Thursday, April 29, 2021

In The News

Feeling more myself yesterday and today. Probably due to all the antioxidants and vitamins in the kale I’ve been eating.

As much as I love kale, no matter how many others hate it ─ to keep the rise in energy going, I’m even adding sprigs to the turkey chili cooking in the instant pot. However, I'm drawing the line at a recipe I ran across this morning ─ kale cake with blueberry frosting ... but only because it contains flour and apples, which would set off a gut episode. LOL.


I imagine that, by now, you’ve either read or heard about the 19-year old, on Tik Toc, who chronicles how she “mistakenly” moved into a senior living facility.


From what I’m reading, none of the age 65 and over residents seem to mind the girl, Madi Ann, living there; and Madi Ann feels like she’s hit the jackpot, in that her rent is only $350 a month (it’s Arkansas), neighbors have been feting her with homemade meals, and she can play her music as loud as she wants because, as Madi Ann puts it, “Most of my neighbors can’t hear”.

I’m trying to figure out how “mistakenly” happened and wondering, from what I’ve seen around here lately, if we’re going in that direction ─ no “mistakenly” about it.

Madi Ann says she never saw the place, as the rental was handled online, but there must have been someone on the other end ─ someone screening the applicant and application, approving the lease.

I just find the whole “mistakenly” interesting.

There was no mistake about it when my now downstairs neighbor, Illusive Unfriendly, moved in back in 2017 ─ after the unit became vacant when my then downstairs neighbor, Gina, relocated to a new senior complex in Fontana.

It was obvious Illusive Unfriendly was nowhere near the qualified age of 55 and over, which prompted some residents (not me, because I didn’t care) to question management as to whether this was still a senior community.

Management’s reply was a whole lot of double talk ─ yes to 55 and over HOWEVER ... and here the double talk lost me and I couldn’t tell you how management rationalized it except, “under certain circumstances” age 49 is allowed.

"Certain circumstances" were never explained, but I speculated that a new complex in Fontana had syphoned off seniors who’d been languishing on the waiting list, and some already unhappily living here ... like Gina. Having run out of seniors, and units to be filled, I speculated management solved its problem by relaxing the age limit.

Gina was good with all us neighbors, but didn’t like management. Management returned the feeling, with maintenance once telling Gina “You complain too much”. LOL

At any rate, Illusive Unfriendly has not been a great addition to the quad and, unlike Madi Ann, Illusive Unfriendly wasn’t feted with any homemade meals from us ─ her choice, because she wanted nothing to do with us. Wouldn’t speak to any of us, wouldn’t even look us in the eye, rebuffing my attempt at introducing myself/welcoming her to the quad by yelling “I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE!”, then constantly complaining to management that I was disturbing her peace, waking her up at 3:30 a.m. with my bouncing a ball ─ which turned about to be the laundry room washer/dryer being used at an ungodly hour.

So not a good addition. Though lately, Illusive Unfriendly seems a little better ─ since hooking up with Big Friendly Guy, to the point where she actually said “Hello” to me as we passed in the quad last month.

And yes ... it’s been noted that she says “I don’t like people”, but she appears to not include men as people, because she doesn’t have a problem with them going in/out her unit ─ appearing now to be exclusive with Big Friendly Guy.

Whatever.

Lately, I’m seeing what looks to be more “certain circumstances” on the complex ─ residents who do not look to meet the age requirement, including the cute but short guy I saw at the mail center the other day.

Oddly enough, I not too long ago received an email from the new Day Creek Senior Villas, in Rancho Cucamonga ─ the community I had looked into, but was unable to accept a unit because I’m over income for that complex. The email said that all 140 units have been filled.

That 140 must have syphoned off our waiting list, leaving management, once again, with no available seniors to fill units recently vacated due to residents dying, residents moving, evictions.

It's a pattern ... a new complex syphons seniors off the waiting list, management relaxes the age limit.

It’s turned out so well for Madi Ann that she’s encouraging “If you're struggling with rent, start your early retirement”, i.e., move into a senior community.

I waited my turn to age into an affordable situation, so I don’t know about others jumping the line because they're struggling or because management needs to fill a vacant unit.

7 comments:

  1. WTF? when I was 19, I didn't want to be around anyone over 30 (except my maternal grandparents). something smells there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only $350 a month, and two bedrooms, is an incredible tradeoff for living with old people.

      Delete
  2. LOL. At her age I wouldn't want to live with a bunch of seniors, either, but she's doing what works for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I loved kale. I don't. I just don't. When we first moved to MD, I saw a sign: "Pick your own kale." Strawberries, maybe. Kale, no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pat timer cut my hair a few weeks ago, she was telling me that she lives with her husband in a low income apartment which is right downtown and has a lovely bay view. Somehow they keep their income just at a low enough amount to keep living there. What a deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who can get into a low-income unit that's nice, not a dive, is lucky. But leave the senior communities to seniors.

      Delete
    2. Yes! This gal is not a senior. She does appreciate the unit they have.
      I did, of course , mean to write that she is a part timer!

      Delete