Tuesday, September 21, 2021

In at 9:06 Out by 9:48

It irritates me to no end that, when I check into the Lab for blood work, the receptionists always ask, “Did your doctor order this?”

I always politely respond “yes”, but inside I’m thinking … How stupid are you? Do you think I’d be here otherwise? My doctor not only ordered it, but this time threatened to withhold my blood pressure medication if I didn’t report for duty.

The good news is, I was in and out in 42 minutes — record time, but only because I got up early, arrived close to an hour after they’d opened. Additional bonus — the Lab Technician was so good that I didn’t even feel the needle going in.

Last time I had blood drawn, arriving about 11 a.m., I found the Lab so busy that my number was hours away from being called.

I timed how long it took for the numbers to be called, figured that, at the pace the Lab Techs were going, I'd be waiting over 2 ½ hours, decided to leave, come back.

I spent the time shopping at a nearby mall.

By the time I figured my number would be coming up, I drove back, arrived with a wait of 10 more minutes.

Thinking ahead, just in case I didn’t get back before they called my number, I’d grabbed another number on the way out.

After I was done with the Lab, overhearing someone complain about what a long wait they had ahead of them, I gave them the second number I’d pulled, which cut their wait time to a few minutes.

So, anyway, Lab Work is off my bucket list, and I now know to always arrive early.

On the way out of the medical center, I heard a woman say, “I think we still have time to make it to Denny’s”.

I don’t know why I found that so funny, but she needn’t have worried because, to my understanding, Denny's serves breakfast all day, every day, 365 days a year.

Walking to the car, I spotted a fun decal.


Since I was out and about, I thought to get the car gassed up at Costco, take a stroll through Spirit Halloween, stop by the bank, pick up groceries. However, the freeway turnoff that would take me to the location, where I could accomplish all four tasks in one spot, that I’d programmed into the GPS was blocked off. Not knowing my way around otherwise, in that area, I pivoted — headed home with one stop, by a bank, where I managed to snag a few $2 bills.

Asking the teller if he had any $2 bills, he asked his manager who said, “I have 134” and she just happened to have them in her hand.

How serendipitous is that?

She’d just received a new bundle of 2’s and was counting them out.

And when I say new, I mean brand spanking new, hot off the press, which caused me to inquire as to why they were new and not old and gnarly.

"Oh, we frequently get new packs in. They’re still being printed".

"Then why do I not see them in circulation? Why are there people who’ve never seen a $2 bill?"

"That’s because people are collecting them".

Oh, the teller means people like me. LOL.

At any rate, I only bought ten because, seeing the bills in brand new shape kinda took the glamour of owning off for me.

What would be fun, if we had trick-or-treaters around here, which we don’t, it would be fun to give them a candy bar wrapped in a $2 bill.

Inasmuch as I was not able to get groceries while I was out and about, and couldn’t stop at the corner market (which would have been convenient) because … security guard, looks like I’m going to have to head out again, go to the other market in the area.

Spirit Halloween will have to wait for another day, and I’ll gas up at the corner station tomorrow.

I prefer one and done, as in one trip out, multiple errands run, but we can't always get what we want. At least not today.

14 comments:

  1. I hate having to get Labs done too, I get it done at the Base Clinic but they take anyone in Uniform ahead of every Dependent or Retiree so they could show up way after you and still get priority. If there's not a War that they have to show up at STAT, I kinda resent being 2nd Class since we Served our Time and The Man had 39 Years in, that should account for some kind of Priority, No? Anyway, are you gonna go to Spirit Store and get some Karen Buttons? *winks* I Collect $2 Bills and used to have a Hoard of them until someone stole them and I never found out who it was, suspected a Friend of the Children tho', but couldn't prove it, just banned that Child from coming over since I felt they were walking off with things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me. I was thinking of checking out the Spirit Store for Karen Buttons. LOL.

      Delete
  2. That security guard is really a problem for you. Wish I could come up with an easy solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has no idea what a problem he is, and would probably be surprised to learn I'm going out of my way to avoid him.

      Delete
  3. What get me and bite my ass is when they tell you your report time and then say show up 10 minutes early...and then Im still waiting for 45 to an hour??? Never fails. Truth be told, my doctor is HAWT. Id rather he bite my ass!!!!

    Tell the security guard you got a contagious STD he'll scram right quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had an appointment for a blood pressure check. After waiting over an hour, I walked out. They called and, yet again, threated to withhold medication if I didn't come in. Told 'em I showed up on time, you left ME waiting. No matter. Can't win with these health care folks. I opted to pretend that security guard did not exist, did not engage him in conversation, won't engage him in conversation to say STD. Doubt he'd care. Maybe I should ask my neighbor Handsome Man to go to market with me, pretend to be my husband, give security guard the evil eye. Hmmmm. Something to think about.

      Delete
  4. We can book lab appts since covid it is convenient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An appointment would be a much better system for my provider's Lab, but they'd have to stick to it, not like when I showed up for a BP check, by appointment, and was left waiting.

      Delete
  5. I go for regular bloodwork too and I find that Fridays are often a slow day at the lab. I think people are already in "weekend mode" by then and ready to put stuff off until the new week. Or it might just be coincidence, I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I have go in, I'll do a Friday so we can find out if coincidence or not.

      Delete
  6. That was clever thinking when you timed the numbers and left taking an extra one!

    Wouldn't' work to borrow a "husband" because if he saw you later alone a few times he'd think you were available again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was clever of me, LOL. I think you're right about borrowing a husband not working. After thinking about it, I'd be embarrassed to ask Handsome Guy to step in because I remembered he had rescued me previously, by having a "little talk" with a new resident, back in 2018, when that guy began stalking my area, then asking if he could go with me, in my car, when I made groceries. Of course I said no, and Handsome Guy told him to back off. If I were to ask him to save me from the security guard, he'd probably think Oh No, Not Again, and conclude I'm doing something to cause these unwanted attentions.

      Delete
  7. I have a few $2 bills too. It always surprises me when a store cashier doesn't realize that it's real money when they are given one.

    I'm happy that I can have the blood draw people come to me now and don't have to wait in a waiting room for them to get to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do the store cashiers say to you and how do you convince them the dollars are legal tender? Lucky you, getting blood draw at home. Waiting rooms are not all that much fun.

      Delete