Sunday, October 28, 2018

Halloween Wigged Out 5K

After almost a 2-hour drive, I arrived in Costa Mesa on Friday, to pick up the race package (tee shirt and bib).


I couldn’t believe it when I parked on the lot, stepped out of the car and, all of a sudden, the black jacket I’d gotten for granddaughter’s Negan costume flashed through my mind and I realized I’d forgotten to bring it.
For a second, I lost my mind and was tempted to drive 2 hours back, in heavy traffic, to get it.
I nixed putting myself through that, but it bothered me all night that her costume wouldn’t be authentic without the jacket.
Arriving at the hotel, I pulled back the drapes to get a look at the Queen Mary.

A Halloween Pikachu tried to obscure my view

I never get tired of looking at the Queen Mary off in the distance, whenever I'm in Long Beach, but look is all I'll do. I did once get up close enough to board, but opted not to because she’s haunted and I didn’t want to risk an incorporeal being attaching itself to me.
From the looks of huge spider webs on the hotel doors, one might think the place is infested with giant arachnids.



Not so. It was decorations for a Halloween Party in the conference room seeping out.
I love Halloween.
After a good night’s sleep, it was race day. The weather was nice and cool, but a lot was obscured from view because of the fog.
I needn’t have worried about the lack of Negan’s jacket, because Lucille, Negan’s bat, was easily recognized and garnered a lot of good-natured laughs and high-fives along the path from non-participant beach goers who were obviously fans of The Walking Dead, and from a group of young volunteers, also obvious TWD fans.
Especially since granddaughter painted a beard on her face.


One fan and her Mario dad asked for a photo op.


This wasn’t as big a race as I’d imagined ─ I’d say only about 300, but there were some interesting sights.





Warming Up to Michael J's Thriller





I WISH! But this was for the 10K people


Granddaughter and I did well in crossing the finish line in 1:03:35, considering I had to wear old shoes that had long ago lost their resilience -- because of that problem with the new ones, and thus I could feel the pavement, which caused me to struggle because every step hurt the bottom of my feet and sent shockwaves through my spine.
It occurred to me later the old shoes could have benefitted from a Dr. Scholl’s insert.
Inasmuch as I also can’t wear the new red/white/blue shoes for Sunday’s Wonder Woman 5K, I’ll have to wear the old red/white/blue, but I’ll be sure to test them out and add Dr. Scholl’s cushioning if need be.
One lives, one learns.

Medal No ??? for me. Lost count at 36

Granddaughter's 2nd Medal

Pulling back the drapes this morning for one last look at the Queen before I headed back to the Inland Empire, I found she’s wasn't blocked by Pikachu, instead it was fog obscuring my view.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly do yourself proud with those runs. What doesn't kill us makes us Stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's not easy, but so much fun that I keep plugging away.

      Delete