Saturday, February 5, 2022

A Touch of Normal

With no plans to go anywhere or do anything outside the unit this weekend, plans changed when I ran out of a floss color.

Checking with the local craft store — make sure they had the color in stock so as to not waste a trip, color me a bit peeved upon arriving to find they were out, but I quickly reverted to my philosophy that there is a cosmic reason for everything.

The next nearest craft store was 10 miles away, but inasmuch as I didn’t want to be out and about in the first place, I thought to go back to the complex, order the floss online. But then, headed towards the return freeway entrance, I found myself hanging a right in the other direction to get the floss color quicker.

In and out of that craft store in record time, floss in hand, I headed out and ran into a blockade that looked like something to explore.


It was a farmer’s market with all kinds of produce and vendors, not to mention every kind of street food and sweet stands imaginable that I cannot eat.

It was at that moment I realized that most everything fun we do is based on food, and how these events are so not worth attending for us that can’t indulge ourselves.

EXCEPT, it felt semi-normal to feel sun on my masked face, listen to Bluegrass music.


An interesting thing I learned at the craft store … I don’t know if this is done to everyone, in all areas, or if it’s only when people of color present $20, $50, or $100 bills, but it makes me feel uneasy, somewhat like a criminal when the cashier holds the bill up to the light, checking to see if it’s counterfeit or legit.

At the craft store, they now have some kind of machine to denote legit from counterfeit and, as it is with most new machines, the cashier had trouble getting it to work. I knew it was a legit bill I’d given the cashier, he indicated he knew it was legit as well as he struggled to get the machine to verify, so I didn't think he was checking because he felt I was a criminal.

The machine did eventually do what it was intended to do but, in the interim, I said to the cashier, "Why don’t you do like I’ve seen others do? They hold it up to the light. I don’t know what they’re looking for, or if they just pretend to be looking for something".

The cashier said, "What they’re looking for is the same president on both sides of the bill, and sometimes they can tell when a $10 bill is doctored to look like a $50".

Interesting and good to know just in case someone tries to pass counterfeit on to me.

Speaking of people of color being viewed as criminals …. It’s Black History Month. We’re supposed to be on vacation for 28 days from having to deal with BLM stuff, but there they are in Minneapolis having to protest yet another no-knock warrant killing, and then there’s the situation of Chase Bank denying an account to a Black doctor presenting them with a $16,000 check — even after she presented proper ID, a business card and the medical center she was employed at verifying her employment.

Can we not be subjected to further murders and indignities for the mere twenty-three days remaining?

Is that too much to ask?

16 comments:

  1. Indeed. And my Republican state house members just passed a bill banning the teaching of "critical race theory" in schools. What balderdash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth of how the system works in a biased manner is too obvious now to think they can hide behind banning the teaching. People have eyes. They're finally beginning to see what's been obvious to POC all along.

      Delete
  2. I send respect, for more than 28 days.

    Yep, as an aging white person, before covid, I've had almost every $20 bill checked or marked with some weird brown pen. I recall a couple of bills held up to the light, but it's been awhile since I've held a $50 or $100 bill. I didn't know they had machines for this now.

    What the heck is color floss? I thought floss was for teeth: I've seen white, pink and green. Is this for embroidery or a project? I'm confused. LOL. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take your extended respect and pass it around :-) All this checking kinds wants one to use change instead of bills. The floss of which I speak is DMC 6 Strand Embroidery floss for my current counted cross stitch project.

      Delete
  3. I don't use cash for much, but when I do it's common to see the clerk check if it's real-usually by using a detector pen that looks like a highlighter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, it's looking like this checking is normal procedure for all people in all areas.

      Delete
  4. Reading this reminds me that I almost never pay for anything with cash. I didn't know there were machines for checking counterfeits. I haven't seen those, but I've had the magic detector marker wielded at me in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far, the craft store was the only time I saw a machine being used. Those of you who say you hardly pay for anything with cash, what are you using ... bitcoins, wampum?

      Delete
  5. They check notes over here in the UK - usually £20 and £50 pound ones but not so much any more now that we have the new polymer ones. I mainly pay by debit card which is probably the most popular way of paying. Most tap and go limits have now been raised to £100 - usually only have to put your pin number in every 20 or so uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the "new polymer ones" you speak of?

      Delete
    2. The plastic type- but like the new Canadian ones.

      Delete
  6. Once, my lily white, retired Air Force officer father was taken by security and questioned. He was wearing nice slacks and a sport coat. They thought he was shoplifing but he was just wandering around the store (looking suspicious?) waiting for my mother to finish shopping. This happened near East St. Louis so there were also black men around. Who knows, maybe they had an "old white man" quota to fill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me think of the time Mike, over at Billions of Visions of Normal, was followed by security while visiting a museum. Evidently Mike had the misfortune of visiting on a day when a group of children were on a field trip. With children around, it made Mike stand out, look suspicious insofar as security was concerned. But at least Mike was not "taken" and questioned. That's a little much. Hope your dad raised hell.

      Delete
    2. My father was a kind and gentle soul. He was just embarrassed anyone would suspect him of being dishonest. He believed in honor. Seems like a long time ago that the country had a lot of men like that.

      Delete
  7. Since I don't watch news, I didn't know about the doctor. That might have had something to do with the amount of the check but if that were so, they should have made it a point to explain that. Such craziness out there. I think no-knocks should be done away with but then I live in the state of Texas where everyone is encouraged to pack a pistol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All they had to do was to open the account she was requesting, put a hold on the check. Instead, they refused to allow her to open an account ... period. Now it' going to cost Chase a lawsuit resulting in more than $16,000.

      Delete