Thursday, November 12, 2020

Fortuitous Fail

I’d made a batch of turkey chili a few days ago, and froze the results.

Also found in the refrigerator, when I was scrounging around for dinner last night was, as near as I could get to potato salad without mayo ─ which I don’t like, and pickles ─ which my gut doesn’t like, and also without Dijon mustard ─ also which my gut cannot tolerate. It was basically potatoes, olive oil, ground mustard spice and a chopped up boiled egg.

At any rate, putting the chili on the bottom of a cast iron skillet, potatoes on top, sticking it in the oven, I’d hoped to come out with a Shepherd’s Pie.

I didn’t.

Instead, it was a dry mixture of potatoes and chili, which looked like canned dog food, and tasted a lot like corned beef hash ─ which I luv, but can no longer have.

Thinking I’d failed my way into a mock corned beef hash recipe, I saved half for this morning’s breakfast.

It was DELICIOUS, topped with a fried egg.

A failure I’ll have to repeat next time I have a craving for corned beef hash.

On another note, I’ve been thinking about this for a while ─ long before I posted a comment on Dawn’s page this morning about interpreting an Old Lady she’d encountered not as sweet, but as devious, manipulative ... thinking for a while that, due to life experiences, I’ve become so jaded.

I do not look out through rose colored glasses. Nor do I look out through smut colored glasses. Instead, I look out through Three D’s, taking nothing for granted, stripping away the surface of everything and looking deep.

It’s not a bad thing. It’s an it is what it is thing, but I find more and more that my jadedness has carried over into the world of fantasy. I see danger in commercials others find heartwarming.

Case in point is Hobby Lobby’s newest commercial.


Nice, you probably think. Sweet that this old couple brought two young people together.

What I see is danger, danger.

That old couple don’t know that guy. He could be stone cold crazy wrapped up in a pretty package. And yes, so could the girl also be.

And then there’s this commerical.



My jadedness really comes up with this one, because I observed the child's dad did not go outside, stand at the bottom of the steps to make sure his daughter was safe.

Who is this Mr. Charles guy?

He’s obviously not a relative, not her granddad, because she referred to him as “Mr”.

He could have been some wacko neighbor who dragged her inside and harmed her in some manner so fast that her dad would not have realized she'd not returned until too late.

Don’t laugh.

It happens.

In fact, this particular commercial brought up a long buried memory of the Watch Commander at one of my early places of employment.

His teen daughter was going door-to-door, by herself, selling Girl Scout cookies.

A young man, at one of the doors she knocked on, dragged her inside and raped her.

It was back in the 60’s and, as far as I recall, he was some drugged-out druggie, quickly apprehended and put on trial.

The victim's dad ─ the Watch Commander, was so distraught that he smuggled a gun into the courtroom and shot the druggie dead.

Watch Commander had lots of support from inside the department, and from the general public for his actions. In fact, even druggie’s mom said her son got what he deserved.

My philosophy is that death is too easy. It's the living that's hard.

The guy was gone, he wouldn't suffer any consequences in this lifetime. Of course, there will be consequences on the other side of the veil and if/when he returns to another lifetime that crime has to be balanced out/paid for. So though I understood why Watch Commander did what he did, I thought it was a waste.

Druggie was obviously going to be convicted, so Watch Commander should just have let the process play through, but I guess it made him feel better to take action.

Watch Commander, of course, lost his job, but did no time. He was offered, and took, a position as Head of Security for a hotel chain.

So now I'm seeing this commercial of that little girl delivering dinner, and remembering what happened to Watch Commander’s daughter.

I’m so jaded because I’ve seen and experienced things that most of you only hear about or read about as having happened.

This is just one horror story from my repertoire of real life experience, but I'm not bitter, just distrusting ─ jaded.

8 comments:

  1. write down what you did to make your "corned beef hash" so you can repeat the process.

    I ain't watching the HL commercial cause they suck. and the daughter has to live with the rape for the rest of her life. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to write it down because I've made something before that tasted great, but then forgot what it was. LOL. And yes, you're right about Watch Commander's daughter having to live with it for the rest of her life.

      Delete
  2. Hobby Lobby has so many pastel cutesy religious knick-knacks and plaques that it's annoying. Also, they refuse to include birth control in the health insurance package for employees. I went int there once, looking for corn husks for corn-husk dolls. Perhaps the fact that corn husks are used to make tamales turned the guy off. He visibly shuddered when I asked, as if I had asked for a boiled rat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearing the end of my needlepoint project, which is huge, I was looking around for a 30x30 frame. Could not find anywhere, so desperate, tried Hobby Lobby. When I asked an employee a question, she wouldn't even look me in the eye (probably because looking a Black person in the eye was against her religion). She just snapped out a nasty "NO". So I said, "Thanks Karen" as I walked away. LOL. Your experience, my experience, I guess being rude is a job requirement at the Lobby. But they do have some nice items in there. Did you get your husks? You can buy them in the grocery store you know.

      Delete
    2. Fortunately for my project I finally figured that out.

      Delete
    3. I'd get my Corn Husks from the Grocer too... and Hobby Lobby does have some 'Interesting' types, both working there and shopping there.

      Delete
  3. I think you actually look at Life thru the Lens of Experience my Friend. I don't call it Jaded so much as walking in Intuition that often probably Serves you quite well!? The Rose Colored Glasses can be so deceptive for people to always have as their Life's Lens. Often, when I have let my Instincts and Intuition fail me and am not a bit Cynical, shit happens... After you commented I re-assessed the exchange with Old Lady who pawed thru our Cart with a disingenuous grin and Saccharine facade, The Man's Instincts were as yours were and before we'd gotten to the Truck he expressed how unsettling to him she was. I think you both were spot on about her, I'm glad our exchange was brief and her germs didn't get all over us enough to make us potentially Sick with the Rona. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jaded too. I think that by the time you get to my age, you have seen a lot of "this is what can happen".

    ReplyDelete