Thursday, September 9, 2021

Knock Knock, Who’s There?

Thinking it was UPS with a delivery, I opened the door yesterday afternoon to see three residents from a building over.

At first glance, it looked like a posse that had taken care to block my ability to escape, if necessary — what with the tall redhead standing in front of my door, the nice little old guy (that had been raided by the police, guns drawn, because now former resident Cat Lady had reported him as killing cats and humans) standing halfway down the stairs, and a woman I’ve never seen before standing at the bottom of the stairs, holding a dog.

I quickly learned they’d been directed to my door while trying to track down a car parked in a handicapped spot.

The tall redhead, recognizing my face when I opened the door and who knew I drove a Jeep — that the person they were looking was not I, asked, “Do you know who drives the silver Nissan parked in the handicapped spot”.

”Oh, that’s _____’s car” and I directed them to Next Door Neighbor (NDN).

”What’s wrong with her car?” asked I.

”Nothing’s wrong”, said the tall redhead. “There’s a cat trapped in the engine”.

Oh Snap!, thought I and, as the tall redhead turned to NDN’s door, I quickly put my bra back on, put a mask on (none of the three were masked), grabbed my cellphone to record the happening, and headed out the door to follow NDN and the others as they headed for the car.

Those of us around here, who mask up, appear to be a dying breed. But insofar as I know, none of the three have had covid. So, it didn’t worry me as much as the fast walking covid recovered woman going maskless.

As a matter of fact, it looked like those of us wearing masks were in the minority everywhere I went today. Others were going about their business looking as though the pandemic and variant were over and done with.

At any rate, as I followed the group to NDN's car, I was asking questions — like how do you know there’s a cat in the engine?

”We could hear it meowing”, someone answered.

I found that hard to believe because of where NDN parks. You'd have to be right up on her car to hear meowing and, if you were, why were you so close to her car?

”Who heard it meowing?” asked I.

No answer.


(For some odd reason, Blogger now requires double clicking to view videos).

That’s one lucky cat, kitten actually, because NDN doesn’t let much grass grow under her feet — she’s always going, doing, but had stayed in that day.

What a mess it would have been if she’d not stayed in, gotten in the car, turned on the engine.

One near death experience used, eight cat lives remaining.

As for where this kitten came from, it’s a mystery. The Tyrant trapped and got rid of all the cats some time ago, and the only one I’ve seen around since is that black cat that crossed my path last month.

I saw that black cat hiding in the bushes last week, so he or she is still here, but there doesn’t seem to be a familial relationship between that Black cat and this spotted kitten OR as Jerry Springer would word it, "Black Cat ... You Are Not The Father".

As for where this kitten is going, the three that were at my door headed off to find food for the kitten. I’ll have to catch up with one of them to find out if anyone here is adopting it.

I suggested to NDN that, inasmuch as the kitten was in HER car, she should adopt it.

She gave me that LOOK Black women are known for — the look that says it all without words. LOL.

Today was the last necessary item on my to-do list — the Optometrist.

My prescription hasn’t changed much, but I nevertheless ordered new frames for reading glasses, driving/progressive sunglasses, and added an additional pair for computer/crafting.

On the way back, I stopped by Sprouts for butter lettuce and was surprised to see the store reorganized.


They’ve added self-checkout.

Not fond of self-checkout, I’d rather stand in line forever.

17 comments:

  1. Takes a neighborhood to save the kitty! Hooray! Glad you could help the adventurers think through the episode. I hate self-checkout too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This episode has me hesitate to start up my car now, without listening for a sound. This self checkout is putting a lot of grocery workers out of a job or maybe it was a labor shortage that brought it about. Either way, self-checkout is not fun.

      Delete
    2. Bang on the car as you walk around it, or on the hood and top of the roof. Hopefully a hidden creature will make a noise and/or leave. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. If I hear a hissing, as in snake, I'm burning that car to the ground.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad kitty was saved. I love the self-checkout, mostly because I don't have to deal with a live person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. But there's a live person standing over your shoulder, breathing down your neck, watching to make sure you scan everything. That is unless, I respectfully say, they only do that for us people of color.

      Delete
  3. Glad y'all saved the little guy and hope he goes to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea for kitty being saved! I started using the self-checkout last year when the baggers wouldn't let me use my own bags. Now I rarely do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be discounts factored into the self-checkout machines. Discounts on each and every item in lieu of salary for doing their job for them :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow, nice kitty rescue! Wonder what it was doing in there in the first place?
    I like self check-outs if I only have a couple things. Now, I'm gonna go to our Sprouts to see if they've added one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of cats getting trapped in car engines when it's cold outside and they are seeking heat, but it's already hot as hades so maybe it was scared and looking for a place to hide.

      Delete
  6. Waiting for the cat update.
    Self checkout takes twice as long as a checker and bagger. I have to hustle unloading the cart to keep up with the checker. Lines? I don't go to the store when there will be lines.
    And I've never been through a self checkout where I didn't have to call the monitor over to fix something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat update as soon as I run into the tall redhead or the nice old guy and how do you manage to go to the store when there is no line? Oh, wait, I remember, you go at midnight.

      Delete
    2. Those uncooperative store owners have messed with my system. The store closes at 11pm not instead of staying open all night. So I go around 10PM now. And sometimes during the day around 3PM which is kind of a slow time compared to the rest of the day.

      Delete
    3. "10 PM" ... still vampire hours. I was adventurous and went to the corner market 5pm yesterday, when I was certain that security guard would be gone. There was, in fact, no security personnel at all. I guess they don't think shoplifters work that late. LOL.

      Delete