Saturday, February 26, 2022

Black History Parade

Driving to the Farmer’s Market, to soak up the sun, listen to music, was preempted today by an appointment at the Tire Place to check that tire I’d gotten an alert on back in December.

Though the kid at the Air Check Station said "It’s probably just the cold weather", I’d been keeping an eye on the pressure, saw that tire lost air just a tad sooner than it should AND with the possibility of a drive out of town in the not-too-distant future for a three-day meditation retreat, figured I’d better get the tire properly looked after.

Arriving at the location, I saw barriers preventing my turning into the plaza housing the Tire Place and other businesses.


Then I saw people marching down the street.


Though the manner of dress didn’t seem appropriate for what I'd assumed were demonstrators protesting Russia invading Ukraine, I was sorry I’d not heard of it so I could have made arrangements to join them.

Then I saw a blinking street sign indicating "Black History Parade".

The clothing made sense.

Inasmuch as I was barred from reaching my destination, what I should have done was to turn right — the only direction allowed to proceed in, pull over and park in that shopping center, watched the parade.

That’s not what happened.

Instead, I wasted 30 minutes of my life driving around, stuck in traffic with people who, just like me, were trying to find ways around the parade, get to our destination. One I gave up, found my way back to where I'd left off, with plans to park, watch the parade, I found the parade had ended and I could now turn left into the plaza.

Guys at the tire place found a "Tiny nail" in the tire. No charge for repair and, when I asked why, "We don’t charge for minor fixes as a way to drum up business".

Works for me, though just the fact I can pull in and get a free air check is incentive enough for me to buy my tires from them.

While waiting for the repair, thinking there probably would be entertainment at the parade’s end, I checked Google information as to where the parade began, where it would end.

Lo and behold, I was there, at the parade's end.

It was just a few feet away, across the parking lot in front of Home Depot.

Who knew?



"Rich Boy Sandwich" sounds interesting, but $20 sandwiches??? I don't think so.

Others didn't mind. The line was long and unending.

Our Brown brothers and sisters participated in the parade and provided entertainment.



Little Miss Black Awareness Queen.



I was raised in the church but, opting to walk the road of a contemplative, one who meditates, I haven't been inside a church in more years that I can remember. I do recall, however, that Praise Dancing was just beginning in the churches, as my church days were ending.

For those of you who are not familiar with the words "Praise Dancing", it's a form of worship. Praise Dancers use their bodies to express the word and spirit of God.

The roaring sound you'll hear in the Praise Dancing videos is the wind, which was blowing something fierce in that area.



All in all, it looks like, thanks to that slow leak, I was in the right place today.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you got your tire fixed, plus had fun at the Black History Parade event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I know it's an annual thing, I'll be prepared to see from start to finish next year.

      Delete
  2. It does now make me wonder what a Twenty Dollar Sammie tastes like? *LOL* Right place, Right time, glad you got to experience some of the Celebration and Share it here in The Land. I just Love a Parade, a Festival, Street Fair, anything like that. I just saw on our News that an Italian Festival was going on, I didn't even know they had one... I've been to many specific Cultural Events thruout the Years, there are many and always so enjoyable. I particularly love the cuisine offered... especially if it's something unique I've never had before. I remember at one Street Fair with a Cultural Theme the Ethiopian Booth had these Samosa type filled Pastries that were Divine! I think they called them Sambusas and I've never been able to find them since that Festival... dammit. I suppose the difference between a Samosa and a Sambusa is their filling... Sambusas not being Vegetarian and rarely having a Sauce dip offered with them. Anyway, I like both but would love to be able to find the Ethopian Sambusas available somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only downside for me ... I can't eat any of the fabulous offerings.

      Delete
  3. Glad they found the teeny tiny nail once you got to the Tire Place.
    What a roundabout way to get to the festival. Maybe the organizers could put a notice up within your apartment complex next Festival. The Praise dancing seems to have some Samoan threads to it. Looks like everyone had a good time, especially the poor sandwich maker providing rich sandwiches. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The festival is a few cities over. One has to live in the area to know about it or, like me, luck up on it.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you were definitely in the right place. And I'm glad you were able to get your tire fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You WERE in the right place. Coincidence? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so. Happens quite a lot for me, this being in the right place.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of Praise Dancing but it makes a lot of sense to me. I'll have to look into it further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very moving. I got somewhat emotional listening to the words of the songs and the movements the group used to depict those words.

      Delete