Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving .... Tomorrow


Thought I’d better get tomorrow's post in now, because a notice was just posted to our doors that “Due to High Winds, Possible Power Shutoff Thursday 11/26/20".

Are they serious?

On Thanksgiving Day?

When people are cooking and having people over?

Not me, of course, but plenty others are.

Timing couldn't be worse, but nothing to do except go with the flow.

So, some time tomorrow, power most likely will be cut, leaving me without a laptop to post to my blog, read blogs of others and with no television.

Last time the power company shut us down, I had daylight so I could at least work on that needlepoint, and I had a little neck light so I could read for a bit but, after daylight turned to evening, I just sat on the couch, in pitch black darkness, meditating until bedtime. Dinner had been leftover cold potato salad.

The day after, Trainer had asked what I’d done during the blackout and, when I said I'd been left in the dark, asked “Didn’t you have candles?”

The answer was no, because I’d not even thought of candles.

In the interim, however, figuring the power company would strike again, I invested in a little power station that will allow me to make coffee and use the crock pot for hot meals tomorrow.

I also invested in candles.

 

Tiger Joe, Keanu "John Wick" Reeves, Snoop, The Obamas

 Going to be a quiet day without the television, but I’m otherwise prepared.

15 comments:

  1. Because you are prepared, you will have plenty of electricity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now 1:00 in the afternoon Thanksgiving Day. The wind is indeed up, but power still on ... so far.

      Delete
  2. Love the candles. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, the power will stay on and I can keep the candles as decor. If not, Tiger King goes first. LOL.

      Delete
  3. my likey the snoop and obama candles! have a good day, shirley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. So much so that it will pain me to have to use them as anything other than decorative.

      Delete
  4. Maybe the winds won't be too strong. It was windy here on Wednesday, but calm Thanksgiving morning. Hopefully you have your phone charged with a backup charger? I use my phone as my computer on days like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The winds are VERY strong, but so far so good. Power still on. P.S. Did you see my comment about not being able to post on your blog. Can't figure out why as never had a problem before.

      Delete
    2. I have no idea why WordPress won't let you post a comment. My new computer won't allow me to post to any blog that doesn't have a https address, but that is not a problem with your blog. I've been using the old computer to post on blogger blogs that aren't https.

      Delete
    3. Oh well, the problem came out of nowhere and will probably one day just as mysteriously clear itself up.

      Delete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, so glad you are prepared. Those candles look as if they will last for a long time.
    I agree with Mage!
    I like the idea of a quiet Thanksgiving this year. I usually make 'phone calls to those I know will be alone. I already called England and Canada this morning. The phones will work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard from anyone in the family. But I'm perfectly okay with it. Better than okay cause I don't like talking on the phone. Would rather text/email.

      Delete
  6. I am the exact opposite, have no clue how to text but like 'phone calls as you can hear the voices and gauge the mood! I do e mail a lot as well plus I have a calling card so I can call the U.K. for something like 3c a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so hope you had power all day. We did messenger as one of my daughters only has a phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I did. But the threat continues as the winds continue and power company is taking it day by day. My friend The Archeologist, a mile or two over, had her power cut today ... day after Thanksgiving. I think this being a senior complex, we should be exempt from these blackouts altogether.

      Delete