Activity Director is usually very chatty about what Corporate wants, what Corporate is doing, but she’s not talking now -- we’re getting the distinct impression she’s been warned not to.
At any rate, she’s planning on an End of Summer Luau for us in two weeks, on the 21st. Potluck, of course, so I’m not expecting much. But I’ll go, take photos. That is ... if the Luau actually happens because, from the way things are going with Corporate, a lot can happen in two weeks.
Lastly, after checking in with the folks, I headed out to the tire place where I’d previously purchased tires for the Saturn. Having not really paid attention to the sign, when I use to pull into the bay to get the Saturn tires checked, this time I noticed it said “free tire pressure check” ... free ... period ... no purchases necessary ... no strings attached.
Woo Hoo! because this having to do it for myself on the Jeep was a drag.
I will however carry the portable air compressor in the car and, it in the case of an emergency where I have no one to rely on but myself, I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

3 comments:

  1. Don't you have AAAS there. I'm not about to head out in my antique vee-hickles without AAA. Nice to read about your corporate fuss and not feel alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you used the portable air compressor? Make sure it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed the operating instructions, but they weren't detailed enough -- I need an air compressor for dummies book. I'm now frustrated and don't want to deal with it until the time comes I absolutely must.

      Delete