Thursday, February 24, 2022

Duck Duck Goose

The cleaning portion of today’s dental visit went smoothly but, when it was time for the examination, I asked if I was to be examined by my regular dentist, Dr. McDreamy. The Hygenist said no, it was his day off, she was handing me off to a Dr. S.

I think McDreamy is phasing out, semi-retired.

Something told me Dr. S. was young Doogie, the DDS who looked to be about 15 years old that I’d gotten stuck with the last time McDreamy wasn’t available.

I’d never seen Doogie before that time, and he made a bad first impression with a display of ego and overconfidence.

He said he’d found an area up front, lower teeth, that appeared to be spacing. That it looked like it once had a filling, the filling fell out and that it was an easy fix. "We wouldn’t even have to numb the area" and seemed to assume I'd be scheduling with him.

I’d never had a filling in that area which, if Doogie had first looked at my chart he would have known. So, rather than walking in there acting/talking like a big man in an effort to impress, he left me feeling NOT impressed and distrustful .... that he was trying to pad the bill with unnecessary work.

At any rate, I asked the Hygenist, "Is Dr. S. the young one?"

When she said yes, I said, "No. I don’t want him. Do you have any women?"

She laughed about my saying no to Dr. S., said they had no women DDS, then handed me off to a Dr. C.

I’m surprised she didn’t ask me why I didn’t want Dr. S. If she had, I’d have just said, "I don’t care for his energy, don't trust his opinion".

At any rate, Dr. C was very thorough, too thorough. It’s time to have the old metal fillings removed, replaced with what’s now, and two crowns are involved.

I am not looking forward to all the work required but, looking at the close-up photos he showed me, I can see it's time.

The work is going to cost a fortune, but when I expressed I was more concerned about the pain than the cost, asked if he could put me to sleep with gas, he said no, but he could give me some kind of nitrous oxide solution.

"It won’t take away ALL the pain", said he. "But you’ll be so buzzed that you won’t care".

Sold! I’ll take what I can get.

At any rate, I took the scenic route (streets instead of freeway) to the dental office and pulled over when I saw, what I originally thought were lawn ornaments, come to life.


I’m a City girl. Consequently, I don’t know what these are, but I’m thinking either duck or goose.

Whatever kind of critters they are, how are they here in a business district?

Where did they come from as there’s nothing but offices, government buildings and traffic in the area.

Two and a half hours later, on the way back to the complex, I saw the critters were still there.


I guess this is where they live full time.

Curious as to what this place is, I parked and found the building is a Library/Park situation.

What caught my attention, other than the ducks or geese, whichever they are, was the War Memorial out front … Civil War.




A portion of the memorial is dedicated to those from San Bernardino who were Killed in Action in Viet Nam.




Odd that I should come across a war memorial when, here we are, on the day Thing 45's boyfriend has started a war. As if there are not enough problems in the world.

Apparently, the Horsemen are coming — a pandemic, a war, that's two of the four.

Just sayin.

18 comments:

  1. Those are Canada geese. They go south for the winter from my country. Don't mess with them, they can be means sonsabitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why they seem undisturbed by being surrounded by traffic and people. Probably have chased off a few folks.

      Delete
  2. Those look like Canada geese. I live in the DC area and they live everywhere around me and have for a long time. Lots of people consider them a nuisance animal -- droppings and whatnot. I have a high tolerance for them, but then they don't poop all over my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are two loose goose! Usually they'll hang out where there are little drainage or landscaped ponds around the city. Half of a strip mall area in K.C. had to close because there were so many around the parking lot. It's hard to steer them where you want them to live.
    They've been confused about the on/off weather and can't figure out how far north they need to be right now. Some land just as school is out around my DiL's teacher exit door. Goose poo on the sidewalk. I understand if one is hurt, another stays behind from the flock (the ones that make the V in the sky,) until it is healthy. Near such a pond around flat land with several industrial buildings, I saw one on the edge of a building's flat roof, looking around!
    Rent or stream the movie "Fly Away Home." Based on a true story of geese imprinting on a little girl, and the family led them in an ultra-light to the correct nesting place in Florida. Cool movie. No poop. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they find their way home before someone gets fed up with the poop and calls animal control.

      Delete
    2. I don't think city animal control units can do anything. We can't shoot them; they're protected to some degree. My parents' condo had an outdoor pool, and management put crossing wires over the pool to discourage the geese from getting into the pool. That worked most of the time. When it didn't, the pool had to be re-cleaned and disinfected.
      They're pretty much year round birds in K.C. but larger flocks seem to head to Texas in the winter. With climate change drifting around, they may never go back to Canada. Linda in Kansas It's 6 degrees this morning; why should they head further north? LOL

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of metal fillings, and at every six month checkup the dentist says they should be replaced. That dance has been going on for three years. When they fall out or start hurting I'll take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A problem with two of the fillings might why I’ve occasionally experienced an ache that Dr. McDreamy could not pinpoint, had no answer for. So, it seems at least some of the work needs to be done. I’m debating whether I have enough life remaining to outrun the others going bad, but don’t think I do. That I might as well get it all over and done with.

      Delete
  5. My brother just had some dental work done and they too told him they couldn't knock him out and they gave him Nitrous Oxide as well as numbing the area. He said never again that he felt a lot of pain but because of the gas, wasn't able to move and the dentist knew he was in pain and just kept saying he was almost done. Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before they start, I'm going to mention this story to them and say we need to come up with a safe word or safe signal to stop. Maybe blink furiously. AND if they don't stop when I signal there will be hell to pay.

      Delete
  6. As others have said, I'm pretty sure those are Canadian geese. My town is full of them during the winter (now). Poop dodging season.

    I'm no fan of dental work, but it's a necessary evil. "But you’ll be so buzzed that you won’t care" sounds fun? The last crown I got, I went for gold. So now I'm walking around with some tangible value. 10/10 recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the geese are here to stay, I'm guessing there eventually will be others. Buzzed does sound like fun. Haven't felt that since the 60's ;-)

      Delete
  7. LOL! Medically buzzed can occasionally make you see double and become nauseated. '60s buzzing wasn't like that. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check into that before work is started, along with what Mary said.

      Delete
  8. The Downtown Geese made me Smile becoz they're everywhere here too, Urban Geese. *LOL* Sorry to hear about the Dental work needed, I need some too but am waiting until I'm on Medicare this Year so that I don't have to pay 100% out of pocket. The porcelain on a Crown chipped off, it looks more cosmetic than necessary to replace and Crowns are stupid expensive. I wouldn't want Dr. Doogie either, glad you refused him, if someone doesn't inspire confidence nor trust, I do not want them touching me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm going to call them from now on ... Urban Geese. I'm now wondering why Dr. McDreamy didn't tell me long ago the metal was leaking in areas and needed to be removed.

      Delete