Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Say What?

Spent the holiday weekend focusing on downsizing non-essentials … letting go of books and spiritual study materials I’ve outgrown and packing up glassware and knickknacks, so I’d be marginally ready for movers when the call comes on that wait list unit. I even de-cluttered the closet. Clothing I’m not ready to let go of, but which has not been worn in four/five years or more, went into storage containers. If an event comes up and I need an item, I can always pull it out, take it to the cleaners and be good to go.

As I look around, I still have so much stuff. Stuff that I don’t need, don’t use but, for one reason or another, can’t bring myself to part with.

This goal of living with less, moving with less isn’t easy.

I’m gonna need a lot more storage containers for now and make some tougher choices when it’s moving time.

The plan was to take the books, now in the trunk of the car, to the local Library today, let them have first pick and, what they had no interest in, take to Goodwill. Today’s plan was also to stop by UPS and ship spiritual study materials I’d outgrown, but held onto over the years, to an interested party in Washington.

Neither of those plans came to fruition, as I was so wiped out from all I’d accomplished over the weekend that I never left the unit. Instead, I rested and slept most of the day away.

I did have a short burst of energy around 9:30, when a call came in that another 2 bedroom 1-1/2 baths unit had become available. The call was from the leasing agent at the complex which originally had a 5-year wait list, had fulfilled the list, and was taking residents first-come-first serve. When I’d toured the property, they only had the one unit available and an old guy and his wife took it quick, fast, in a hurry. I did not request my name be added to the new wait list, did not leave a deposit cementing my name to the list, yet I got the call.

Interesting.

At any rate, even though I’d liked the complex, but not the drab unit, I would have gotten off the couch and headed over to see if the available unit was more cheery than the one I’d originally seen; however, after talking with the leasing agent I learned the complex had income restrictions and I’m over.

A little disappointed was I, because it's a nice complex, a nice area, but took it as a sign it wasn’t meant to be.

Along about 6:00 in the evening, I logged onto the computer, checked email and lo and behold there was a message, earlier in the day, from Nurse Ratched.

"Pest Control is scheduled for tomorrow morning to treat the walls where the termites were swarming so they do not come back. Please accept this as your '24 hour to enter'. After the treatment, for your safety, you would have to leave the apartment for 3 or 4 hours. When you come back to your apartment you can open the windows and sliding door to vent the area." 

Say What?!

After stringing me along for so long, I think she really means it this time, but why now?

What’s changed?

I think I know …

When I went to view that other property, the leasing agent asked, “Have you been here before?”

“No. I just learned this place was here.”

Talking with her as we toured, I learned she recognized me because she’d been an Assistant Manager at this complex … one of those who’d escaped Nurse Ratched.

It’s very possible that’s why she called me so quickly, even though I didn’t ask to be called, and it’s very possible word of my visit and intent filtered down to Nurse Ratched.

It can't be coincidence that, after nothing further from Nurse Ratched in weeks, on the day I get called re an availability, Nurse Ratched decides to do her job.

At any rate, having to be away three/four hours tomorrow will give me time to drop off the books and ship the study materials.




It's going to cost a small fortune to ship these packages but inasmuch as some of the material is out-of-print, and from as far back as the 60's 70's 80's 90's, it would have been criminal not to pass on to other seekers of truth.

Will the fact Nurse Ratched has finally gotten around to doing her job insofar as termite control make a difference to me?

Yes, no, maybe and probably not.

I'm less interested now in that short wait-list compound in the middle of nowhere, though I'll still tour the unit once called. However, I will continue to pack non-essentials and actively look into other senior communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment