Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Carded

I got carded this morning.
Deciding I needed to run by the bank for emergency cash, I drove out of the area.
Passing Costco, I noticed there is no longer a line around the building. There was a short line near the front door, so it appears panic buying is over and the line was probably due to a limit of how many can be inside at one time.
Entering the bank, I saw they’d finally caught on and spaced the open tellers every other window, rather than side by side.
If you will recall, it freaked me out last time I did banking because, though we were spaced self-distance apart in the line to the teller, once at the teller I found myself sandwiched between a customer way too close to my left and another way too close to my right, which prompted me to tell the teller to pass on to his manager the suggestion the open windows be spaced out.
I don’t imagine MY suggestion had much merit, but someone evidently woke up and distanced the tellers.
At any rate, I learned there is now a limit as to how much cash can be requested through the pin machine. I’m not talking about the limit imposed on ATMs outside the bank, I’m talking about there’s now a limit on how much one can request inside, using the pin at the teller window.
I don’t know if this is everywhere, but this new restriction certainly surprised me. I don't see the logic.
The funds were there so I say to the teller, “Do you mean this is all I can take out?”.
“No. You can take out more, but not through the pin. I have to write out a withdrawal slip for you”.
And that’s what the teller did, but isn’t that what we did before the age of technology ─ fill out deposit and withdrawal slips? Are we now reverting to kicking it old school?
THEN he carded me ─ “Do you have a valid form of ID?”
Pre-pandemic, it sufficed that I entered the pin, but I guess this new request is due to our mask wearing.
I showed him my drivers’ license, got what I wanted and was outta there thinking to myself that the license couldn’t have been all that helpful because I was wearing a mask and he couldn’t be sure the faces matched, but whatever. It’s a new world out there.
I swung by the craft store on my way back to the freeway and noticed there is also no longer a 3-hour line around that building. Just a few folks in line along the front.
I didn’t join in. I’ll wait until things go back to when I can walk right in.
I guess the golf course is essential, because I saw a group playing on the greens. Couldn’t see if they were wearing masks.
Safely back at the complex, I checked my phone and saw this ....


Ooooh look John Gray, Walking Dead’s Darryl tweeted me goodnight.  LOL!

6 comments:

  1. The mask was probably the factor that prompted the 'ID please' request. I'm not sure what the pin thing at the teller is. Sometime ago they took my picture. So now when I give my account number to them, my picture pops up on their screen. I'd pull down my mask and flash them if they wanted me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pin is my bank ID, it calls up my account, no picture. But if they're going to be requiring IDs because of masks from now on, then adding a picture would be a great idea.

      Delete
  2. I saw a hilarious meme about the Social Distancing thing only being in the front to back portion of lines to use an ATM... AS IF the Virus can't move SIDEWAYS! *LMAO* But it's True, and my Bank did it too and I also mentioned it since some Dude was coughing at one Teller Window and tho' she was behind bullet proof glass, all us other Customers were not and we don't know why the Guy had a Cough, so I was mortified, stuck there in line, with someone too close BESIDE us to feel Distanced ENOUGH! Those were the longest 2 Weeks of my Life afterwards to ensure I hadn't caught anything from Cough Guy and didn't develop symptoms! *Whew!* My Granddaughter said she can tell how Anxious it makes me now when we are out anywhere and even if people are 6 feet away, I want them to be FURTHER away and I guess my expression speaks volumes... and it made her Smile but also concerned for my level of Anxiety about it... since she too has Anxiety Issues... I never used to... now I do! It's like always waiting to catch this damned thing eventually, no matter how careful we are... because of coarse this Administration Cares less about any of us... and especially those of us not of his Cult Lunatic Fringe 'kind'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe they didn't see how idiotic not to see sideways was in the first place, but at least it's been corrected. And I'm with you about being anxious. Considering how some people are behaving, it's necessary to be so.

      Delete
  3. My credit union requires an ID (driver's license) and they put the number into their computer along with my account number. It all has to match. Which is just fine with me. As for lines, the last time I stopped at the credit union, there was a long line around the building to get in. I think they are really limiting the number of people in the building. Our county has set the rule of 1 person per 500 square feet of building space. I left as I didn't want to stand outside in line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at the thought of identifying you with your mask on. This should teach us all a little patience and understanding as rules are instituted to keep us safe - unless, of course, you want to go to a bar packed with other non-mask wearing individuals.

    ReplyDelete