Friday, April 6, 2018

Reboot

Deciding I needed a break from the seniors, and the world in general, I’ve been devoting most of my time to meditating and, today, I rebooted my exercise regime, logging in 5.9 miles on the indoor bike to earn this cool t-shirt in the Virtual 23.2 Mile King Arthur Challenge.



A play on “Straight Outta Compton” isn’t it cute?

Of course, a medal is also earned.



I hadn’t planned to get really active again until after next month’s Donut Run 5K, but the t-shirt was calling my name.

I’m not looking as forward to the Donut Run as I had been because I think I made a mistake to invite my two daughters and granddaughter. I’ll get through it, but think I’d enjoy it more if I competed alone because I’m less and less comfortable around daughters and granddaughter. Especially since the daughter I’d recently reconnected with posted something on her Facebook page that I’m taking as a criticism of my parenting skills.

This from the woman who was verbally abusive, somewhat physically abusive and failed her children in every way possible, up to and including giving them to relatives to raise, and abandoning the one she couldn’t find anyone to take, which resulted in my relocating to Long Beach to keep the child (granddaughter) from being homeless.

Both daughters, in the rare moments of clarity, have thanked me for putting them first in life and, on the rare occasion, said something that sounded like appreciation for being the example that made them be the strong capable women they are. THEN, both will turn around, mentally blame me for the results of their own actions, and say something negative about my parenting skills or, like the latest, post something non-descript on a Facebook page.

I don’t need people like this in my life, daughters, granddaughters or no. Thus, why I’ve been spending so much time in meditation. Trying to stay calm and centered so I won’t react, tell all of them to go to hell, tell them none were a picnic to raise and, in the case of granddaughter, no picnic to try to help after her mom abandoned her. Meditating is what's keeping me from striking back by pointing out what they accuse me of is what I had to tolerate throughout their terrible teens, the way the daughter with children has spoken to her children, and the way daughter without children treats everyone in her life, including coworkers.

What really chaps my hide is, even though the daughter with children was like the worse parent ever, and I had hurt myself financially providing for the kids, when their mom chose to take care of herself and herself only, the grandkids absolutely love their mom and could give two shakes about me. That is with the exception of the one granddaughter who told here mom outright, "You ruined my life!" She so dislikes her mom that she's become a danger to her mom, resulting in her mom taking out a restraining order. And this is the woman who recently threw shade at MY parenting skills.

Through meditation and exercise, I’ll maintain and let the lot of them think/believe what they want, get through the Donut Run with them, and then I’m done.

They’ll be darn lucky if they ever see my face again.

Tuesday’s pizza delivery was, once again, a lot less than previous deliveries. So, it was first come, first serve, and not everyone was served.

No matter, because the seniors still were fed at the 1:00 belated Easter celebration.

The table decoration was cute.



And the little sandwiches and salads were very Spring like, which prompted me to think Activity Director should have titled the event “Spring Potluck” since Easter had passed.



Topic of conversation was Apache’s fight with the office over the pit bull.

Taking advantage of seeing Corporate Boss Lady (CBL) on the premises Tuesday of last week, Apache approached her about the pit bull. CBL’s position was the pit bull has papers certifying it as a companion dog. Apache’s argument is the dog has been aggressive on more than one occasion, which aggression trumps those papers as companion dogs can’t be aggressive.

Apache, and witnesses to the encounter, say CBL didn’t want to hear it, closed her door in Apache’s face, locked it and got on her cellphone.

Apache, upset about being disregarded thusly, called Animal Control, who arrived, checked the dog’s papers, pronounced them valid and left.

Apache, not to be thwarted, called his contact at the County. A representative was scheduled to arrive to assess the situation.

A representative did indeed arrive that same afternoon. The representative and Apache did not approach CBL. Instead, they went in to speak with Assistant Community Manager, whereupon CBL rushed out of her office, ran into Assistant Community Manager’s office and said, “You wanted to see me?”

Outcome of the meeting was that Apache would keep a record of incidents with the pit bull and that, after six incidents, CBL would take another look at the issue. The County Representative agreed, “Six. And if nothing is done after six, we’ll go over your head”.

Apache logged in three incidents before the end of that day and, four days later, there were eight, the latest being Saturday, when a resident had to lock herself and her dog in the pool area, because the pit was being walked, had tried to attack her dog, and the woman walking the pit thought it was funny, taunted the resident, and refused to remove the pit from the area so the resident could head back to her unit.

When informed, management’s position was, “They can walk that dog wherever and whenever they like”.

You can’t win ‘em all and, obviously, management is siding with the pit.  So, I say throw in the towel, learn to live with the pit bull and take measures to protect persons and pups should the pit break free of its weak wobbly owner. However, Apache is your typical Trump supporter – stubborn, bullheaded, doesn’t like to be wrong or to lose, so he is now in mortal combat with the pit bull, staff and CBL. CBL must also be a Trump supporter because she’s dug in her heels and doesn’t seem to care who, over her head, is called upon.

I’m going to miss Apache when he’s gone, because CBL is a force.

No comments:

Post a Comment