Saturday, August 14, 2021

Field of Dreams

Because of the drought, grass here at the senior complex is dying. It’s not unusual to see small patches of brown spots appearing and, on the grassy knoll, there is one huge patch of brown …. or at least there was.

Returning to my unit one day last week, I noticed there was something different about the grassy knoll. Couldn’t put my finger on it but, once back upstairs, I went to my bedroom window, which gives me the best view, looked out and noticed the brown patch was gone. Had mysteriously disappeared. 

Before

After

How is that possible? thought I. Did they paint it? Can grass be painted?

Evidently yes, grass can be painted because, heading out to run a quick errand today, I saw a landscaper on the knoll doing just that … painting the grass.


Quite a clever hack.

Speaking of grass, I’ve been hearing so much about some kind of baseball game where Kevin Costner reenacted Field of Dreams.

Wanting to see what the hubbub was all about, I looked it up on YouTube and though some said Costner’s coming through the corn, walking onto the field, looking around, and then baseball players coming through the corn was cheesy, I found it touching, emotional. Especially when some of the players walked over to Costner, shook his hand (even though we’re not supposed to be doing that in his pandemic age — shake hands).

Of course, with no interest in baseball, I stopped watching after someone said “Play ball”.

Speaking of hacks, I spent majority of the day trying out that tile cleaning hack given me by the Dermatologist’s assistant (nurse?) of using Clorox Blue Toilet Bowl Gel.

Turned out to be just another fail in a long line of fails I’ve tried over the years to get the tiles looking spot free, brand spanking new.

That business of her telling me there was no scrubbing, turned out to not be the case. I did see some little difference once I applied the usual elbow grease, but I wasn’t about to wear myself out vigorously scrubbing tile all day/half the night — been there done that.

Instead, I pulled out the steam cleaner, which has a scrubbing attachment.

Still, at the end of the day, this hack — just like all of the many products I’ve tried over the years to get into the creases/crevices of tile, didn’t work any better than anything else.

Oh well. Maybe the tile is not as pretty as I would like, but definitely clean. Plus, on a non-workout day I logged in 4,665 steps, burned 1,350 calories.

It's a win/win.

23 comments:

  1. So I said to myself, I wonder if that is special grass paint. Of course it is. Home Depot. $37 for 1000 sq ft. Lasts 2 months. And you can get mulch paint too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since painting the grass is possible, they should try something more colorful than boring green :-)

      Delete
  2. Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend? You would have to be very careful to try a small area first to make sure it didn't scratch it, but I've had success with a lot of things using it. Straight up vinegar left for an hour or so, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about the only thing I've not tried, but first I'll try vinegar on the troubling spots. Won't be for a while, but will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I believe Bon Ami is even better ( never scratches) maybe Bon Ami mixed with vinegar would be a winner? I shall try today! Tile is the bane of my life.

      Delete
    3. It's beginning to look like the magic elixir is adding vinegar to products. That's about the only hack I haven't tried and now anxious to try, I may be tackling tiles again sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  3. When they start painting leaves and flowers, I'd be worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That made me think of The Truman Show, when the sun, moon, stars, sky, were paint.

      Delete
  4. They can paint the grass all they want, but soon enough the roots will show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably what the lone landscaper was about. Giving the grass a touchup to keep the roots from showing.

      Delete
  5. Also try a combination of vinegar with Dawn. Leave it on for a while then scrub off.

    I last read about painting grass when watching an HGTV program about selling houses! Our lawn is now straw and will stay that way until nature takes over! We water only the plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used vinegar with Dawn to clean the patio windows in the past. Thanks for reminding me, because it's time for that as well. So, painting grass is nothing new. Interesting. I wonder how safe that is for children who visit here and play around in the grass.

      Delete
  6. Expending calories while doing housework is why our ancestors didn't have to go to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I've seen grass being painted too. Kinda crazy. I don't have tile so I don't have any tips or tricks for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting grass is new to me. Just goes to show, even after I think I've seen it all, there's always something new.

      Delete
    2. And ain't that the truth for all of us!

      Delete
  8. Grass painting is a whoot. I haven't actually seen it done but I've heard of it. Btw, I just finished reading Blood Grove by Walter Mosley. Most of the time I listen to his books on audio and there have been some great narrators but this wasn't available so I went old school. I really enjoy his work. His sentence structure is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mosley's books keep me on the edge of my seat. I never see what's coming next or, unlike other books, figure out the ending before the end. "The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey" is being made into a movie starring Samuel L. Jackson. Can't wait.

      Delete
  9. It might not be Paint, it might be this new thing they have that has seed in a sort of green gel that bonds to the Soil and I've seen advertised that many Pro Landscapers now use. It prevents the Seed washing away or being eaten by Birds while it's taking and then growing in to keep Landscaping looking lovely all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll ask which he's using next time I see that landscaper.

      Delete