Friday, May 29, 2020

Today Was THAT Day

Today was a perfectly pleasant day of running errands ─ got Jeep’s tire pressure checked, stopped by bank’s ATM, stopped by Home Depot for cricket glue strips to lay by the patio window to keep crickets from coming in ─ when I open the patio window for air in the late evenings, and was headed to Sprouts, bopping and singing along to music on country/western station KFROG. THEN I saw this.


My mood changed and I found myself trying to telepathically transmit the thought ─ “So, how’s it going?” to the driver of that car.
If I were she, what with the pandemic, murder of Black people ─ though not a new thing but a thing getting a lot of attention because it’s become so openly egregious, and the subsequent rioting, I’d have been too embarrassed to sport that bumper sticker, would have scratched it off.
When the light changed, and I saw the car looked to also be turning into the lane leading to Sprouts, I told myself that, if she parked near me, I’d point to the sticker and ask her in person, “How’s that working out for you”.
Unfortunately, or lucky for me to save me from my now off-centered self, she turned away from Sprouts and towards Burger King.
I don’t even remember what I’d gone to Sprouts for, but I lucked up on gluten free hot dog buns and organic masa ─ which is the same as gluten free, nothing in it but yellow corn and a trace of lime, which purchases put me back on center, out of thinking about the ugliness going on and that MAGA crap.
Back at the complex, I ran into Next Door Neighbor coming up the stairs same time as I. She indicated she’d gotten onto Yelp, read the review and said, “It’s a good thing they didn’t hear from me!” 
She then went inside her unit, I opened my door, walked in and, before I could put the groceries down, my eyes went to the smoke detector still hanging from the ceiling since January 9 ─ in spite of management saying, “We’ll look into it” at the February 24th Community Meeting, well before the lockdown.


Funny how it is that I’ve become so accustomed to the hanging smoke detector that I stopped noticing it ... that is until today. Something inside rose up and said “Today is that day”.
Suddenly remembering what I’d said about companies paying attention to Yelp reviews, I didn’t even wait to put groceries away. I booted up the laptop and posted a review.
“I’ve been living here 8 years and, although overall it’s a nice place to live, there have been annoying issue that go unresolved. One, like the previous reviewer, is the call box not working … for years. Another, for me, is a defective smoke detector in my unit, reported so many times, with no permanent resolution, that I just gave up reporting, purchased batteries and learned how to replace batteries myself to stop the hours and hours and hours of incessant beeping, every few seconds, every few weeks. When whatever is wrong with the detector caused it to fall out of the ceiling on January 9, I didn’t figure anyone would pay attention if I reported it so I've been living with it. However, at the Community Meeting on February 24, I took a chance at being heard and reported, in that meeting, in front of resident witnesses, that it had fallen out of the ceiling. It was the same ole same ole “We’ll look into it”, and I’m still waiting. It’s been like this since January 9.
I attached that photo to the review and, the only rating options being a low Meh ─I’ve experienced better or a middle A-OK or top Yah! I’m a fan, gave the complex what I thought was fair … the middle rating.
Though I’ve had good results with Yelp reviews producing resolutions in the past ─ once at a car dealership where us customers waited for hours and hours and hours, after our cars were serviced and ready to pick up, before we were told our cars were ready and had been. They even lost one woman’s car. Told her she’d picked it up already. LOL.
I was contacted after that negative review and not charged for several future maintenance services.
Will be interesting to see if management pays attention and finally does something about my smoke detector.
I’m not holding my breath.
So anyway, with buns to freeze for the next hot dog day ─ 4th of July and, with chicken now in the slow cooker for filling, tomorrow will be masa day and tamales to the freezer so I won’t have to cook again for days.

13 comments:

  1. Good for you. Another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. When it hits you, then you gotta do it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time I'm on the West coast I'll come by and fix that for you. I'm sure it will still be hanging there whenever that might be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great , Shirley! I am so happy you got things going today. Goodness knows you gave them long enough to do something! I wish I could hug you tonight,!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to take a key to that car...but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to see you did the Yelp post. I too have gotten lots of results from my Yelp critiques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was time to hold them accountable … and they did ask, didn't they. LOL.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you focused on what uplifted you and managed to stay centered in spite of the MAGA Maniac encounter. With the unraveling of America and the Administration stoking the flames of violence, Racism, putting Money before the lives of precious Citizens, it's all Too Much, isn't it? The World is watching America unravel as we now must confront that which has been ignored and left to fester too long. Of coarse, now that he's completely lost control of a Nation, the extremists will be added to the fray and he's too stupid to even not encourage that, which is alarming. Good Leadership tries to unify and present solutions... he wouldn't know how to do that and is too incendiary, he's adding fuel to a fire already raging out of control. Coupled with an out of control Plague, this is not likely to have a Happy Ending unless we obtain Real Leadership STAT and collectively insist Wrongs be FINALLY made Right! People are exhausted from the disparities and the Virus made them so obvious that nobody can deny them, tho' sadly some still try to find excuses to. Glad you did the Yelp Review to put frustration to Words at the Neglect at your complex. Virtual Hugs.

    ReplyDelete