Monday, November 16, 2020

Whatdoyaknow

Watching an episode of Dateline on Sunday, an episode I’d recorded earlier in the week, I looked away from the screen when a Honda commercial popped up.

THEN, hearing a voice that sounded familiar, I looked up and whatdoyaknow ......... it was Twin 1


Sitting in that infamous throne-like chair no less.

"Infamous" because the chair was the prized possession of my ex-husband — the girls’ dad.

The throne-like appearance of the chair really epitomizes how their dad viewed himself ... his personality.

During a period when I was struggling to provide for his daughters, a period when finances were so tight that we were living on pinto beans and hot water cornbread, no meat in the beans because I couldn’t afford meat, their dad made a point to tell the girls during one of their visits, knowing they'd tell me, that he was spending $5,000 on having this chair, his throne, refurbished.

He was so proud of that chair that he’d probably would have liked to be buried in it.

That didn’t happen, so the girls’ stepmom (Wife No. 4) gave the girls the throne when he died and, it’s been going back/forth between the girls ever since.

Last few years, Twin 1 seems to have taken permanent possession.

When visiting, I make a point to taunt their dad by planting my butt on his throne. I get such a kick out of imagining my doing so is probably causing him to roll over in his grave.

During one such visit, I think the girls’ dad got so riled up that he not only roll over in his grave, but jumped out of it and made his presence/displeasure known because, sitting on his throne, I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my lower back, which pain lasted a while, but didn’t encourage me to get up.

LOL.

Me on His Throne, Thanksgiving 2018

7 comments:

  1. Twin#1 is getting really famous! That's a nice, happy photo of you on the throne.
    This Thanksgiving will be very different but I know you will enjoy it quietly in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. She's become quite the "influencer". But my hair is turning grey with worrying that one of those skid row people, she's trying to help, will turn and one day harm her. "No good deed goes unpunished".

      Delete
  2. Well, he sounds like a piece of work.
    I hope Twin # 1 stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a rascal alright. But I credit him with being the catalyst that's caused me to be the strong independent woman I am today.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame you can't turn it into the throne in the powder room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They girls would expect me to do something weird like that with the chair, which is why they won't give me a turn possessing it. LOL.

      Delete
  4. That Twin 1 is something. Love the picture in the chair.

    ReplyDelete