Monday, November 30, 2020

Mandatory Monday

Today began our mandatory stay at home and, though I can’t speak to what’s happening outside the area, around here it was business as usual.

I thought the market might change its hours — close earlier than the normal 11 p.m., but no such notice was posted when I stopped in.

Why close at such a late hour?

Who goes grocery shopping at night anyway?

After the governor violated the Covid restrictions he’d imposed on us — by attending a birthday party for one of his political advisers at The French Laundry, he’s viewed as somewhat of a joke. So, I don’t imagine this mandatory stay at home — until December 20, is going to carry very much weight.

The governor’s mea culpa apology actually did more harm than good.  He labeled attending the birthday party as a “bad mistake” and justified breaking the rules, that he’s been preaching to slow the spread of the coronavirus, as because the party was for a close friend, someone he’s known for 20 years.

That irked me a bit because I did not attend my granddaughter’s wedding, and I’ve known her for 25 years — 5 years longer than he’s known that close friend of his.

So, anyway, that’s a politician for you, but I do wonder why he didn’t think his attendance through. Did he not realize the public would find out and there’d be all this backlash?

I’m taking my own counsel. Doing what I know is best for me notwithstanding anyone’s rules.

Sunday’s episode of Holiday Wars was a lot less drama filled than last week's episode, in that the judges made an effort to not show their dislike for each other.

That whiny crybaby cake artist also made an effort to not be such a drama queen. He apologized to the host for previously being a “blubbering mess”, but then went in the opposite direction. Instead of blubbering, wanting to prove to us viewers that he could be a he-man, he started an argument with the head of his team, telling her off for yelling at him (she wasn’t).

He didn’t walk off the show, he didn’t cry, he acted like he felt he’d proven a point (he didn’t) and the show went on, with his team coming in on the bottom because the drama resulted in lack of cohesion in the team’s cake structure.

Watching a rerun of last week’s episode, reminded me of something I'd learned about a coffee known as Kopi Luwak ..... one of the world's most expensive coffee.

Teams had been tasked with providing the judges with a caffeinated treat.

One team provided chocolate bon bons made with mushrooms and pooped out coffee.

That's right .... pooped out coffee.

One of the judges explained the coffee making process as "A cute little ferret eats the coffee bean and, as its digesting, ferments it in its body, poops it out and it’s considered a delicacy that’s fully coveted throughout the world”.

The two judges, seemed to enjoy the treat.

Host Rayven, not so much. Just knowing where the coffee came from gave her a face, as she popped the bon bon in her mouth.


Some people will eat anything, and isn't some unknown someone eating something not meant for human consumption the cause of the virus that's gotten us into this pandemic mess? That is, if we are to believe the story about the bat and not the story about a virus being created in a lab.

At any rate, I do love coffee, but they couldn’t pay me to try Kopi Luwak, no matter how much sugar and caramel you disguise what it is with.

11 comments:

  1. Just when you think you've heard it all, someone does something really stoopid to mess with coffee. Ewwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwwww is right. I'll stick with Starbucks.

      Delete
    2. I can't resist... what if someone gave all Three of us some of that Shit Coffee unawares, didn't tell us it's 'Process' and we absolutely LOVED it... and then they dropped the bombshell? Could we... would we... Green Eggs and Ham... *winks*

      Delete
    3. If I found out afterwards, it would probably mess with my head until I threw up. And then I'd begin planning my revenge on the trickster.

      Delete
  2. "Who goes grocery shopping at night anyway?"
    Me! It made me mad when my grocery store cut back their hours from midnight to 10:00 PM. I like to be in the store when no one else is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make that he and I are the Two... living in a Desert... and now with Pandemic too... it's just easier to go at Crazy Vampire Hours to do essential shopping... cooler and no people.

      Delete
  3. LOVE the festive header photo! NO F-ING WAY would I eat/drink that coffee! and yeah, your gov sure stepped in a YUGE cow pie with his blatant rule-flaunting! you keep on being safe, shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew about the Shit Coffee, but had missed that Episode. The Halloween Wars is more interesting to me than the Christmas Wars... but I have caught a few Episodes when I even remember it's on. I'm always amazed at the Talent many of these individuals possess in their Art Form of Culinary Genius... it's risen to a whole new level, hasn't it? Sometimes I think I'd like to try some of what they've explained so that I could Judge for myself who should win the Taste Test... tho' Taste Testing is so subjective really, even if expert Judges are involved. How could you NOT be biased if given something you just don't LIKE the taste of, as a personal preference, really? As for an enforced Stay At Home Order, if those making it mandatory don't even comply how can they be taken Seriously? I'm glad it's working for you and business as usual... it would mostly be for us too. We probably mandate more restrictions on ourselves than anyone else ever would or could... I'm not a Fan of Dying Horribly! *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very unique and fun Christmas display. Very Western!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but not mine btw. I purchase my headers from iStock. I've got a collection I've acquired over the years and, when I remember to do so, change the header to fit the season.

      Delete