Thursday, October 18, 2018

No Vacancy

Waking up yesterday morning, opening the blinds to let in the sun, I spied a patio chair on the upstairs unit across the quad ─ the unit which just recently became vacant when, according to Nosey (resident in corner unit downstairs across the quad) the resident had Stage 4 cancer and was moved out and in with one of his sons.
It appears someone moved in on Tuesday, when I was away at the DMV.
That was fast.
Later yesterday, heading out to run errands, including a stop at Target to pickup granddaughter’s Negan costume jacket, I spied Nosey out on her patio. Assuming she’d have the 411, I asked “Did someone move into the upstairs unit?”
“Yes. His name is _____, he’s a Black man and doesn’t walk so good.”
LOL.
Doesn’t sound like we’ve added any eye candy to the quad, but also doesn’t sound like someone who’s going to change our mostly pleasant dynamics. I say "mostly" because there's still that weird young lady in the unit beneath mine who keeps a low profile and warned me off by saying, "I don't like people!" when she moved in and I tried to welcome her.
While at Target, I picked up a few incidentals I didn’t know I needed until I saw them, and also spotted a coffee mug I knew my married daughter would love.
I bought one for her, one for her partner and two gift bags.
At checkout, I took my attention off the cashier, just for a moment, to load the PokémonGo app to see if the store’s Starbucks was a Pokéstop.
It was.
When I turned my attention back to the cashier, instead of giving me a Target bag, he had opened one of my gift bags, crammed both mugs in (without safety wrapping), had opened the other gift bag and was in the process of inserting other purchases in that one.
“OMG! what are you doing?” said I.
He mumbled something I couldn’t understand.
"Those are gift bags ... use a Target bag", said I incredulously.
He made no effort to properly repackage the mugs and, not trusting him to know what proper handling looked like, I took them out of the gift bag and just settled them in the cart as is, with the plan to use the tissue paper I’d also purchased to wrap and protect once I was out of the line.
Which I did, but what a dufus.
And no, he wasn’t a kid, a child who didn’t have a clue. He looked to be one of those laid-back millennials who, even if he wasn't accustomed to using his brain, should at least have been experienced enough to know you wrap breakables in paper before bagging, and you do not bag purchases in just purchased gift bags.
On tap for today?
With nothing on my plate I must do, I might join the seniors for Bingo.

5 comments:

  1. Some people would be dangerous if they had a brain!

    It sounds like your seniors community would make a great sitcom. Maybe you should compile a bunch of your stories and submit them to one of the major networks or try Netflix, Hulu or Amazon prime. What's the worst that could happen? At our age, hearing "no" isn't anything new and who knows? Maybe you'd get a yes and you'd make the place famous...or should that be infamous? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it with "some people would be dangerous if they had a brain". LOL. There is a new sitcom on TV centered around a senior complex called "The Cool Kids". So far, it's not entertaining. Blogging about life here is way more entertaining AND cathartic.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shirley! I'm glad you left a comment on my blog so I could link back to yours via your profile and become a new follower. I think I'm going to enjoy your blog very much! I've already stolen a meme from off your sidebar, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You probably stole the meme I stole, so all's fair. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Don't you have to bring your own bags to target now. We do. Glad nothing broke.

    ReplyDelete