Monday, August 9, 2021

Body Language

I woke up this morning to double yolks in my eggs which, according to mysticism, is a symbol of good luck.

Thing is, research tells me chances of coming across an egg with double yolks are around 1 in 1000, so imagine my surprise, because I’d experienced that same luck three weeks ago, when I cracked an egg for breakfast and out came double yolks.

Twin 2 told me to buy lottery tickets but, comfortable inside, I didn’t venture out to do so.

Given a second chance at luck this morning, this time I did pop into the liquor store, after working out, bought two $5 scratch-offs.

Then, I drove across the street, but not to the market.

Your girl has been doing a good job of staying away from the corner market where resides the security guard, who she’s sure is coming onto her, gives her the heebie jeebies.

The market in the other direction has all I need, except for Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey ice cream. For some reason, they just don’t carry many of the B&J flavors altogether, but not a problem, thought I, because the corner drugstore, also with a limited selection, does carry Chunky Monkey.

So, completely out of Chunky Monkey, the only ice cream my sensitive stomach will tolerate, I popped into the drugstore only to find not only no Chunky Monkey, but no refrigerated ice creams period, because the section was out-of-order due to a refrigeration problem.

What to do?

This was supposed to be my double yolk lucky day, but the Universe appeared to be working against me OR leading me.

Did my desire for Chunky Monkey outweigh my desire not to be looked at by that security guard?

Why yes, yes it did.

Driving to that side of the shopping center, I saw him standing outside, far enough away from the entrance that I surmised I could slip in without crossing his path.

Getting out of the car, walking towards the doors of the market, I saw he’d spotted me and, I kid you not, he left his outside post and quickly walked inside.

When I walked inside, he was leaning against a structure, trying to look all cool, like he’d not just rushed in to strike that pose, LOL.

I had my phone in my hand and pretended to be intently focused on something on the phone so I’d not have to look up at him or engage.

I hear him give me a cheery, “Good afternoon”, but pretended not to hear because I was engaged in what was supposedly on my phone as I rush by him.

THEN, to get my attention, he says, “That mask is blinging”.

Oh for Christ sake! It’s the same mask he’s seen every time I've popped in after a workout, but this time he just had to comment on it.

Can he not read body language?

My body was clearly saying, “Leave me alone. Don’t look at me. Don’t talk to me.”

I still didn’t look up from my phone. Instead, I signaled a thumbs up and kept on steppin.

The plan for getting out of the market was, after picking up the ice cream, to once again pretend to be engaged in something on my phone, but he wasn’t at the door, nor was he outside. He’d thankfully disappeared.

So, seat belting myself in the car, I look up and see his big gray truck parked under a tree. I know it’s his, because that last time, when I saw him on the lot and, when the coast was clear, did my grocery shopping, I’d seen him get in that truck.

So, anyway, seeing his truck in my line of vision, the windows of which are darkly tinted, it suddenly crossed my mind he’d disappeared from the market because he was in the truck …. watching. But just as quickly as the thought crossed my mind, I dismissed it thinking it a ridiculous thought, that I was just being paranoid.

Maybe ridiculous, maybe not. Certainly no more ridiculous than his rushing back inside the market to pose his body to say, "Look how cool and alluring I am". LOL.

Well, maybe I am being a bit paranoid because, when road construction prevented me from turning into the complex driveway, I had to pass the complex, make a quick turn into and around in a side roadway, then wait until I could get across traffic, drive back to the complex driveway.

I didn’t think anything of it when a big gray truck made a quick turn into and around that same roadway, stopping just behind me. I didn’t think anything of it until, after I crossed traffic, got to and turned into the complex driveway, I saw that same big gray truck had turn when I turned, drove same direction as I, but passed the complex driving in the direction of the market.

Did he follow me from the market?, thought I.

No, it wasn’t he. I checked the footage on the Drive App, saw it was a different big gray truck.

So maybe just a tad paranoid.

At any rate, at least I’ve got the freezer stocked with four pints of Chunky Monkey — all the market had in stock. That should take me into the next two weeks, long enough for the drugstore to sort out its refrigeration situation.

If you’re wondering how lucky those lottery tickets were …. they weren’t, but all is not lost as both have been entered into the lottery’s Second Chance drawing.

To top it off, though the Tyrant got rid of all the cats, new cats are finding their way here, just as I figured. Heading back to my unit, I came across one, a Black Cat, as it crossed my path.


Some lucky day this turned out NOT to be.

I don’t want to see any more supposedly lucky eggs.

Maybe I tossed the luck away, when I scraped the egg out of the pan, tossed it in the trash, because I saw what looked like blood and couldn’t eat, what I felt to be, an almost baby chick.

14 comments:

  1. There's a fine line between paranoid and extremely careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely Careful is a good way of looking at it.

      Delete
  2. It is creepy when someone is intentionally trying to connect and can't cue in on disinterest and avoidance enough to just cease and desist, it borders on being stalker material. Sometimes it's just creepy because the individual is just giving off a creepy vibe even if they're not necessarily doing or saying anything creepy. At any rate, it's a pity you have to avoid the market because of him and I wonder how many other Women might as well if he's inclined to be that way? Not good for business. It reminds me of the Convenience Stores around here {particularly QT's} that allow too many Street People to congregate around their business who aren't customers but who harass or run off real customers, not good for business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about complaining to management about his being overly friendly/flirtatious towards me, but don't want to be a Black Karen. LOL. Avoidance is my first line of defense.

      Delete
  3. He certainly sounds creepy to me. I wonder if you could find a time to shop there when he is not working, he can't work all the time! Some people just can't take a hint, can they?
    A restaurant where we lived in IL served double yolk eggs in every order. Apparently they came from one particular source. We loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my original plan, to shop late in the day when his shift was over. But rather than change my shopping hours, more convenient to change where I shop. That's weird about a double egg source. Wonder how they can assure they're two inside.

      Delete
    2. I have no idea, it was not mentioned in the menu but always happened. Your order would be two eggs and you got four, but they were smaller, so in an omelette or scrambled eggs it would not be obvious. It was great amusement for children- a double yolker!

      Delete
    3. Curious, I looked it up. TripAdvisor, in 2015, made mention of a restaurant in Maine that served "many double yolks". Another site says “Chickens that are first put into a chicken house are more likely to lay double-yolkers". Who knew.

      Delete
  4. The last time I did a scratch off, I won $250! It was the only time a ever did them. A friend of mine said who should play the lottery. You'd be the person who never plays and then win the big $650,ooo,ooo! Maybe I should. I'd share it with all too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once put a $1 losing ticket in the Second Chance pot, won $15,000. But it took me just about 15 years for that win, LOL. I hope I'm on your sharing list when you become a billionaire :-)

      Delete
  5. The Irish consider black cats to be lucky, not unlucky, and in Japan they're considered symbols of prosperity.
    Maybe the black kitty was just trying to help you with that second chance drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazing and restore my faith in double yolks.

      Delete
  6. Seeing that gray truck behind me would certainly have made me nervous. Glad it wasn't him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on guard now every time I see a big gray truck. LOL.

      Delete