Tuesday, October 2, 2018

You Had Me at Crafts

Having seen no Activity Calendar this second day of Halloween, and having no desire to mingle with the seniors, the plan for today was to continue my self-imposed exile ─ needlepoint, tv programs, reading, meditation.
Best as I can determine, it’s now been 26 days since I last visited the Community Room to catch up with the folks. And though I’ve been curious as to what’s been happening on the property, i.e., did the young lady living with her grandma have her baby yet ... have The Seer and Shadow moved in together yet ... is Apache still on the warpath over the pitbull ... will the mailbox area ever be repaired, I’ve not been curious enough to head down for updates.
THEN, along about 11:00, while standing by the kitchen window, I saw what looked like the Activity Calendar posted to neighbor’s door.
If she’s got one, I’ve got one, thought I.
Checking my door, there the calendar was.
Not much on it. No mention of a Halloween Costume contest, which is fine because so few participated last year and I’ve made plans for two out-of-town costumed 5Ks to make the season fun for me.
There was, however, mention of a Halloween Breakfast Potluck, on the 23rd and a Crafts session at noon ... TODAY!
It was already 11:00, the class was to start in an hour, I almost missed being notified, so good job on getting the word out ... not.
At any rate, the calendar didn’t say what kind of craft, just that someone other than Activity Director was presenting the session, which meant it was probably going to be worth attending.
I made myself presentable and got down to the Community Room around 11:50, announcing to Activity Director as I entered, “You know how to get me down her ... just mention the word crafts”.

Mini Chalkboard

Chatting with others, as they trickled in (some barely learning of and attending the session, others finding out and showing up too late to attend), I learned the young pregnant girl is no longer "showing". Folks are assuming she had her situation “taken care of”. Also learned that, though The Seer and Shadow have not yet moved in together, he’s been staying overnight and pushing for a move-in because his lease is up for renewal and, yes, Apache is now making himself a thorn in the side of the new Community Manager over the pitbull and other issues. The Housing Department has given management until the 6th of Halloween to have the mailboxes repaired. I do not know what happens if that deadline is not met.
Apache actually sat at my table, to work on his craft project, and began to brag about how he was putting pressure on the new Community Manager. I told him I thought he was being a bully and should stop harassing the poor girl. 
Didn’t faze him one bit to be called a bully. I think he enjoyed the label.
So that’s the tea on what’s been happening with the seniors, since I last reported on them.
The chalkboard was a fun project, the process was to first paint the inside board with black chalk paint, decorate the outside edges with paint sticks, add a hanging ribbon and voilĂ .






On tap for tomorrow is the first suggested service on the Jeep.
It was my understanding that first service was 5,000 miles but, inasmuch as I’ve had the car for 7 months and only put on 2,500 miles, I’d better go by months, rather than miles, for things like oil change, tire rotation, and whatever else it is they do.

3 comments:

  1. Your project is cute.
    As for your car, you really don't need an oil change yet at 2500, it goes by mileage and usage. I'm sure they will take your money though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, but too late to cancel. What I'll do is pull up to the service bay, say I'm not sure I need the service with only 2500 miles after 7 months and see what happens. Will at least give me an opportunity to ask questions about the car on things I've not yet been able to figure out.

      Delete
  2. You are such a hoot. Can't wait to read more posts.

    ReplyDelete