Thursday, May 12, 2016

Everything Goes Towards the Light

I’m still working on yesterday’s Eat What You Want Day meal.

I did say one order of Chicken Pad Kee Mau would get me though lunch, dinner, lunch the next day but, though I didn’t find much chicken in the order (Thai Place is under new management) the noodles and veggies were generous. So generous that, when I went to finish the leftovers off as today’s lunch, there was enough for lunch AND yet another dinner.

Since yesterday was an off clean-eating day, I stopped by the market and picked up a pint of a new ice cream I’d seen in a magazine. An ice cream that had me at the word “shortbread” as an ingredient.

I do love shortbread cookies, but haven’t allowed myself that indulgence for over two years, so ice cream with shortbread went on my bucket list.

When not following the clean eating program, and indulging in sugar, I’m a Ben and Jerry Cherry Garcia girl, but I gave this Haagen-Dazs Vanilla, Tangerine and Shortbread ice cream a try and wasn’t disappointed. There’s still a half pint to be finished off, so looks like my Eat What You Want Day has been extended to two days.

It was bright sunny yesterday so, of course, the termites showed up in the afternoon. There weren’t very many, about a half dozen or so and, believe it or not, an actual termite control professional showed up this morning, along about 11:00, accompanied by our cute new Maintenance Supervisor, just as the termites were beginning to swarm.

Termite guy pronounced them dry-wood termites, and found a tiny hole in a corner of the bedroom windowsill to be the entry point. No luck finding patio window entry point, but did find signs they’re living in the wall along that side.

One of the things I enjoy about this unit is its location. I’m upstairs, in a fairly safe location, facing the sunlight, don’t feel all closed in by other units, and the view can’t be beat.


View from Patio Window

View from Bedroom Window

It sounded rather metaphysical when Termite Control Guy said, “Everything goes towards the light”. What he was telling me is, inasmuch as termites are attracted to light, my unit being on the sunny side, I am the lucky recipient of swarming season.


As to what’s going to be done, didn’t sound like tenting when he said, “Our product takes 45 days after treatment.”

“Holy crap!” says I. “It’s already been 59 days.”

“Soon as I get a report written up and they (management) approve it, we’ll come out and get started clearing it out. In the meantime, here’s what you can do …”

This you won’t believe.




That’s duct tape you see.

Termite Control Guy instructed Cute Maintenance Supervisor to duct tape the windowsill.

I thought it ridiculous, but lo and behold, the swarm ceased. They couldn't get through. However, I'm the world's worst skeptic and think they’ll just look for another way in, so I remain on termite watch.

Before leaving, Termite Control Guy asked, “Are you spraying them?”

“Yes”.

“It’s making it difficult for me to see where to do the treatment. So will you not spray them?”

“No. If I see ‘em, I’m killing ‘em”.

“I know you’re afraid of them. Some people are so afraid, they throw their furniture away.”

“I’m not afraid of them. I’m annoyed by them and don’t want them crawling around in my unit.”

End of that conversation.

Now that termite control has finally been here, will be interesting to see how long Nurse Ratched drags out getting this taken care of.

2 comments: