Monday, August 30, 2021

Kale for Breakfast

Running across a recipe for a breakfast dish of kale, egg, bacon — when I wasn’t even searching for such, but thinking it a great idea, I gave it a try this morning.

A                                   B

Delicious, satisfying, but which photo do you think is the one from the recipe, which breakfast salad is the one I made? 

Two more days before I’m Back in the Pain Cave — today and tomorrow, and I’m making the most of these days.

First errand of the day was to the mall, where I returned a pair of leggings that were not what I’d expected them to be, lucked up on a pair that suited me better — even though the last thing I need to add to my wardrobe are more leggings.

At any rate, pulling up to curbside parking, I gathered my quarters for the meter, walked up to the meter, but couldn’t find the coin slot. Took me a second to realize coins are out, credit cards are in.


I’ve never seen such a thing before. Have you?

I wasn’t about to risk my credit card, so I did a U-turn and parked in the free lot, in front of the Halloween store.

Walking past the Halloween store, I caught movement out the corner of my eye, looked over and ....


Scared the bejesus out of me, but honestly … if I lived in a house, I’d put it on the porch as a surprise for trick-or-treaters. Maybe put the candy in a bucket in front of creepy guy, to see who's brave enough to go for it.

The next window was a desk with books. Curious to know what ghosts and goblins read, I was trying to read the book titles when GASP!


Do you see it? (You may have to click twice to get the two above videos to play)

Moving on to take care of what I’d come to do — return an item, the young woman at the desk opened the packet, informed me I was at the wrong store.

Of course, the correct store was in a different mall, so off I drive a few miles to the indoor mall — where I made the return, saw the leggings that suited me better, bought those then, inasmuch as I was indoors, where it was cool, decided to test out my walking legs.

Discovered my waking legs are in poor shape.

Having not trained in over a year has had an impact.

After about a mile and a half, my knees began to hurt and my legs felt wobbly, which tells me it was probably a good idea that, over the weekend, I came to the conclusion the hotel stay in Redondo Beach, in order to participate in a 5K, was not a good idea. I cancelled the hotel, ate the 5K registration fee and opted not to register for the virtual.

When the weather cools down, I may have to risk the crazies and get back to walking the neighborhood, and the University grounds, to get my walking legs back.

If all goes as planned, tomorrow’s errand is the Jeep’s annual service — the third annual service since purchasing in February of 2018, with only 12,000 miles to date — which breaks down to about 4,000 miles a year.

I need to get out more often, but don’t want to.

Also, over the weekend, I finally caught a glimpse of the new neighbor that moved across the quad into Sue’s old unit.

It’s been seventy-five days since she moved in, and though I never caught sight of her until Saturday, I figured we had something in common when I saw she’d decorated the ledge of her patio with two wooden Thai figurines similar to the two I inherited from the Pain Cave, when Trainer’s partner sold the business.

Similar to these two

It wasn’t a good idea to place those figurines on the ledge, because it was just a matter of time before the wind blew them off and away, not to mention we’re not allowed to place items on the ledge, but I figured she’d learn the hard way.

I didn’t get around to taking a photo of the figurines on the ledge, because I didn’t think it important at the time; but now, since the figurines disappeared shortly after management performed our annual inspection on Wednesday, I wish I had. The guys probably advised her against the placement.

At any rate, coming back from Sprouts on Saturday, I saw a resident I’d not seen before get out of a car with a little girl and a man. I assumed the man was the resident’s son, the child her granddaughter.

The woman gave me a shy waive, as though she knew me.

From her vantage view, she’s probably seen me coming/going while I’d not set sight on her.

I waived back and, when the trio began walking towards my walkway, I figured that was the illusive new neighbor.

By the time I’d grabbed my items from the car and headed up the walkway, the trio was up the stairs, going into Sue’s old unit.

Definitely the new neighbor.

Can’t wait to catch her outside, introduce myself, ask her about her figurines, show her a photo of mine.

So while the world is falling apart, chaos all around, with The End feeling Nearer every second, I’ve been fortunate to thus far be experiencing business as usual.

18 comments:

  1. Not that I had a problem, but I found out my dentist doesn't take cash anymore. Check or charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where cash might be considered dirty/germy, but not so much coins.

      Delete
  2. Morning, breakfast looks delicious- I'll go for plate B as yours.

    Loads of the parking lots are having card machines installed now. I actually don't mind them as it saves hunting for cash! What's really annoying is that private companies are now running the 'free' parking lots at shops and only allow 2-3 hours parking. They all have licence plate recognition cameras and if you're not wise you end up with a £70 ticket in the mail.

    Be interesting to final meet your new neighbours. Hopefully she'll turn out to be a good one!

    Have a good day. Viv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are. #B it is. I'm guessing my preference of large chunks of egg gave me away. LOL. Only allowing 2-3 hours parking at a mall seems counterproductive. They need people to hang around, spend money.

      Delete
  3. I was guessing Kale B as yours because it wasn't arranged symmetrically :-) However it's arranged it sounds like a lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to work on my symmetries, lol.

      Delete
  4. I noticed a lot of places locally will only accept credit or debit cards now. When we started a bank account for my daughter, the teller told us very few people even ask for checks anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me nervous, since it gives crooks more opportunities to get into our accounts, which is why I opted out of those meters.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it a bit early for stores to be starting on Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween started weeks ago and is quickly being pushed out by Christmas stuff. Go figure.

      Delete
  6. I'm guessing your salad is "B". Both look delish! I don't often park at meters, but I have seen the credit card ones.
    I hope you get a proper intro to your new neighbor soon. She needs a blog name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B is correct and I'm going to have to up my game to get my plating to look professional :-) Neighbor seems shy, so may be another 75 days before I see her again.

      Delete
  7. If I lived in a house I would be putting all sots of stuff out to scare the trick or treaters. lol My daughter is already wanting to decorate our apartment.

    I think A is from the recipe and B is what you made. I had sauted kale for the first time last year and I really liked it. I don't like it raw though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Halloween, I'm putting out my usual candy corn doormat, matching wreath and, because the Activity Director just announced a Decoration Contest, adding candy corn lights to the patio. B is correct and I've never had sautéed kale per se. I've added it to other meals, and as a pizza toping, so I guess that's cooked, but I prefer raw, massaged with olive oil. Do you get trick or treaters in that area? We don't.

      Delete
  8. Your breakfast dish looks a lot better than my tiramisu did, LOL! That Halloween ghoul would scare the bejesus right out of me if it popped up while I was on your porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even though I didn't fool anyone ... everyone guessed correctly that B was my dish, your tiramisu did take the cake. LOL.

      Delete
  9. The car wash I go to has added the credit card option. Only people that go to the washateria have change anymore, I think. The problem with the credit card is that it will let you keep washing and rinsing your car to your hearts content instead of turning off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new car wash is going up in the area. Hope it's not a credit card one. I just don't trust machines that ask for credit cards because crooks keep finding ways to hack. I stopped using the card at the gas station years ago, because of that. And I'm careful which ATMs I use because of a contraption crooks put on some ATMs to collect pin numbers.

      Delete