Thursday, April 15, 2021

If At First You Don't Succeed

So, after the last mailroom break-in, management solved the problem of the dime-store handle, which was so easily hacked last weekend, by installing what looks like a duplicate dime-store handle.

Only this time, they’ve put up some sort of iron barrier behind it.

Inside View

I can’t even speculate as to how this is to prevent entry, once the outer door handle is hacked again ─ maybe the perp can't reach in or stick something in to manipulate the unlocking mechanism, but time will tell.

Speaking of firsts ... back in December, going through books stored in the outdoor storage area, I found a book I’d had for more years than I could remember. Realizing that, though I’d had it for years, I’d not read it ─ for whatever reason, I removed the book from storage and put it on the nightstand in the I’ll get around to it pile.

I finished Walter Mosley’s Blood Grove the other night (which, by the way was such a wild ride that, when I got to the end ... feeling exhausted because I felt like I was going through the experiences with him, I closed the book, took a deep breath and heard myself say to myself “That was stressful”), but well worth the read.

Last night I got started on the book I’d pulled out of storage.


How long have I had that book you ask?

Looking at the publication date of 1995, I've held onto the book for years.

It appears to be a First Edition, purchase price, back in the day, of $10.95.

Thinking it might be another found treasure, like the autographed copy of Louise Huebner I’d held onto, I did a little research and found used editions now going in the range of $60 to $120, which is meh.

This book isn’t autographed. One of my Walter Mosley books is autographed, but I’ve never had an opportunity to meet Ru.

Twin 1 did ... met Ru that is, back in June of 2019, when Twin 1 had an appearance on the set of Good Day LA to discuss her work with the homeless on Skid Row.


I’m thinking, an autograph might bump the book up a hundred or so. However, there was one seller offering a “collectible” for $4,748!

I’m not exactly sure what a “collectible” is, but good luck with that because ─ even with an autograph, that’s excessive for a used paperback with black and white photos.

8 comments:

  1. I've got an "I’ll get around to it" house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE RUPAUL! she looks better in a dress than I do. WERK IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to stop buying books, except for Kindle. I impulsively bought a Kindle and am all thumbs with it. However, it will help me keep hardbacks and other books out of the house, lightening the load for our kids once we're gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd enjoy reading, as much as I do, in anything other than book form. There's just something about a book that, at one time in life, when money was tight, I chose a book over eating a proper meal. Opting instead to buy the book and live on the free donuts at work for a few days. LOL.

      Delete
    2. I think that is remarkable and also wonderful for you to love books that much!
      We have had fun since Covid giving and taking books from Little Libraries.

      Delete
    3. Books were my escape, as a child and a lot of what my mom should have taught me about life, but didn't, I learned from books. P.S. Those cards were interesting.

      Delete