Saturday, February 19, 2022

Tale of Two Cities

Weather was too nice to stay indoors today, hide away from the world with needlepoint and recorded television programs, so I headed out to drive out-of-the area, 20 miles to the farmer’s market to listen to music, people watch.

Heading to the car, whom did I see yet again but my buddy Apache.


This time he was here helping a resident with a flat tire.

Wouldn’t you know he already had news and advised me that we do indeed have a new Complex Manager, a woman whom, he said, began working here last Monday.

THAT was quick. So quick that I suspect the new person, No. 9, had been decided upon even before the job opening was posted. Possibly, someone who knew someone, a friend of a friend needing a job.

Friends don’t let Friends work for toxic corporations so, as to whether they will remain friends if it doesn't work out, remains to be seen.

Remembering how the ground was so hot last week at the farmer’s market that my feet were on fire through the Birkenstocks, I started to wear walking shoes but instead wore the camo Birkenstock sandal, because it had a thicker sole and I wanted to look cute, not functional. Consequently, I didn’t log in near as many steps as I’d have liked to — only 2500, but I put in more steps than this little cutie, who seemed to have made up her mind that she was done with this walking thing.

This far and no further Dad

The Holistic Habits stand wasn’t there last week, can’t count on their being there next week, so I jumped on the opportunity to pick up a jar of a product I’d used before for when that old injury in my right shoulder acted up.



I had a hard time locating this week’s musical offering. I could hear it, but it took some looking to find it was coming from a D.J. over in a corner.


Off in the distance like that, away from the crowds, I doubt he got many tips. Plus, the music was kinda suckie. I couldn't even figure out what genre it was.

People who live in that area have no idea have blessed they are. A short walk, jog, or drive and there's places to go, things to do, all manner of eateries to enjoy.

I did see a brand-new senior complex had been built in the area, checked into it, but it’s the same old story of my being in a gray area. I'm either over income and thus can’t quality for the many new low-income complexes going up AND, at the same time, do not have sufficient income to quality for a regular senior complex — a non-low-income building.

The one I saw, within walking distance of the farmer’s market location, is going for $3,000 A MONTH!!! And you can just bet that will increase every six months.

I’ll stick to cheap rent in the area where, after an afternoon of basking in the sun, watching the more fortunate, I returned to where the words "people watching" have a whole new meaning.




8 comments:

  1. Boy, Apache knows EVERYTHING, doesn't he? He keeps his ear to the ground at all times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if his ability to be so good at digging up information has anything to do with his being a No. 45 supporter.

      Delete
  2. $3000 a month? Good grief that's insane.
    Apache is a wealth of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new manager!
    And how nice to see a photo, albeit masked, of the all-knowing Apache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and I are always taking selfies. I'll have to post more of them.

      Delete
  4. Good God that Senior Complex Rent is WAAAAT more than my Mortgage was at the McManse or this Mini Farm... I couldn't afford to live in Cali, nor would I want to, but paying that much is probably why Cali has such a Homeless population problem I suspect? Anyway, good to see a pix of Apache, I'd imagined what he might look like and he sure does his Recon well, that's for sure. I just bought some Birkenstocks at a Chazza and haven't given them a Maiden Run yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are 100% correct as to the rents being the reason for the Homeless population. Greed is the name of the game, so rents are continuing to rise, so it's only going to get worse. Since retiring, I went from boots and heels to Birkenstocks. Some are not as comfortable as others, but feet look cute in them, especially if you're wearing toe rings.

      Delete