Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Pizza Tuesday

Getting worried about Nosey — the neighbor in the downstairs corner across-the-quad unit that nothing gets by, I thought I’d check in with the folks this Pizza Tuesday morning to gather intel.
What has me worried about Nosey is, passing her unit returning from running errands yesterday, she saw me through the open patio window, called out my name and hurried out to the patio to say she was warning all of us in the quad to be on alert because, “The woman in that unit (pointing to my next-door neighbor’s unit) had her car stolen”.
“Do you mean L____”, said a stunned I.
My next-door neighbor being the woman who’d had such a difficult time adjusting to our simple level of living here, what with her background of being large and in charge as a State Commissioner, ordering staff about, always on the go, hanging out at fancy places, attending fancy events, hobnobbing with the rich and powerful.
It took her a little over two years to accept this not-fancy senior complex is her new normal, but evidently not really, because in an effort to recapture the past, she got herself elected to the position of President of the Residents’ Volunteer Activity Committee, then got herself quickly impeached because she was considered rude, imperialistic, treated other members of the committee as her employees/servants.
Nosey confirmed yes, it was L____ and, while Nosey was talking, I glanced over to where next-door neighbor parks and saw her car in its regular spot.
“Isn’t that her car right there?” asked I.
Nosey looked over and said, “No. That’s another car here that’s similar to hers”.
Skeptical at this point, I asked, “Who told you her car was stolen?”
“She did. She said she had a bar on it and everything, and only has liability”.
That’s pretty specific, so I walked away confused. Maybe there was another car that looked just like hers. Maybe they stole her car and returned it. I didn’t know.
However, later catching next-door neighbor taking out the trash, I asked, “Did Maxine get stolen?” Maxine being the name she’s given her late model Nissan.
She looked concerned for a second, looked over to where she parks, then said, “No. It’s there”.
Neighbor knew nothing about any car being stolen and said she’d had no such conversation with Nosey.
Either Nosey is pre-cognizant or losing it.
In the Community Room this morning, I learned there’s stuff going on, which has to do with Apache’s ongoing feud with management, but nothing about a stolen car.
Off to the market afterwards, I stopped by Nosey’s patio, got her attention and said I’d spoken to L____, her car had not been stolen.
“NO, not L_____ ..... HER! The woman who walks around with a breathing tank” (and she pointed upstairs but around the corner).
I’m not sure who that is, but why then didn’t she say so when she'd pointed upwards yesterday and I'd asked if she meant L_____ and she’d said yes? And why did she give me that song and dance about a similar looking car in L____'s parking space?
At any rate, since Nosey is the only one who says a car was stolen, I'll be playing it safe, just in case, and locking the bar on my steering wheel, instead of just slipping it on, for appearance sake, without locking.
Also, in the Community Room, I saw on TV that Whitey Bulger passed away.
True confession time ....
I uttered out loud that I’d developed a mad crush on Whitey after seeing Johnny Depp portray him in Black Sabbath, and that I’d researched Whitey and found he was drop dead handsome when he was younger. Oddly enough, another resident said she’d had the same experience of falling for Whitey after seeing Black Sabbath. We had a good laugh over “We always fall for the bad guys”, as she put it.
“Because they’re sexy and exciting”, added I.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Some things never change ... falling for the bad guy. Who says you get wiser as you get older?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. What can I say. My other crush is Bill Clinton. Good guy, bad guy, I don't know.

      Delete